BIM Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: BIM Workbench

Post by bernd »

about classification. Depends what you have in mind. If you would like to group objects the same way as with floors but not with floors, for example all watter pipe lines or tubes of a building you could use IfcSystem. see http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/I ... system.htm
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, that's the insane thing about quantities in ifc, you can make them lie! It would be cool to have a tool in FreeCAD that analyzes an IFC file and detect lies :twisted: Mind to share your script at some point? That would certainly be a feature that commercial apps don't have!

Also, can you share a simple file with quantities? I have seen several, but you might have one that is pretty much "standard" already...

About classification, I just meant to use those classification systems like masterformat or omniclass. Currently materials have a "Classification" slot (a string) where you can put anything you like, like "masterformat 03 03 06 23", but the cool thing would be to have a kind of browser where you can search by text.

Masterformat is a proprietary format, so probably not doable, but I think omniclass is open and maintained by the same consortium as IFC. I'll have a look is that data is available in a parseable form (xml, etc...) then we can try to build something..
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow, just found this http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/arc ... _Data.html Will play a bit with it...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

I had noticed since time ago... IFC Elements Manager fails on V.017

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'BIM_IfcElements' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Rafael\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\BIM\BimIfcElements.py", line 60, in Activated
    self.ifcroles = ArchComponent.IfcRoles

'module' object has no attribute 'IfcRoles'
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13522 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 3bb5ff4e70c0c526f2d9dd69b1004155b2f527f2
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

yorik wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:34 pm Wow, just found this http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/arc ... _Data.html Will play a bit with it...
I know some of the people who had made the GuBIMClass. They've recently create a web https://gubimclass.org/en/

If there's something you would like to ask tell me and I can contact them
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

joancabeza wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:03 pm I know some of the people who had made the GuBIMClass. They've recently create a web https://gubimclass.org/en/
Great! They even already have it in the same format as the link I posted above!!! https://gubimclass.org/en/descargas/

Excellent! 8-)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bitacovir wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 pm I had noticed since time ago... IFC Elements Manager fails on V.017
Ah indeed... In 0.17 BIM elements cannot take all the possible IFC types so this tool makes no sense... I'll disable it on pre-0.18 versions
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

I'm very excited about the Classification manager tool! I've just downloaded the 0.18.14126 version to test it. Very smart move to use ArchiCAD's way to implement Classification System on FC.

Just a question: There's a possibility to classify not only materials but elements too?

Congratulations for your work!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

joancabeza wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:12 am Just a question: There's a possibility to classify not only materials but elements too?
Yes that's a question I'm thinking to as well. But there is the problem that it wouldn't be very practical if you need to attribute manually a category for every single element of your model. The same goes for "generic" properties that you would want to, for example, add to all objects of a certain type.

We could create additional objects to store these things, but then before long your model tree will become insanely complex. There is also the problem that updating the tree is one of the slowest areas of FreeCAD, we want to be cautious in not adding unnecessary stuff there.

At the moment my "best" idea is to use materials for everything: the material data itself, but also the classification, and additional ifc properties that you would want to apply to all objects that use that material.

Of course that means that for example you will need two copies of a same material, if they have some property that is different (ex. One concrete with standard number 01 03 13 19 and another identical one with standard 01 03 13 20). So what I am implementing now is the ability for materials to inherit: You would have one concrete material, and two other materials that have the concrete as parent, and then just specify the standard number. All other properties would be inherited from the parent material.

But maybe the best of the two worlds would be, even so, to let individual objects override the standard classification. So you would be able to use the above mechanism, but override for single objects if needed. How does that sound?
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

As a first step I think that attribute manually a category for each element could work. As it works when you asign an IFCRole in The IFC Elements Manager.

I would find a something very useful that in the classification manager UI you could switch between elements or materials to classify.

In fact, one of the methods to classify elements in Revit is via Keynotes, and you do it manually.

The thing is that some Classification systems are used to explain the functions or simply to classify more specifically each element. Imaging that you are on stage that you don't have defined the materials (during Design Development) but you want/need to classify.

Where I'm from if you want to work for some of the public adminsitration you have to do it in a BIM way. That means that the deliberable it's an IFC and among other things it has to be classified in a particular way.

How it's now in FC is great because I could make any classification in a xml file and work with it. Image an architectural Studio that it has his own way name the things internally. It would be really simple to do it with FC.

What do you thing?