New experimental feature: Hi-res property in Arch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
damian

Re: New experimental feature: Hi-res property in Arch

Post by damian »

When I do

Code: Select all

w = App.ActiveDocument.Wall
I am selecting the object of the active document with the name "Wall".
If I want to give the property to the object named "Wall003", I must do

w = App.ActiveDocument.Wall003
and give it the property.
If you have a file with one hundred walls, to do this by hand is boring.
In this cases we use a script, which makes the repetitive tasks for us.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

damian wrote:When I do

w = App.ActiveDocument.Wall
I am selecting the object of the active document with the name "Wall".
If I want to give the property to the object named "Wall003", I must do

w = App.ActiveDocument.Wall003
and give it the property.
If you have a file with one hundred walls, to do this by hand is boring.
In this cases we use a script, which makes the repetitive tasks for us.
Can't wait to test. I thought selecting / highlighting the object will be referenced in that "Wall" in the python.

Now I select Wall062 as an example, and it works!

Thanks again providing every steps needed.
damian

Post by damian »

Please, could you make security backup of your files? Always.
Goodbye.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote:
yorik wrote:
So far that is all it does. But it will be easy to extend all other functionality (Techdraw Arch view, etc) to support this, it's just a matter of using a shape instead of another. The Arch OBJ exporter already uses this, if one of the to-be-exported objects is in Hires display mode, the Hires shape will be exported instead of the base one. This also works with Arch clones, if the cloned object has a Hires shape, you can use the Hires display mode on the clone too.
Reading again the first post, I would vote for the following features for which I used most:)

- Array
- Mirror (+ Mirror on MIrror) (maybe Scale)
- Alias Obj Exporter (sorry I reported earlier some issues about Arch OBJ exporter which is though terrific to calculate coplanar surface)
- TechDraw / ArchSectionPlane
... 'Bug' fix on PartComponent? I am thinking of workaround for the time being :)

Definitely very helpful for project with repetitive or even repeating with variations construction!

(I am thinking to organise those repetitive arrangement in an schedule ...)
Hi, I am experimenting my idea to re-arrange my model from bottom to further streamline the workflow and file size (trying Arch Component & Spreadsheet on which I have some problem posted in Help Board) and have some finding and feature request:-

Findings

1. I build an arbitrary Arch Component, then I can refer the Arch Component (Arch Wall etc. in fact) X, Y, Z to a Spreadsheet Cells, without needs to give Alias to the cells. In this wall, my facades (precast) type could be built and the layout of them be presented both based on a spreadsheet - at least the idea on a simple trial version of 3 storey of a facade works.

2. Each Clone of the Arch Component, could in fact, refer to different Hi-Res!!! This could make the Arch Component only a 'placemarker' / 'reference' whatever you like to name it, and I could refer the Hi-Res to different Precast Facade types I have for every storey, every elevation!

Feature Request

3. To achieve idea in point 2 above, I need to select the correct ArchWall (Precast Facade type). It is a long list (see screenshot which show maybe 1/20 of them).

3a. It would be very helpful if the Hi-Res field could also use Formula Expression and I refer it to a Cell in the SpreadSheet, so ideas both in Point 2 as well as Point 1 could be achieved at the same time! (e.g. in this field "=Spreadsheet.F18" / in Spreadsheet.F18 "Facade Type 009" - [internal] name of the object)

3b. For the Hi-Res dialog box, it would be helpful if the listing be organised, e.g. selection by alphabetical, FC object type category, filter etc.
EDIT: (found there is Search function)

Regards.

p.s.
I notice Yorik you used both Part Component + Arch Component in your Wikihouse - any reason for the choice?
Screenshot from 2017-05-07 01-49-55.png
Screenshot from 2017-05-07 01-49-55.png (289.58 KiB) Viewed 2754 times

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10997 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 37a62b4096d7fbfc5295259bcd7977cb713868f8
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

What is a Part component?

Arch components are a really handy thing actually, they have all the properties of other Arch objects, but they don't execute any code. So you can give them a shape, and any other property, but it is incapable of changing its shape alone (unless it is a clone of another component).

I use them a lot for these cases where I build the shape in another way (for ex with PartDesign tools), them give then that shape... Better , for example, than using a wall, which could recalculate its shape any moment.

About the spreadsheet cell, at the moment the spreadsheet can only serve numeric values to properties, so they cannot be used, for example, to attribute an object to a property. That will require a good extension of the expression engine. But certainly it will happen at some point...
foenix

Post by foenix »

Hi,
(I'm new to the Forum and I saw bad translations to german language, so I signed in and need a first post for writing PM to get a permission to help translating...)

about Hi-res feature in Arch: it opens new sights in rooms when you're able to change the wallpattern resolution when you are close to it...

foenix
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote:What is a Part component?

Arch components are a really handy thing actually, they have all the properties of other Arch objects, but they don't execute any code. So you can give them a shape, and any other property, but it is incapable of changing its shape alone (unless it is a clone of another component).

I use them a lot for these cases where I build the shape in another way (for ex with PartDesign tools), them give then that shape... Better , for example, than using a wall, which could recalculate its shape any moment.

About the spreadsheet cell, at the moment the spreadsheet can only serve numeric values to properties, so they cannot be used, for example, to attribute an object to a property. That will require a good extension of the expression engine. But certainly it will happen at some point...

Oh, I mean Part Compound.

I am trying the Arch Component on a Draft Line or Dot just in order to adopt the Hi-Res property on them, it works.

EDIT:
BTW, in wiki "Common Arch component properties", Addition, Subtraction... etc needed to be deleted then?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

paullee wrote:BTW, in wiki "Common Arch component properties", Addition, Subtraction... etc needed to be deleted then?
Hmm you are right... Or make the Arch Component do it.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi, a few more experiment findings just to share.

ArchSection on the Hi-Res models
(see 1st screenshot)
- The leftmost is the original models
- The right 2 are composed of ArchComponent of Hi-Res of original floors / parts
- Note they have different display result on the internal surface of the cut wall / solid (not black)

With previously test to Part Compound the whole building, then using Hi-Res to 'clone' >20 blocks, the file size increase from about 12mB to 22mB (by memory)
- Now I delete that Part Compound of the Whole building block
- Just Part Compound a typical floor
- (in fact just Part Compound 1/4 of typical floor windows only)
- Build another 3 towers all by Arch Component with Hi-Res and Clone all these to different placement and levels
(see 2nd screenshot)

- Currently the file size is just about 15mB
- Without Array working on ArchComponent+Hi-Res (or any Arch Object + Hi-Res), the above process is tedious, take too loooooong to complete
i.e. why the right 2 towers have no complete facades yet
(and Draft Move not working on and bug in the placement input field of ArchComponent reported separately)

Screenshot from 2017-05-29 17-29-16.png
Screenshot from 2017-05-29 17-29-16.png (277.28 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Screenshot from 2017-05-29 17-41-21.png
Screenshot from 2017-05-29 17-41-21.png (303.42 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

A few more finding on Draw Style - except it is 'as is', other Draw Style would not render the Hi-Res objects ...

'as is'
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-54.png
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-54.png (326.96 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-13-48.png
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-13-48.png (248.7 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-00.png
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-00.png (262.91 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-12.png
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-12.png (253.92 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-23.png
Screenshot from 2017-08-06 10-14-23.png (253.27 KiB) Viewed 2361 times