Parametric Arch modelling

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lambda

Re: Parametric Arch modelling

Post by lambda »

paullee wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 am Just curious if you are using OCC7.10, AppImage or whatwever to have problem solved?

I am on Fedora which has OCE 0.6.8 only - Przemof had tried to help me to built a rpm of latest OCC for Fedora, but i have too little knowledge (+ time) to make it.
I'm on debian (having OCE 0.6.9 ATM), so I downloaded the source package from the ubuntu ppa daily builds repository and unpacked and built it on debian manually - just 3 commands to download/unpack/build. Since debian and ubunutu are very compatible, it was that simple. If there is no ready source-rpm then you will have more work to get a rpm for Fedora compiled. Maybe it is easier to just compile OCC from upstream sources locally...

About the sketcher workflow: I just learned about the carbon copy feature, which also allows to stack sketches on each other. I haven't tried if it behaves better or worse then my current workflow, but I think it looks promising.

What I would really like to see, however, is the possibility to give the lines in a sketch names, so that I can reference them from other sketches regardless of the full sketch-geometry.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

lambda wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 am
About the sketcher workflow: I just learned about the carbon copy feature, which also allows to stack sketches on each other. I haven't tried if it behaves better or worse then my current workflow, but I think it looks promising.

What I would really like to see, however, is the possibility to give the lines in a sketch names, so that I can reference them from other sketches regardless of the full sketch-geometry.
YES! Same idea! Name for each edge/ line in sketch, I am thinking a request to be made - I am currently using named constraints and I think if name could be made for edges - sketch.geometry.(named edges/vertex) how good it is! Save 75% of works!

About Carbon Copy, i used it, read carefully the wiki - use constraint + need fully constaints in short, fit some particular cases, not all sketch work.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The ability to give custom names or aliases to geometry (Faces, Edges, Vertices, etc) might be a good idea actually. It would allow to transfer part of the topology naming problem from the shape itself onto the different tools, we talked about that before. But for this to be of any real use, we would also need a stronger function to compare two shapes. At the moment it returns false too often to be useful for shapes "persistence"...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 pm The ability to give custom names or aliases to geometry (Faces, Edges, Vertices, etc) might be a good idea actually. It would allow to transfer part of the topology naming problem from the shape itself onto the different tools, we talked about that before. But for this to be of any real use, we would also need a stronger function to compare two shapes. At the moment it returns false too often to be useful for shapes "persistence"...
:) The first use is to replace Link to External Geometry - which is terribly vulnerable to change.

At the moment I tested named datum constraints to link sketches (weeeeks to learn and write some 'script') to prove in concept it works, but... the screen would be chaotic look like screencapture in below post... it would save a lot of works to link geometry if each edge could be named I think.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24570 Sketcher - Make Invisible Reference Constraints & Construction Geometry
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 8&start=60Re: Sketcher mini-features