Arch Window/Door - Identification of 'Inside / Outside' + Finishes & Material + Hinge Offset

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Arch Window/Door - Identification of 'Inside / Outside' + Finishes & Material + Hinge Offset

Post by paullee »

Hi, I long want to report and discuss the captioned.

1) Feature Request - Identification of 'Inside / Outside' + Finishes & Material
  1. Currently, an Arch Window / Door has not much distinction between either sides
  2. The Opening Direction is not distinguished along this concept also - so Arc90 or Arc90Inv has provided no idea whether it is opened 'inward' or 'outward' (the hinge 'position' has to be taken into account to identify)
  3. For a number of case, the facing material and finishes of a door 'inside' and 'outside' are different - e.g. outside wood veneer, inside paint.
  4. For IGU, the inner glass pane and outer glass pane could be different
  5. Sometime, the door frame material is slightly different too.

Suggestion:
    1. There is indication of the window/door to distinguish one side from another
    2. (For a door in the middle of a corridor, yes the concept of 'inside'/'outside' is not applicable, but it works for a lot of cases - inside a room out outside i.e. toward the corridor)
    3. There could be input for Finishes & Materials for Door/Window Face (Inside/Outside), Frame etc.
    I am not sure if different finishes/materials are part of IFC standards or how peoples need it and may deal with it.
    This would also be ignored when drafting in AutoCAD, I would rather open a spreadsheet listing out all door / window and has a few column filling in their 'inward / inside' and 'outward / outside' finishes.
2) Bug - 'Hinge edge' is offset
  1. The exact 'hinge' edge is selected on the underlying sketch - for one opening direction, the door /widow leaf is drawn correctly in 3d
  2. Then, for its 'Inv' direction, as the door leaf has thickness but ArchWindow still use exactly the same edge in pivoting the door swing, the door leaf is superimposed into the door frame - see screencapture

(I have read ArchWindow.py code but far from figuring out exactly every details how it works...)

Screenshot from 2018-03-19 00-28-47.png
Screenshot from 2018-03-19 00-28-47.png (184.14 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Screenshot from 2018-03-19 00-32-17.png
Screenshot from 2018-03-19 00-32-17.png (230.25 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Screenshot from 2018-03-19 00-29-05.png
Screenshot from 2018-03-19 00-29-05.png (228.38 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Arch Window/Door - Identification of 'Inside / Outside' + Finishes & Material + Hinge Offset

Post by yorik »

Hi,
interesting discussion. I cannot offer you an immediate solution, but you are right...

About the different materials, with the Arch multimaterial now you have the possibility to fine-tune your window materials very finely (each component can have its own material, or you can make a multimaterial with "Glass Panel" or "Frame" names, which will be applied to all of that type. But it is true that there is currently nothing to work with "surface" materials. Eivind had started writing some concepts about extending that some time ago...

The opening direction is also something that indeed needs more work. Maybe we should just mirror the whole shape about its axis... I am also not very happy with the opening symbols yet, we need something much more practical and customizable... Plus, I would like to be able to also show things like hinges and handle
paullee
Veteran

Re: Arch Window/Door - Identification of 'Inside / Outside' + Finishes & Material + Hinge Offset

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 pm About the different materials, with the Arch multimaterial now you have the possibility to fine-tune your window materials very finely (each component can have its own material, or you can make a multimaterial with "Glass Panel" or "Frame" names, which will be applied to all of that type...
Thanks, I definitely have read somewhere about this but can't figure out where now.

Can you point me to it so I could try?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It wasn't on the wiki yet...I updated it now -> Arch MultiMaterial
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks for the update!

It's better to be in the wiki than anywhere in a forum thread :)
Danielcaraj

Post by Danielcaraj »

Hi, I have the same issue, after several atempts found a temporary fix.

In orden to have the door opened correctly, you have to place it from the face of the wall witch correspond to the "inside" of the room. But only work if you open the door to the left, if you open it to the right, it Will show the elevación symbol incorrectly.
See image atached.
Hope it Is solved in the future.
Attachments
IMG_20190819_160940_184.jpg
IMG_20190819_160940_184.jpg (323.38 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
IMG-20190819-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20190819-WA0012.jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@Danielcaraj: Thanks for posting and bringing this topic to my attention.

The Inside-Outside distinction also applies to multimaterial wall compositions. And since the direction of the sketch determines how the multimaterial is applied, to the direction of the wall base sketch.
For a wall based on a CCW sketch 'loop' the material at the top of the multimaterial list will be on the outside.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The symbol being placed at the top is definitely wrong, though :) Mind to share your FreeCAD file here so I can have a look and see what's buggy?
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

yorik wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:58 pm The symbol being placed at the top is definitely wrong, though :) Mind to share your FreeCAD file here so I can have a look and see what's buggy?
I reported this a while ago: [Bug?] The opening symbols of doors sometimes appear on the top edge instead of the bottom edge.

And you can see the same issue here as well: Need an Arch Test File

Test files are in those threads.

I suspect it's something about the orientation of the doors and windows, normals, and magic, as mentioned here: [Discussion] Orientation of Windows and Doors
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I think I solved the symbol position in git commit d6fdaefb68
Now on to the one not appearing in TD...