Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
yorik
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro

Postby yorik » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm

The strict (GPL) vs. permissive (LGPL, MIT,BSD...) open-source licenses is an old debate. They basically correspond to two different visions of what freedom is ("freedom must be protected" vs. "freedom is freedom no matter what", sort of, I'm resuming a LOT). There are arguments on both sides, but they really are both sides of freedom, at the end they all aim at the same thing.

In any case, FreeCAD has a permissive license, and to avoid any further headache (we had a lot already in the past, opensource licenses can be a hell :) ), we only allow code in FreeCAD with a permissive license.

Personally I'm comfortable with LGPL, I don't care much if part of our code is reused by commercial software, FreeCAD is strong enough to "defeat" attempts to fork it commercially (there have been several in the past), its strength is the community-based development, and hardly a private company would be able to copy that.

That said, you can still decide to license your work under GPL. Only, it cannot be included in the FreeCAD source code. But it can still exist as an addon or macro. The important thing is, FreeCAD cannot depend on strict-licensed code. But strict-licensed code can depend on FreeCAD.
yorik
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro

Postby yorik » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:11 pm

An idea just crossed my mind, that might be good: The inner frame of a wall could work just the same way as reinforcement bars:

- You would create a multilayer wall, with inner board, a layer for the frame, outer board, etc..
- You create a frame object (basically with @hhassey's tool). The result is an object that is attached to the wall
- The resulting object can replace (or not) one of the layers of the wall. I already tweaked the wall tool that you now can make an "empty" layer by giving it a negative thickness
- It is the frame object that knows its host wall, the wall itself is not aware of its frames. That means, when the wall changes, the frame object changes too
- If you remove the frame object, the wall continues as is

I think that would give a pretty elegant workflow, similar to structures + rebars... You would first model your walls, independently of the frame, then, in a later stage, you place the framing wall by wall

What do you think?