BIM Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mikeprice99

Re: BIM Workbench

Post by mikeprice99 »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm @mikeprice99: Haven't we already discussed this?:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48410
Yes. After the post above! :)
I realised after the post in this thread that it's better to discuss potential bugs in their own threads.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

mikeprice99 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm Yes. After the post above!
you are right. My apologies. The 'stickiness' of this topic confused me.
vances

Post by vances »

Fresh install of 0.19_pre on macOS Catalina. Use Ad-on Manager to install BIM. Quit and restart. Run BIM Setup, change units to imperial (sorry) and save.

23:33:37 Running the Python command 'BIM_Setup' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/vances/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/BIM/BimSetup.py", line 217, in Activated
FreeCADGui.Snapper.setGrid()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Draft/draftguitools/gui_snapper.py", line 1618, in setGrid
self.setTrackers()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Draft/draftguitools/gui_snapper.py", line 1626, in setTrackers
v = Draft.get3DView()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Draft/draftutils/gui_utils.py", line 68, in get_3d_view
v = Gui.ActiveDocument.ActiveView

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ActiveView'
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

vances wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:55 pm Fresh install of 0.19_pre on macOS Catalina. Use Ad-on Manager to install BIM. Quit and restart. Run BIM Setup, change units to imperial (sorry) and save.

23:33:37 Running the Python command 'BIM_Setup' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/vances/Library/Preferences/FreeCAD/Mod/BIM/BimSetup.py", line 217, in Activated
FreeCADGui.Snapper.setGrid()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Draft/draftguitools/gui_snapper.py", line 1618, in setGrid
self.setTrackers()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Draft/draftguitools/gui_snapper.py", line 1626, in setTrackers
v = Draft.get3DView()
File "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Draft/draftutils/gui_utils.py", line 68, in get_3d_view

Thanks for your report. Yeap, it's a shame. BIM Setup doesn't work if there's no document opened. Try opening BIM setup with some empty document opened
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

vances wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:55 pm ...

The problem here seems to be that ActiveDocument is None. This means that you have no active document open.

Many things in FreeCAD don't work if you don't have a document open. So, my best advice is to always open an empty document before doing anything else.

In this particular case, BIM can be improved so that the command BIM Setup is disabled if no active document is pressed. Many buttons are disabled if you have no active document, so this should be the same.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

vocx wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:31 pm Many things in FreeCAD don't work if you don't have a document open. So, my best advice is to always open an empty document before doing anything else.
And this is not acceptable! We shouldn't tolerate this issue. It means that the current test coverage is inadequate.
vocx wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:31 pm In this particular case, BIM can be improved so that the command BIM Setup is disabled if no active document is pressed. Many buttons are disabled if you have no active document, so this should be the same.
I disagree. BIM setup should still work as those settings are not related to the active document but are global.
vances

Post by vances »

vanuan wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:00 pm Yeap, it's a shame. BIM Setup doesn't work if there's no document opened. Try opening BIM setup with some empty document opened
Yes, that's it. Thank you.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I do not understand why this topic is (still) pinned. It has become a rather random collection of comments, bug reports etc. I suggest unpinning it.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:16 am I do not understand why this topic is (still) pinned. It has become a rather random collection of comments, bug reports etc. I suggest unpinning it.
I suspect it's because BIM is not a part of FreeCAD yet, but still is kind of an "official" workbench. Maybe it would be better to create a separate BIM subforum?
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

Maybe it would be better to create a separate BIM subforum?
Why not use the IFC subforum, or rename it BIM ?