Drawing, Draft View of a Arch Section in solid mode has problems

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Drawing, Draft View of a Arch Section in solid mode has problems

Post by bernd »

Attached a file. With drawing I made a Draft View of a Arch Section. In wireframe mode everything is fine but in solid mode the view is wrong. Attached the file and a screen.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.8796 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: e5045f72e954ec295318f5271e9ffddd95b73847
Python version: 2.7.9
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
archsectiontest3.FCStd
(92.74 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Drawing, Draft View of a Arch Section in solid mode has problems

Post by yorik »

Yes the solid renderer still has lots of bugs... But this one seems really a bit too much :) I'll look into it.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I tried with TechDraw too. If it would work with TechtDraw it would be fine, but it doesn't work at all with TechDraw. viewtopic.php?f=8&p=143119#p143119

Is there another possibility to get building front views and building isometric views with colors on the drawing by FreeCAD than by the use of ArchSection and Render Mode solid?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

If you use techdraw's Part View tool, it will paint the faces. But I'm not sure you have full control over the color, you might need to tweak in inkscape.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I had a look at your example, this is complex, there are a lot of curves, and the solid rendering algo is rather simple, it basically projects all the faces on the projection plane, then does Z-sorting to order the faces according to their original Z distance to the projection plane. This is very error-prone, specially with this kind of scenario where a face can be at the same time in front of and behind another one... The solid renderer is much more reliable when using only flat faces.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:I had a look at your example, this is complex, there are a lot of curves, and the solid rendering algo is rather simple, it basically projects all the faces on the projection plane, then does Z-sorting to order the faces according to their original Z distance to the projection plane. This is very error-prone, specially with this kind of scenario where a face can be at the same time in front of and behind another one... The solid renderer is much more reliable when using only flat faces.
Thanks Yorik. mhh means a very bad example since 99.9% of the faces from the buildings I would like to put on the drawing are flat. I will try with another example. It was just the fastest way to go to part wb and press the buttons from left to right one by one and make a fusion of them.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ah, i fixed techdraw now. It should work there too.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:ah, i fixed techdraw now. It should work there too.
Yeah! :D I saw it already. I'm playing with both TechDraw and Drawing. BTW: Is it possible to place a jpg on a Drawing page. As a workaround I could export the screen to jpg and place the jpg on a Drawing page. I would get rid of the LibreOffice in a first step.

It is not possible to export the screen to a 2D svg similar to Menue Tools --> save picture as jpg but to a 2D svg, or is it?!

BTW: All this afford is not only for the documents I need to make for my buildings. Once we start to try to put FEM results onto pages this will come back ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It's not possible at the moment, but inkscape can embed jpgs into a document. So we should be able to do it too. A workaround for now is to create a new doc in inkscape, embed a jpg image, save it and add the svg as a symbol in Drawing or TechDraw

We could extend the symbol object to suport bimap images... I'd also like to extend it to support embed (all the data is included into the FCStd file, like it is now), or link (the data stays in the linked file)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote:It is not possible to export the screen to a 2D svg similar to Menue Tools --> save picture as jpg but to a 2D svg, or is it?!
yorik wrote:It's not possible at the moment,
That would be cool to have including the face fillings and transparency ...
yorik wrote: but inkscape can embed jpgs into a document. So we should be able to do it too. A workaround for now is to create a new doc in inkscape, embed a jpg image, save it and add the svg as a symbol in Drawing or TechDraw
Thanks for the tip! works for me on Drawing and TechDraw
yorik wrote:We could extend the symbol object to suport bimap images... I'd also like to extend it to support embed (all the data is included into the FCStd file, like it is now), or link (the data stays in the linked file)
This would be interesting, because I could make a likte macro:
- export to jpg
- place jpg on TechDraw or Drawing Page

My main goal is to put what one sees on FreeCAD screen on a page including the fillings and the transparency.