done(Improvement) Turn the Arch SectionPlane into a camera view, that is, with the ability of clipping the field of view

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
vocx

done(Improvement) Turn the Arch SectionPlane into a camera view, that is, with the ability of clipping the field of view

Postby vocx » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 pm

An Arch SectionPlane is infinite, but its appearance is controlled by its Display Height and Display Length properties. Some users think this is a viewport, so the plane should only see what is "inside" the area indicated by the plane and should clip (don't show) everything outside. This is especially desired when projecting the plane's contents in TechDraw with TechDraw NewArch.

This is the behavior of a camera view, such as that found in Blender.
FreeCAD_ARCH_clipping_Arch_SectionPlane.png
FreeCAD_ARCH_clipping_Arch_SectionPlane.png (64.71 KiB) Viewed 492 times
------

This effect is possible by selecting an object with TechDraw NewView, and then with TechDraw Clip. However, the Arch SectionPlane, and then the TechDraw NewArch, don't allow for clipping.

See this thread for the user requesting a clipping Arch SectionPlane: ARCH Section and Techdraw ArchView not clipping.

Allowing the Arch SectionPlane to behave like a camera would also be helpful for this: [Improvement] Perspective view in Arch SectionPlane.

------

Finally, the "Cut Distance" view property of a Section currently appears in the Property View but it seems it doesn't do anything. It's confusing to even show this property, so it should be removed.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ne.py#L576
Last edited by vocx on Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Site Admin

Re: (Improvement) Turn the Arch SectionPlane into a camera view, that is, with the ability of clipping the field of view

Postby yorik » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Yes, that's a functionality I want to implement too, add a property to turn objects clipping on/off. If off, it behaves like it does now. If on, it would clip the results to the visible limits of the section plane.

Basically when creating a 2d view (be it for techdraw display or for draft shape2dview), ArchCommands.getCutVolume() is called to return a solid to be subtracted before projecting (for ex. in sections). It is basically just a matter of adding a parameter and extending that function so it adds more volume to be subtracted (around the section plane).

I'll try to work on that tomorrow.. Actually explaining it like that makes it looks simple :D
vocx

Re: (Improvement) Turn the Arch SectionPlane into a camera view, that is, with the ability of clipping the field of view

Postby vocx » Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 pm

It seems this function has now made it to 0.19.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bitacovir

Re: done(Improvement) Turn the Arch SectionPlane into a camera view, that is, with the ability of clipping the field of

Postby bitacovir » Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm

::bitacovir::
===================================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
My old Blog
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Site Admin

Re: done(Improvement) Turn the Arch SectionPlane into a camera view, that is, with the ability of clipping the field of

Postby yorik » Tue May 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Yes, it's in. As far as I've tested it works quite nicely already.
Now on to make BuildingParts have their own built-in implicit section plane...