[Bug?] The opening symbols of doors sometimes appear on the top edge instead of the bottom edge

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

[Bug?] The opening symbols of doors sometimes appear on the top edge instead of the bottom edge

Post by vocx »

Arch_Windows (and Doors) are able to display the side from which they open in the form of opening symbols, one for the plan view and another for the elevation view (Arch_Window#Openings, https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25407). The symbols normally appear in the 3D view. If an Arch_SectionPlane includes the Window or Door, these opening symbols also appear in the ArchView projection (TechDraw_NewArch) in the TechDraw_Module.

In the 3D view, the opening symbol normally appears at the lower part of the Window or Door. However, in certain cases, the opening symbol appears at the top of the element.
FreeCad_Arch_openings_01.png
FreeCad_Arch_openings_01.png (38.29 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
In a window composed of two panes that are supposed to open, one symbol appears at the bottom edge, and the other at the top. This looks ugly to me but I'm not sure if it's the intended behavior. I'd prefer to have all symbols at the bottom edge of the element.
FreeCad_Arch_openings_02.png
FreeCad_Arch_openings_02.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
I cannot reproduce this behavior exactly. In my models I've created many Doors; some show the opening symbol at the bottom, and others at the top; this is seemingly random. I suspect it has to do with the original placement of the Arch_Window object, or maybe it's the orientation of the camera, or the direction of the normal of the object or sketch. I'm not sure, and as I said, I cannot replicate the appearance every single time.

In the attached file the objects Window, Door004, and Door007, show this behavior. The others have the opening symbols in the "regular" position at the bottom edge.

Of course, in the ArchView (TechDraw_NewArch) projection of TechDraw everything looks fine because from the top the symbols all look in the same plane. The issue described here concerns only the 3D view of the Windows and Doors.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14979 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 47536dcd3729d3db106af628d62f2bf449e68c49
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
bugs_various.fcstd
(189.42 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Re: [Bug?] The opening symbols of doors sometimes appear on the top edge instead of the bottom edge

Post by paullee »

Hi, Yorik should have answer.

I had tried TechDraw + ArchView some time ago and reported a few problems then. Since lots of improvement noted in your tests :)

About the problems:-
  1. Seem you draw the sketches yourself for all the doors and windows right? - I mean you are not using Preset.
  2. Seem the way you draw the rectangle is 'inverted' against the Preset way
  3. So ArchDoor use the wrong assumption / edges to guess which is 'up' or 'down'
  4. I stretch the rectangle for the door panel upper edge / lower edge to opposite sides
  5. Then the door panel and the symbols are in 'opposite' direction
BTW, for the door frame, you need the 2 Wires so that the 'inner wire' volume is subtracted from the 'outer wire' volume to form the frame.
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 01-19-04.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 01-19-04.png (192 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 01-19-28.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 01-19-28.png (226.47 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Door Frame Not Correct - Only the 'Outer' wire included in definition
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 01-28-14.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 01-28-14.png (233.45 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Attachments
bugs_various_ rev.fcstd
(166.91 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
vocx
Veteran

Re: [Bug?] The opening symbols of doors sometimes appear on the top edge instead of the bottom edge

Post by vocx »

paullee wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm
  1. Seem you draw the sketches yourself for all the doors and windows right? - I mean you are not using Preset.
Negative. I placed the Windows and Doors using the Arch Window tool with the Simple Door preset (Preset 6); the only thing I changed was the height to 2 m, from the default of 1 m. Some Doors I placed on the Wall, and others I just placed on the floor by themselves (without a Host).

