Curved panel with trapezoidal type wave

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
joancabeza

Curved panel with trapezoidal type wave

Post by joancabeza »

I've tried to create a curved panel with a trapezoidal type wave but it doesn´t follow the curve. I used facebinder to the curved surface and then I made a panel of it. That's ok, but when set the wave height, lenght and type it seems like it follows a tangent direction.
Captura de pantalla 2018-08-10 17.54.15.png
Captura de pantalla 2018-08-10 17.54.15.png (294.71 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
curved panel.FCStd
(98.68 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14220 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1d81fd66b84af9ef8330ba1f1f6d1c5d6443f0c4
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Catalan/Spain (ca_ES)
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Curved panel with trapezoidal type wave

Post by bitacovir »

Yorik knows more about this feature. But I suppose this waves option does not work with curved surfaces, yet.

You should try with Draft PathArray
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_PathArray
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
joancabeza

Post by joancabeza »

Yes. I suposed I would have to use another tool to make the same. I was asking in case it was possible in order to use the same method. It's a good thing that FC allows you to do the same in different ways ;)
regis

Post by regis »

joancabeza wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:12 pm I've tried to create a curved panel with a trapezoidal type wave but it doesn´t follow the curve. I used facebinder to the curved surface and then I made a panel of it. That's ok, but when set the wave height, lenght and type it seems like it follows a tangent direction.

Captura de pantalla 2018-08-10 17.54.15.png

curved panel.FCStd
You are absolutely right, although facebinder can pick up certain faces, not all types of surfaces, the ability to detect and build upon curve surfaces with pannel tool doesn't yet seem to be implemented. Curently the pannel tool works on only 1 face and extrudes along the normal of that face,
if you select many faces, which are facing in their various normals, there isn't yet an option for the pannel to understand all those all at once and generate pannels for all at once. This is a useful for wall cladding tools. Since the panel tool can host alot of these veneer elements.
and then now the question of curved surfaces with normals pointing in any tangential direction. that will require a different kind of pannel tool, or a different kind of python "class" i suppose to create and add to the existing tool the ability to generate a panel based on curved surfaces.
:D :lol: hehe this is just my basic understanding so far. But yorik might have the proper idea.