Obeying Axes Angle Property ? - Discussion

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Obeying Axes Angle Property ? - Discussion

Post by paullee »

Hi, have further use of the Axes and find a situation see what peoples thinks.

Take only 1 Axes to start with:-
  1. With an Arch Object Axis property set to an Axes, it is 'reproduced' at the Axes Placement, and repeated at each of the Axis it define - Screencapture 1
  2. When Placement - Position of the Axes change, the array of object relocated following the former - Screencapture 2
  3. When Placement - Angle of the Axes change, the array of object relocated following each of the Axis 'start' points, BUT they are not 'rotated' following the Axes' Placement Angle - Screencapture 3
The question is should it better or not follow?

Understand if there is another 1 or 2 Axes, in an Axis System, (usually in Arch perpendicular to 1st one, and the other in vertical direction, floors), then will be another question - follow angle of which Axes (I would think the '1st', a 'master' ?). No doubt about / no change to the original concept the Axes creating intersections for the object to repeat in any rate.

Argument is that if it follow, Axes (or Axis System) may be a convenient tool to move and rotate an object / array of object / a collection of object around.

Other note-
  1. Note that the Angle defined for individual Axis in the Axes would not change the object Angle also - Screencapture 4 left picture
    (a side issue, that angle seem to be in the opposite direction (clockwise) against the other common direction of similar setting (c-clockwise) )
  2. Setting an angle in the original object (in this case a Wall object), rotate the whole array as if / as it still have a Placement Position of 0,0,0 - this can't help to produce the array of object I thought - Screencapture 4 right picture
See how peoples are using the Axes / Axis System and in what way it is more useful.

Thanks for the patience reading through :)

Screenshot from 2017-11-23 19-16-41.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-23 19-16-41.png (194.57 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-23 19-17-03.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-23 19-17-03.png (194.78 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Screenshot from 2017-11-23 19-17-16.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-23 19-17-16.png (203.91 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Screenshot_ 2.png
Screenshot_ 2.png (91.9 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Attachments
Test_ Arch Axes_ Arch Component _2.fcstd
(13.56 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Obeying Axes Angle Property ? - Discussion

Post by yorik »

hmm that's a good question indeed. We could be add a property somewhere that says "use axis orientation" on/off, but I have the impression that it will add even more complexity, seen that it is also easy to rotate the base piece. Also the angle of the axes might be set individually, and i'm not too sure what to do then...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:00 pm hmm that's a good question indeed. We could be add a property somewhere that says "use axis orientation" on/off, but I have the impression that it will add even more complexity, seen that it is also easy to rotate the base piece. Also the angle of the axes might be set individually, and i'm not too sure what to do then...

I think it would be complicated and peoples might be using it for structural aspect - I am exploring it which seem help to 'place' arch objects.

So structural peoples may have other thoughts.

If 'use axis orientation' is provided, then a series of Q' as I mention
- follow the Axis Object's individual Axis' Angle?
- follow the Axis Object 'main' Placement Angle?
- follow the which Axis Object in an Axis System?
what I am thinking is apparently not taking into account of structural aspect...
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 am
yorik wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:00 pm hmm that's a good question indeed. We could be add a property somewhere that says "use axis orientation" on/off, but I have the impression that it will add even more complexity, seen that it is also easy to rotate the base piece. Also the angle of the axes might be set individually, and i'm not too sure what to do then...

I think it would be complicated and peoples might be using it for structural aspect - I am exploring it which seem help to 'place' arch objects.

So structural peoples may have other thoughts.

If 'use axis orientation' is provided, then a series of Q' as I mention
- follow the Axis Object's individual Axis' Angle?
- follow the Axis Object 'main' Placement Angle?
- follow the which Axis Object in an Axis System?
what I am thinking is apparently not taking into account of structural aspect...
Interesting to play with this concept. Although at this point I don't have a particular opinion of the axis system other than the fact that I could be a bit more flexible in the sense that you can just draw a bunch of lines where you need your axis, select all the them, hit axis, and boom all is in an axis setup. (but of course it's not so simple). The good thing is how you can just connect anything to it. it is helpful when yes you think from a structural base, instead of a design base workflow. but this all simply made me realise that again in freecad there are a vareity of wild possibilities hidden under the hood that requires further exploration. Nice deep dive.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

regis wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 am Interesting to play with this concept. Although at this point I don't have a particular opinion of the axis system other than the fact that I could be a bit more flexible in the sense that you can just draw a bunch of lines where you need your axis, select all the them, hit axis, and boom all is in an axis setup
It already sort of works like that.. You can use any object as the Axis property of Arch objects. In that case, the vertices of that objects are the grid points on which the Arch object will spread. Of course this could/should be bettered...
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:35 pm
regis wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 am Interesting to play with this concept. Although at this point I don't have a particular opinion of the axis system other than the fact that I could be a bit more flexible in the sense that you can just draw a bunch of lines where you need your axis, select all the them, hit axis, and boom all is in an axis setup
It already sort of works like that.. You can use any object as the Axis property of Arch objects. In that case, the vertices of that objects are the grid points on which the Arch object will spread. Of course this could/should be bettered...
Amazing, had not yet kept up with these changes, this reminds of me blenders parent-child relationship concept aswell.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:35 pm
Hi, it remind me checking the wiki again and try this. Somehow it seem not working or am i missing something?

Thanks.

Draft a polygon
Screenshot from 2017-12-06 03-03-03.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-06 03-03-03.png (154.79 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Assign the polygon in the Axis Property
Screenshot from 2017-12-06 03-03-12.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-06 03-03-12.png (153.69 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Attachments
Test_ Arch Axes_ Arch Component _2B - Polar Axes_____ ver 2.fcstd
(20.62 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 pm Somehow it seem not working or am i missing something?
U'r not missing anythng. it's meant to work, but not working on my end with a simple line, It seems to be broken or unresponsive for some reason.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:01 am
paullee wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:46 pm Somehow it seem not working or am i missing something?
U'r not missing anythng. it's meant to work, but not working on my end with a simple line, It seems to be broken or unresponsive for some reason.
Seem to be …

Testing to build a rotunda kind of structures with columns align with the tangent / spoke.