BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
joancabeza

Re: FreeCAD posts from Yorik's blog

Post by joancabeza »

yorik wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm I am personally not a fan of building "weightless" models first and then turn them into BIM models, I prefer the contrary, but I understand this is a question of choice and many people want the first method. Ideally this should work both ways. That's where that "relationship table" is interesting, it is basically bidirectional...
What it's true is that normally in the design process first you'll work in a model to create a proposal (FreeCAD) and when you are more or less satisfied with it you are going to begin with the energy analysis
damian

Post by damian »

yorik wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pmTopo naming
How can I say about this concern? Go back to change the geometries never will be a good idea. Even with a magic FreeCAD solution for topo name, I'll have serious difficulties to apply it. I can't do anything, except to handle the simplest cases.
Besides the workflow must be strongly ruled to the E+ old laws.

Edit: The generation of zones and surfaces from a base sketch (I'm using two sketches, one exterior and one interior, and applying the boolean fragments example) must be done once at the user order. A posterior modification of the base sketch can't produce an automatic actualization of the surfaces. That will be a crazy house. It must open a driven process that unfortunately and frequently finish losing previous work done by the user, for instance, a material specification.
damian

Post by damian »

joancabeza wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm normally in the design process
Frequently the energetic studies are done over existing buildings, and you don't have planes, and you need to go to the building and take measuring.
The no thickness model allows you a faster lifting, mainly because of spaces and surfaces born together. And later? Later I want my building with thickness! And this is the other side of the coin.
The next question is: could a unique solution cover the two directions?. Probably we will need two different solutions.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Cheers for your work, damian.
I cannot wait to test this energy wb.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
damian

Post by damian »

received today at 19:00
Whole-building energy modeling (BEM) is a multi-purpose enabling technology for improving building energy performance. The U.S. Department of Energy’s Building Technologies Office (BTO) has supported BEM research and development for decades. A significant part of BTO’s strategy is funding and managing the development of BEM software. The focus has largely been on physics engines such as DOE-2 and EnergyPlus but BTO has developed some applications as well. One highly visible example is the OpenStudio Application, a graphical model editing environment that works in conjunction with the OpenStudio SketchUp plug-in. Together, these have been responsible for a significant increase in EnergyPlus adoption.

Despite the success of the OpenStudio Application the most expedient and effective growth channel for BEM is applications and services. After a year-long discussion with industry stakeholders, including the IBPSA-USA Advocacy Committee, BTO has decided to transition responsibility for management, development, distribution, and support of the OpenStudio Application to third parties by April 2020. BTO plans to retain the OpenStudio SDK—the non-graphical components of the project that support application development and large-scale simulation—within its open-source BEM software portfolio. BTO and the national labs will spend the next 18-plus months working to maximize the chances of a successful transition and to minimize disruption to existing OpenStudio Application users. BTO and the labs plan to engage stakeholders throughout this process to both provide updates and receive feedback. A more in-depth discussion detailing the components involved and expected timeline for transition is available at https://www.openstudio.net/node/2226. Questions, concerns, or comments about this plan can be sent to openstudio@nrel.gov.
damian

Post by damian »

I forgot to say that I have a compiled openstudio (don't remember the version) in ubuntu 14 with the python bindings.
Also, I have thirty or forty lines of python statements in order to initialize the bindings (working with the idd dictionary, object creation, etc). The basic steps.
I say it because someone could compile the program and spend two or three days for understanding its logic with the C documentation. Perhaps this could help to someone ...
Regards
damian

Post by damian »

The bindings must work with py3, and we will migrate to qt5 soon ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I didn't even know openstudio had python bindings or even an API... :oops:
damian

Post by damian »

The default binding is ruby. Optionally Java, C#, JavaScript, Python.
damian

Post by damian »

It would be nice three or four freecad users interested in to use these bindings. The main difficulty, until now, is that freecad is QT4.