Draft Edit improvements

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Draft Edit improvements

Post by regis »

carlopav wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am
chrisb wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 pm A very common way to delete something is to use the dedicated "Del" key.
Here is a little attempt... It works, and it's really intuitive BUT : :oops: if an object is selected, FreeCAD catch the DEL key pressed and delete it... I have to check how the sketcher handle this... Any hints?
iilyN28bur.gif
Good stuffs Carlopav, I'm liking it's simplicity already.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Small update: with PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3503, we can now edit Part::Sphere, Part::Cone, Part::Cylinder with Draft_Edit!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice!
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

:D
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

carlopav wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:59 am Here is a little attempt... It works, and it's really intuitive BUT : :oops: if an object is selected, FreeCAD catch the DEL key pressed and delete it... I have to check how the sketcher handle this... Any hints?
iilyN28bur.gif
Sorry for being late to the party (as usual...)

Code: Select all

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.1 (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/default)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.5
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
When first creating points, then creating "wire" I can get the "wire" to snap to the points but the "wire" does not stick to the created points!
Please create the wire creation tool in such a way it asks the user for a plane to attach it to, first. I do understand your focus and effort is aimed to/for architectural design, but in my opinion this is just a special case of a general "wire"/polyline. The general case, of course being 3D, not only 2D.

I'd rather suggest to create a poly-line tool which as a default asks for already created points.
For the special case of architectural AND if the user so wish he/she first click on the wished for plane then just clicks roughly where he/she wants the points to be. Alternatively you can make your poly-line tool to suggest to put ALL points on the last used plane, when in workbench architectural. When used in any other workbench it default to no plane at all.
carlopav wrote:
was that just gibberish to you or did anything of it make any sense?
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

I think this should be a different object, which points will not be listed as vectors, but as sublinks. Alternatively the draft wire could have 2 different modes, but that object is already full of different options and I have some doubt on adding another one cause it could increase complexity...
So it should be feasible, but it's not exactly the workflow of draft workbench...
Don't know what other Dev and user of draft think about that... I'd be curious to know.
Pauvres_honteux

May I ask what the rational is behind having different GUI:s / tools for 2D versus 3D ?
In my opinion the user will have less stuff to learn and the programmer will have less GUI to maintain with one GUI.
I mean whatever you have in mind, you can incorporate it in the same GUI as the GUI for 3D. The only difference being what is preselected. Which you can determine via the the active workbench.

My point of view is that the architectural workbench is just a special case of general 3D CAD.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Maybe I didn't understand what you were asking. Draft tools are all 3d. The polyline (draft wire) flatten modified points on editing only if it represents a filled face. Perhaps you should check the draft working plane behaviour.
I was commenting on linking polyline points to pre-existing points. It is really different than having a vector list, from the object point of view.
Pauvres_honteux

Hmm, how about these pictures?
Point_line_plane_in_PartDesign.png
Point_line_plane_in_PartDesign.png (64.55 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
With PartDesign one can create almost anything (work is needed), including points on a plane. And the points stick to the plane when anything changes. From the points one can create polylines which in turn stays connected to the previously created points, i.e. the polyline is what I call parametric and connected.
Point_plane_point_in_Draft.png
Point_plane_point_in_Draft.png (75.4 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
With Draft one can not create a plane with less then resorting to Part. Here created by first defining three points, then creating the plane by connecting it to the three points. Then switching to Draft workbench where it is now possible to set the working plane to the previously created plane. On this Draft work-plane you can now create a point which automatically end up on the working plane. But the point does not stay connected to the working plane.

Did this make it any clearer?

Repeating my previous stand point: one GUI for anything to do with polyline. It will work for every possible work situation. You may dim / lock the options not suitable when a plane is chosen. You may for example sort different work scenarios under different tabs and lock them as you see fit.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Still not sure I get it. (Can you open a new topic? this one is dedicated to Draft_edit).
Anyway you can use Part_Attachment to attach every single Draft Objects to a plane... Just click on the MapMode property of the Wire object... is this?
About the possibility to stick wire vertexes to other objects, I'm still skeptic, waiting for other people thoughts on that.