[Discussion] Sketches that support Windows and Doors have a strange orientation

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

[Discussion] Sketches that support Windows and Doors have a strange orientation

Post by vocx »

I create an Arch Wall and then add Arch Windows or Doors in the Walls. However, if I want to move the Windows to another position, it's quite difficult to move the underlying PartDesign_NewSketch. The sketch has a very strange orientation and rotation, so changing these values often doesn't produce a good result.

For example, a Door that is aligned with the X axis has a Sketch with this placement information: Angle 90 degrees, Axis [1,0,0]. It's rotated over the X axis so that it looks "standing up"?
FreeCad_Arch_Door_01_X.png
FreeCad_Arch_Door_01_X.png (57.79 KiB) Viewed 882 times
A door that is aligned with the Y axis has a Sketch with this placement: Angle 120 degrees, Axis [0.5774, -0.5774, -0.5774]. It has a rotation of 120 degrees over a very strange axis. What do those numbers represent, 0.5774? It's the square root of 3, divided by 3.
FreeCad_Arch_Door_02_Y.png
FreeCad_Arch_Door_02_Y.png (59.28 KiB) Viewed 882 times
It seems to me that it's not really practical to move a door out of its position once it's already been placed in a particular Wall with a particular orientation. What if I have a very elaborate Window, with many wires, and I need to move it from one Wall to another one? Is there an easy way of doing this, without recreating the entire Sketch and the properties of the Arch Window?

What I've done in the past is just copy the Door or Window many times, and move the Sketch. They have the same orientation (Angle and Axis), just the Position (X, Y, Z coordinates) changes.
Attachments
wall_and_space.fcstd
(52.2 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
regis

Re: [Discussion] Sketches that support Windows and Doors have a strange orientation

Post by regis »

Hello Vocx
I think this link can help start to clarify some of your questions. It is true that there is quite a lot of information and it isn't as easy to sort them out, but some where along these videos since they are a lengthy process there some aspects that can answer some of your questions.
This is the speed laspe, but the actual unsped up video is after this one. if you want to see how I deal with managing many doors including copying and rotating them. I understand they may not feel quite as intuitive to you to handle many windows at the same time, but once you get the flow of Freecad there are actually quite some hidden and creative other work around you can discover.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]