BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
marcin_ose

Re: BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

Post by marcin_ose »

Here is a simple full BOM generation pipeline using brute force methods - but completely workable pending proper manangement of part libraries and modules for complicated design. This is how we intent to generate full BOMs of the Seed Eco-Home 2 launching in 2021. The BOM generation workflow is this - https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki ... _Generator
Founder, Open Source Ecology
http://opensourceecology.org/
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks, just have read the wiki. Would like to see any demo if possible and further development :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Hey marcin, hope OSE Is doing well during the pandemic.
Just as paulllee said, a POC would be nice to see.
BTW, has OSE migrated to 0.18.4/0.19 yet ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

For me the main big parts we still need to address to not have any more shame in calling FreeCAD fully fit for professional use are:

1) Working with big files.This is not only OUR problem, mostly the way IFC files are made. Big IFC files are like 1 or 2 Gb in size, with tenths of thousands of entities. All BIM apps take way too long to swallow those files. And the people who made them definitely not intend to work any further with them. I think these files need to be broken down into more usable structures. I pretty often do the same routine: Import an IFC file, separate it into several files, group objects into buildingParts, then reference those buildingParts into a "master" model, then I can start working. What e need there I believe is above all finding good workflows that work, and document them. And probably also refine our tools to ease those workflows.

With a well-separated model, with many subfiles, it begins to be totally possible to attack big models with FreeCAD... And I didn't even start much with realthunder's link stuff

2) Generating 2D drawings. Currently it's almost impossible to use TechDraw's tools for big models, and the annotation process is too slow. I think our best path forward (ATM) is to generate TechDraw views from coin view, and use TechDraw only as a kind of container. I saw realthunder also thinking about the question, there might be news coming from there too.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm
2) Generating 2D drawings. Currently it's almost impossible to use TechDraw's tools for big models, and the annotation process is too slow. I think our best path forward (ATM) is to generate TechDraw views from coin view, and use TechDraw only as a kind of container. I saw realthunder also thinking about the question, there might be news coming from there too.
So. The idea is to draw the drawings in the 3D space with Draft WB tools (dimension and annotation included) and just to use in TechDraw the DraftView tool and ArchView tool to arrange a page layout of images?
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

That would be how it works internally. And it would still be possible to continue to do it that way.

But I'd also like to have an alternative, better workflow, maybe based on an intermediary view, for ex:

1) You place a section plane
2) by "activating" (somehow) that section plane, you place yourself into a new view, that is orthogonal to that section plane, has a white background, and that has its geometry cut (and maybe optionally everything outside the viewed objects is hidden) and the working plane already placed. Basically what you do in Revit. But in FreeCAD it would still be a normal 3D view, only it doesn't look like one :)
3) There you place your dimensions, texts, etc

So you would get a "TechDraw-like", 2D environment, but still in the 3D document.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

isn't that similar to what i was experimenting?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Can you explain or show your studies somehwere ? Thanks.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

yorik wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm So you would get a "TechDraw-like", 2D environment, but still in the 3D document.
If realthunder and me would have continued the work we have started here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p396926 we would already have this... Unfortunately other users and he decided to prioritize development of other things.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

carlopav wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:21 pm isn't that similar to what i was experimenting?
Yes absolutely!