Structure command to Beam,Column,Footing commands

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Structure command to Beam,Column,Footing commands

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm We had (and still have) this discussion on another thread here, about separating the core "geometry generation" tools from their semantic meaning.

That means, for example, that we have one tool (the current structure tool for ex), that extrudes a profile. The result of this can be anything you want (a wall, a column,etc).

A power user would use only that tool, and, after creating the object, would decide what it is and set its type. This is almost what is happening now in Arch.

However, people coming from other BIM apps, and, more generally speaking, because of the big "weight" of all the BIM litterature out there, will feel lost in there, and won't recognize this. They will still want a column tool, a beam tool, a wall tool, etc.

For me the big difference between the Arch WB and the BIM WB is there. The Arch WB is what you use when you know your way. We should make it minimal and efficient, even if it continues hard to learn. The BIM WB is something I see as a "user-friendly" layer on top of Arch. It should make people feel in a "traditional" BIM environment, where they find all their favorite tools like wall, beam, column, etc. These tools would be nothing more than the corresponding Arch geometry generator, but with a little bit of "sauce", or presets, on top of it. @Fathi, mind to share your changes? ;)
+1 to any written word of this post !
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

FATHI RAMMAH wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 pm
yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm @Fathi, mind to share your changes? ;)
hi yorik
i would like to share ,but it isn't finished yet, i really don't know about the code quality, so can i send you a file to see the changes and give me your notes
Just make it public here. An even better way would be even use github to make it public.
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

bernd wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am
FATHI RAMMAH wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 pm
yorik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm @Fathi, mind to share your changes? ;)
hi yorik
i would like to share ,but it isn't finished yet, i really don't know about the code quality, so can i send you a file to see the changes and give me your notes
Just make it public here. An even better way would be even use github to make it public.
all right some modification and i'll share it,then we can discus what is better what is not
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

FATHI RAMMAH wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 am all right some modification and i'll share it,then we can discus what is better what is not
Thanks for contribution! :)
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

paullee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 pm
FATHI RAMMAH wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 am all right some modification and i'll share it,then we can discus what is better what is not
Thanks for contribution! :)
you are wellcome paullee :D
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

hello guys
here is the files,the attachment is 7z file contain 3 files (icons- arch-initgui) extract to get the files ,don't forget to take a copy of your old files
i separated the structural system command too
you can create any object from the scratch or based on another objects

test it and give your notes

thank you
Attachments
Structure.7z
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by FATHI RAMMAH on Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FATHI RAMMAH

Post by FATHI RAMMAH »

chakkree wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 am+1
hello chakree
is there away to add (both) to (cover along : left and right sight ) in longitudinal reinforcement dialog also if you can add continue check button i think that would be fantastic.....thank you