[SOLVED] Wall position is independent from sketch. How do I make it dependent?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Wall position is independent from sketch. How do I make it dependent?

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am
Moult wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am PR for the "move base" option on all arch elements. If True (you can set true to default in preferences) then if you choose to move that wall / structure / arch component, it will move the base object instead.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1955
It's a pleasure to see recent commits from so many BIM/Arch developers and to learn python programming :D

Do you think it is appropriate to add some reminder/warning to users when Move Base option is selected, when an Object with a Base is moved, other objects dependent on the same Base will move altogether? say...
  1. When user set this in Preference; or
  2. It is the 1st time User set this in an Arch Object
Good idea
Moult

Re: [SOLVED] Wall position is independent from sketch. How do I make it dependent?

Post by Moult »

Warning added if base has multiple parents: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1955
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
paullee
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Wall position is independent from sketch. How do I make it dependent?

Post by paullee »

Thanks !
Bojan_Bekic

Post by Bojan_Bekic »

Thank you for such a quick fix, that's great!

I was wondering about the windows "move with host" issue. I cannot test because I cannot install from daily ppa (I'm on KDE Neon, there's some qt libs issue, so I use AppImage) It gets maybe even more complicated now, but if I got it right, all boils down to this:

window copies the PLACEMENT of his host wall.
-If the base sketch is moved, wall's PLACEMENT = 0. So, the wall moves, but the window copies "0".
-If the window is manually (with the MOVE tool) moved with the wall, it gets it's own PLACEMENT while the wall's PLACEMENT is still 0, so they mismatch.

My solution was to "move with host = false" and then simply select everything I want to move without relying on automation, and it works.

Now, could it be possible to make window actually track the BASE SKETCH PLACEMENT + WALL PLACEMENT of its host wall? Can a window "see" the base sketch of it's host?

Sorry if I'm just wasting everybody's time :)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

To my understanding the PR has not been merged yet as of this moment.

If somebody would like to compile may early test :)