Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator macro

Post by bitacovir »

hhassey wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 am DONE!

Please Grab the latest version in Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/Oriond/FreeCAD-Steel_Frame.git
Hi. Thanks for this interesting tool.
I found in FC0.16 and FC 0.17 that your macro runs at once in the Part Workbench. But in Arch Workbench, when you just opened the program, it fails. I ran the macro a second time and only then it worked.
The console gives this report:

Code: Select all

Arch workbench activated
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/Rafael/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Macro/FrameCreator.FCMacro", line 229, in execute
    parte.append(Draw_Steel_Stud(y-2*th1*FEM,x,th1,poste[2]-2*th1*FEM,fal,poste[3])) #dibujar poste
  File "C:/Users/Rafael/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Macro/FrameCreator.FCMacro", line 112, in Draw_Steel_Stud
    L1=Part.makeLine(V1,V2)
<type 'exceptions.NameError'>: global name 'Part' is not defined
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12802 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 91bb7ed0c51ba47f011199af7bc0a3a2964cf5be
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

thschrader wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:47 pm Set "FEM=True" in macro, generate frame, gmesh==> error
I knew meshing that frame was going to be tricky.

Changing the Gmsh parameters for maximum size =40mm it runs fine! But I am not sure the mesh get created correctly, it still seams to me that some parts are not connected, but I am not sure, I ran the FEM analysis wihtout enough knowledge, it was the first in FreeCAD that I ever created. can you give it a try?
Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-09-16.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-07 18-09-16.png (573.75 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

bitacovir wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:52 pm But in Arch Workbench, when you just opened the program, it fails.
FIXED!

Thanks for pointing this out, it has been fixed now.

Please Grab the latest version in Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/Oriond/FreeCAD-Steel_Frame.git

Should we use gitlab for pointing bugs/issues so we dont clogg this forum?
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

thschrader wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:47 pm Set "FEM=True" in macro, generate frame, gmesh==> error
Ok I ran the FEM analysis successfully. The resulting object was a compound with many solids in it, creating mesh problems for gmsh, I exploded the compound and fused all the solids into one, then refined the geometry and the FEM analysis goes smoothly! I will work on the FEM switch so it ends up with ONE solid, I hope it does not become so difficult.
Screenshot from 2018-01-07 19-21-22.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-07 19-21-22.png (719.73 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
bill

Post by bill »

What about headers and jack studs; I would expect this result based on their absence!
The "Top Plate" fails as the result of lack of "Opening-Header"; No?
headersandjacks.png
headersandjacks.png (156.9 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Any plans for this additional support?
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

Bill, you are missing the point. we are not discussing the capability of this particular frame to bear load, we are trying to make software, that creates "any" frame which can then be tested by the FEM workbench under load.

And yes, we have the headers in our plans. (both box and I beam) I don't know what do you call jack studs I assume some sort of uplift retainers for shear,but please let me know.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Humberto,
can you post your file from your FEM-example above?
Delete the results, right-click on Mesh in model-tree ==> clear-mesh
That reduces the file size.
Thomas
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

hhassey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 am Bill, you are missing the point. we are not discussing the capability of this particular frame to bear load, we are trying to make software, that creates "any" frame which can then be tested by the FEM workbench under load.

And yes, we have the headers in our plans. (both box and I beam) I don't know what do you call jack studs I assume some sort of uplift retainers for shear,but please let me know.
I think you could work with two categories. Simple Frame (non-structural wall) and Structural Frame (load-bearing wall).
The Structural Frame could start considering Header Beams for the openings and some double studs.

==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

bitacovir wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:43 pm I think you could work with two categories. Simple Frame (non-structural wall) and Structural Frame (load-bearing wall).
The Structural Frame could start considering Header Beams for the openings and some double studs.
Thanks bitacovir That is exactly what's on my plans, another boolean switch for structural, If turned on it will place those headers on, it will let you choose if yo want the studs of the header in a box configuration or an I beam. but for now, I am working on the FEM side.

So many things to do. But I believe that being steel studs the way most developed nations build, having a good steel stud frame support from FreeCAD could help a lot of more people adopt it for Architectural work. We will get there, just be patient.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

hhassey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:29 pm So many things to do. But I believe that being steel studs the way most developed nations build, having a good steel stud frame support from FreeCAD could help a lot of more people adopt it for Architectural work. We will get there, just be patient.
That is not a bad strategy. Yorik developed a group of tools focus on the WikiHouse workflow. You can do the same. There are a lot of guides for galvanised steel frame technology. You can use those as a base to develop a set of few tools for that purpose. In my experience designing this kind of structures is a process that consumes a lot of time. Just the drawings with the elevations of each wall structure is a very boring task.

(In an ideal case you could ask for financial support for any company that supplies these products. So they can include and promote their products in your macro. Just like sweethome3D does) ;)
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository