Do blocks support multiple block sizes?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Moult

Do blocks support multiple block sizes?

Post by Moult »

If I am doing a concrete block wall, these blocks are manufactured in multiple sizes. For instance, with a 10mm joint, I have a 390x190 block, a 290x190 block, a 190x190 block, and a 90x190 block. Currently I only see support for one block size, which, if the block wall is 50% staggered, means that the number of cut blocks is incorrect. Does the block tool support multiple sizes?
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
vocx
Veteran

Re: Do blocks support multiple block sizes?

Post by vocx »

Moult wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 am If I am doing a concrete block wall, these blocks are manufactured in multiple sizes. For instance, with a 10mm joint, I have a 390x190 block, a 290x190 block, a 190x190 block, and a 90x190 block. Currently I only see support for one block size, which, if the block wall is 50% staggered, means that the number of cut blocks is incorrect. Does the block tool support multiple sizes?
The Make Block property of Arch Walls is very recent (April 2018), basically introduced in the development version of 0.18, right after the official release of v0.17. And no, I don't think it can handle complex bricks.
So far this works only for walls based on a single line or on a wire. In case of wires, it can give wrong situations at corners, like blocks not properly cut like in real life. Walls based on faces or on solids cannot display blocks yet. Subtractions are supported, but additions not. This all will be addressed in due time.
The blocks can be made to look like wooden planks if a single block is given the entire length of the wall: Wooden Cladding

However, there's some preliminary work on an Arch Texture Workbench, which may be able to handle more complex textures: Arch Texture Workbench, Texturing Architectural Objects
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.