You can also see the Window object embedded in the Wall. It's an Open 2-pane Window (Preset 3); I just changed the width of the frame in the Sketch. The opening symbols are in different positions. One glass pane (right) has the symbol at the bottom, and the other (left) at the top.
  • Seem the way you draw the rectangle is 'inverted' against the Preset way
  • So ArchDoor use the wrong assumption / edges to guess which is 'up' or 'down'
  • I stretch the rectangle for the door panel upper edge / lower edge to opposite sides
  • Then the door panel and the symbols are in 'opposite' direction
As I said, the sketches were created automatically by the Arch Window tool. But definitely the placement of the objects is a bit weird; I don't understand why sometimes they appear in different orientations; sometimes they appear sideways, or downwards. I think the tool sometimes gets confused by the Draft_Snapping options. I normally use snap to grid (Draft_ToggleGrid), but in the case of Doors, I usually use snap to near (Draft_Near), in order for it to pick a Wall surface.

What is the difference if you select one side of the Wall or the other side? Does that affect the normal of the Door? Does that affect the Arch_Window#Openings symbols?
BTW, for the door frame, you need the 2 Wires so that the 'inner wire' volume is subtracted from the 'outer wire' volume to form the frame.
Sure, but this is not a problem in any of the Arch Window objects that I present.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

vocx wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 pm You can also see the Window object embedded in the Wall. It's an Open 2-pane Window (Preset 3); I just changed the width of the frame in the Sketch. The opening symbols are in different positions. One glass pane (right) has the symbol at the bottom, and the other (left) at the top.

As I said, the sketches were created automatically by the Arch Window tool. But definitely the placement of the objects is a bit weird; I don't understand why sometimes they appear in different orientations; sometimes they appear sideways, or downwards. I think the tool sometimes gets confused by the Draft_Snapping options. I normally use snap to grid (Draft_ToggleGrid), but in the case of Doors, I usually use snap to near (Draft_Near), in order for it to pick a Wall surface.

What is the difference if you select one side of the Wall or the other side? Does that affect the normal of the Door? Does that affect the Arch_Window#Openings symbols?
Seem some problem with preset... no idea if Draft Snap is the problem.
vocx wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 pm
paullee wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Negative. I placed the Windows and Doors using the Arch Window tool with the Simple Door preset (Preset 6); the only thing I changed was the height to 2 m, from the default of 1 m. Some Doors I placed on the Wall, and others I just placed on the floor by themselves (without a Host).
For Door003, there are Frame and Panel in the edit mode - this should be Preset (and 2 wires for Panel)

For Door007, there are only 'Default'.... - I do not know if it is from Preset....and there are only 1 wires for Panel...

BTW, when I set Opening to 100 for Door003, there is an error.

Need Yorik to have a look indeed.

Screenshot from 2018-10-21 02-59-08.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 02-59-08.png (224.04 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 02-58-42.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 02-58-42.png (224.34 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 02-59-50.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-21 02-59-50.png (262.75 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Okay, I see what you mean with Door007.
paullee wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:09 pm ...
For Door003, there are Frame and Panel in the edit mode - this should be Preset (and 2 wires for Panel)
For Door003, there are two solid components, OuterFrame and Door; and there are two wires, Wire0 and Wire1. Wire0 and Wire1 define OuterFrame (type Frame), and Wire1 (innermost) defines Door (type Solid panel).

All these wires and objects were created by the Arch Window tool automatically. I just adjusted the height and the position.
For Door007, there are only 'Default'.... - I do not know if it is from Preset....and there are only 1 wires for Panel...
I remember now. I was trying to reproduce the bug, that is, the opening symbol at the top of the element. At some point I deleted the default solid components, OuterFrame and Door. I recreated them but with the names Default and DefaultD. And you are right, I did not add the two wires to Default (previously the OuterFrame).
BTW, when I set Opening to 100 for Door003, there is an error.
I see no such error. The updated file opens well both doors, but in Door007 the opening symbol is still at the top. Please notice that I'm using the 0.18 daily builds, not 0.17.
FreeCad_Arch_openings_03.png
FreeCad_Arch_openings_03.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Attachments
bugs_various.fcstd
(191.89 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

vocx wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 pm
I see no such error. The updated file opens well both doors, but in Door007 the opening symbol is still at the top. Please notice that I'm using the 0.18 daily builds, not 0.17.
You are correct, I am using 0.17... should have tested also on 0.18_pre for consistency.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »