[PR] [0.18-0.21_pre] Arch Stair - More Geometry Control? Profile Generator

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Arch Stair - Control Length of Landing? More Geometry Control? + Bug Report ['pre-Pull Request' ?]

Post by paullee »

Ok now height and offset of individual railing can be tweaked.

I don't know why need height on either sides be different but it looks cool and may help some corner cases :D

And find a 'bug', the 'height' of railing at start is different from at end... forgot the 1st riser height to add (last screen capture)
... and lazy to fix bugs in last post
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-37-39.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-37-39.png (270.68 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-32-30.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-32-30.png (276.74 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-39-37.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-39-37.png (278.72 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-12-50.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-28 08-12-50.png (212.76 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Attachments
ArchStairs.py
(59.31 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
paullee
Veteran

Re: Arch Stair - Control Length of Landing? More Geometry Control? + Bug Report ['pre-Pull Request' ?]

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:42 am Ok now height and offset of individual railing can be tweaked.

I don't know why need height on either sides be different but it looks cool and may help some corner cases :D

And find a 'bug', the 'height' of railing at start is different from at end... forgot the 1st riser height to add (last screen capture)
... and lazy to fix bugs in last post
Height of railing at starting point is now fixed... still lazy to fix other bugs in previous posts :D
Screenshot from 2018-07-29 09-09-51.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-29 09-09-51.png (218.37 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Screenshot from 2018-07-29 09-10-29.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-29 09-10-29.png (258 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Screenshot from 2018-07-29 09-17-21.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-29 09-17-21.png (243.25 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Attachments
ArchStairs.py
(59.4 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Tech_101

Post by Tech_101 »

In answer to your question, the (UK) construction terminology for the 180 degree 'return' indicated would be 'half-turn landing'; similarly 90 degree would be 'quarter-turn landing'; stair risers at an angle from a centre point are described as 'winders' - if in a full circular plan, this would of course be a spiral stair.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Tech_101 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am In answer to your question, the (UK) construction terminology for the 180 degree 'return' indicated would be 'half-turn landing'; similarly 90 degree would be 'quarter-turn landing'; stair risers at an angle from a centre point are described as 'winders' - if in a full circular plan, this would of course be a spiral stair.
Hi, thanks for comments! Regis quoted D.K. Ching for 'Half-turn' or 'Half-return'. There is no 'quarter-turn' in the original Stairs but you can create it with the new 'feature' I experiment in the new ArchStairs.py. If you have problem, please raise it here.

So, I would keep simple half-turn stairs like in original Stairs object in the Flight properties and call it:-
- HalfTurnLeft
- HalfTurnRight

Thanks and please feel free to test the ArchStairs.py and give comments! Need more architectural practitioners to contribute indeed!

The updated ArchStairs.py is attached with some other bug fixed.
(HalfTurnRight stairs used to become HalfTurnLeft on file reload !!!)
Attachments
ArchStairs.py
(59.64 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
paullee
Veteran

Arch Stair - Control Length of Landing? More Geometry Control? + Bug Report ['pre-Pull Request' ?]

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote:
Hi, it take me quite some time reading github help, kunda/chris' etc discussion, wiki etc.

Going through the step and making the 1st PR with Landing Depth Control. I am not sure everything is correct, noting some checkboxes in PR seem not applicable or I don't fully understand.

Anyway, just 1st attempt and hope do better next time...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

paullee wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 pm
yorik wrote:
Hi, it take me quite some time reading github help, kunda/chris' etc discussion, wiki etc.

Going through the step and making the 1st PR with Landing Depth Control. I am not sure everything is correct, noting some checkboxes in PR seem not applicable or I don't fully understand.

Anyway, just 1st attempt and hope do better next time...
Good job on the PR. Couple of points:
In the commit and on Github, add the URL of the most salient point of this thread (since it is enormous) so the devs have a quick context of a discussion that they can look at (and remember posterity will be reading these commits and wondering as well).

Look up some YouTube clips about how to Rebase a commit. Essentially this means how to integrate the changes from your fork back in to the master branch (that may contain changes since you forked master). Since your PR report was warning of being out of sync with master (though I think it's still possible to merge because there were no merge conflicts AFAICT). It's still customary to Rebase as a good habit.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Congrats for the PR! Welcome as the newest FreeCAD developer! ;)
I think there is an error in your PR, I added a comment on github. You should be able to fix it easily by pushing a fix on the same branch (or editing the file directly on github)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 am In the commit and on Github, add the URL of the most salient point of this thread ...
... It's still customary to Rebase as a good habit.
yorik wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm ... fix it easily by pushing a fix on the same branch (or editing the file directly on github)
Hi, thanks all.

1st thing 1st:
  1. I try the first method - fix the typo 'locally', 'push origin [mybranch]'...
  2. ... then it seem wandererfan's tip that the message won't show up again "you recently pushed to your github fork, do you want to make a PR y/n?"
  3. ... https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1592/commits indicates I am trying to merge 2 commits now
  4. ... wondering if it is ok for now?

After going through this weeks' study and 1st attempt, I have few observations / lesson learnt (jog down for myself in fact):-
  1. I started to play with 0.17 git 13522's ArchStairs.py... for more than 1 months (terribly slow)... size increased from about 25kb to 60kb (contain lots of added remarks along with added codes)
  2. Then I find terrible trouble when I try to merge (single out 1st 'feature') after setting up github and cloned from upstream :!:
  3. Need to resort to LibreWriter to 'TrackChange' and half-manually 'merge' (Writer seem not very good at identifying all differences 'correctly')
  4. Then, upon the attempt to merge, the upstream has more updates of cos
  5. Now fully understand why should 'rebase' upon attempt to merge (still haven't done this yet for this time)... though other comment that 'should rebase about every month'...
  6. Always need to test so I can find the typo... but I do not compile... tested this time on the 0.17 git 13522 (extracted AppImage) and find ArchComponent changes in latest commit is needed for the latest rebased ArchStairs.py to works... so other error...
  7. Needs to think again better workflow...
  8. Wondering what i should do about another 15 'versions' of changes that based on 0.17 git13522...

Anyway, seems kunda/chris/wandererfan/etc's tips are very useful and could be added in the Wiki for comprehensiveness :)
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 4&start=10
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Source_ ... nt_Process

I read between both and github help/doc etc. for this week.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

BTW, I did not 'fix' the calculated Tread Depth calculation after introduction of the LandingDepth yet.

I think the 'fix' come around > '10 versions' in my local pc.

The Tread Depth is no longer 'calculated back' as in original code but updated 'directly' when the tread depth is generated in various method in the ArchStairs.py.

Hope the LandingDepth is found useful.
regis

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm Congrats for the PR! Welcome as the newest FreeCAD developer! ;)
I think there is an error in your PR, I added a comment on github. You should be able to fix it easily by pushing a fix on the same branch (or editing the file directly on github)
I feel freecad Arch development will be explosive. :D :D