BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:21 pm Here I'll show how to import a FreeCAD model into it and do very basic rendering:
Thanks Yorik.
Watching your video I was thinking in the opposite workflow than FreeCAD modeling -> Blender Rendering.
I mean, It makes sense if you use Blender for rapid modeling and visualisation of project alternatives before going into the BIM modeling process with FreeCAD for construction. Blender conceptual design and visualisation -> FreeCAD BIM Modeling of the approved design.

Even, you can use Meshroom (free) for photogrammetry of the site, import that information in blender as reference, and start modeling conceptual or preliminary designs. Once the design is agreed, you could import the blender file (with the photogrametry model and the preliminary building model) into FreeCAd to use them as reference objects for the BIM process modeling (maybe using external reference object to avoid overloading the FreeCAd file with meshes). Not shure if a specific importer for blender files would facilitate this process...
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, I'm also thinking of that: A Blender exporter that would export a FreeCAD file, already with objects as Part shapes, with inner subdivisions removed. That could be quite powerful.

However there is quite a lot of topology cleaning to do, detect coplanar regions, etc...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:01 pm
However there is quite a lot of topology cleaning to do, detect coplanar regions, etc...
well, sure if you want to transform all Blender geometries into FreeCAD objects. But, still, it would be useful if you just keep the Blender geometries as a single mesh to be used as contextual data. As a reference image.
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

That can be done already, simply by exporting to obj or dae. But the mesh->to->shape operation in FreeCAD takes time, it could be done right from the start in Blender..
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

bitacovir wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm Watching your video I was thinking in the opposite workflow than FreeCAD modeling -> Blender Rendering.
I mean, It makes sense if you use Blender for rapid modeling and visualisation of project alternatives before going into the BIM modeling process with FreeCAD for construction. Blender conceptual design and visualisation -> FreeCAD BIM Modeling of the approved design.
This is precisely my interest. Actually something like Blender (for concept design) -> Freecad (for design development, BIM, schedules etc) -> Blender (for visualisation).

Actually, actually, it's a mixed bag using each software to what they do best (This is my current workflow with Rhino and Blender, constantly back and forth). Not sure what the way to actually itemize elements imported from Blender would be.
yorik wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:01 pm A Blender exporter that would export a FreeCAD file, already with objects as Part shapes, with inner subdivisions removed. That could be quite powerful.
That would be super useful.

On the retopo side of things, wondering if there is some other open source library out there to get from mesh to nurbs that could be incorporated to clean the process?

There are a few bugs that maybe a worth mentioning here. I'haven't been able to insert custom windows and doors from the part library seamlessly into a wall. Wondering if anyone else had a similar issue? I have to generally insert an object, clone it, and manually subtract it from a wall.

Also, not sure if there would be a chance to see some sort of basic curtain wall feature soon?

In relation to curtain walls, the Tissue plugin in Blender is able to create framed panels that preserve the material distances. Here is the conversation: https://blenderartists.org/t/tissue-by- ... 646071/323

If not a curtain wall feature, then having a way to import the geometry from blender and create a part could a be a way.
Opus

Post by Opus »

yorik wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:01 pm A Blender exporter that would export a FreeCAD file, already with objects as Part shapes, with inner subdivisions removed. That could be quite powerful.
Stephen Leger, the developer of the Blender Archipack addon, is planning, by the end of the year, an archipack -> freeCad gateway that keeps the parametric side of objects.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Opus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am Stephen Leger, the developer of the Blender Archipack addon, is planning, by the end of the year, an archipack -> freeCad gateway that keeps the parametric side of objects.
Awesome. Source?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Opus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am Stephen Leger, the developer of the Blender Archipack addon, is planning, by the end of the year, an archipack -> freeCad gateway that keeps the parametric side of objects.
Really?? That would be good.
And there is this Add-on project by Moult to use Blender to create IFC files
https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpen ... /README.md
Maybe IFC format can be a bridge to operate Blender designs in FreeCAD.
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

dimitar wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:44 am I'haven't been able to insert custom windows and doors from the part library seamlessly into a wall. Wondering if anyone else had a similar issue? ...
As I understand, the parts_library is full of old files. Most of them were created with an old version of FreeCAD, maybe 0.16 and earlier, so the Windows and Doors don't make use of the newer features in Arch. The geometries load, but if you open the files themselves (they are individual .FCstd files), you'll see that the objects have some issues. Basically, I think the Windows and Doors need to be re-created, and re-submitted to the parts_library repository.

As for a curtain wall, I can't remember a specific conversation about it. I think somebody in the forum has mentioned it, but I'm not sure.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Opus

Post by Opus »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Awesome. Source?
This comes from Stephen himself, on a French discord dedicated to Blender (Blenderlounge).
Maybe Stephen or Yorik could confirm.
stephen-l wrote: ping
yorik wrote: ping