New Freecad / experienced Revit user questions and workflows on starting out

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dimitar

Re: New Freecad / experienced Revit user questions and workflows on starting out

Post by dimitar »

I tried to do something today that I thought would be a quick test. Sort of a curtain wall. I've been having problems with the angled contraints(https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 35#p333635), but otherwise, seems to work pretty well.

I've divided the angle f the arc and used the polar array for arraying a part around the facade.
vlc_eYGP8DDiwH.png
vlc_eYGP8DDiwH.png (374.9 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
My original intention was to do a massing with area studies in Freecad and continue with the facade in Blender but I wanted to see what I can achieve within freecad. Seem like anything along a an extruded line or an extruded arc could work pretty well with the current toolset.
Attachments
vlc_Kifbm8cCH5.png
vlc_Kifbm8cCH5.png (557.51 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
FreeCAD_pT9ri0rjbd.png
FreeCAD_pT9ri0rjbd.png (325.16 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
paullee
Veteran

Re: New Freecad / experienced Revit user questions and workflows on starting out

Post by paullee »

Interesting study!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Cool!

The thing I'm realizing more and more with curtain walls, is that the concepts actually covers a wide range of "grid-based" objects. Basically, you have a grid-like geometry, and you place objects on it (at its nodes, on its edges, or filling its faces).

That's basically what I started with the arch grid object. But it should be extended to get more generation methods and become more flexible.

Maybe we should actually think of the problem as two separate objects... One to define the grid-like geometry, and one to place/orient objects on the nodes/edges/faces...
paullee
Veteran

Re: Newbie Freecad / experienced Revit user questions about starting out

Post by paullee »

dimitar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:46 pm
A PR to improve Wall based on Sketch is made, hope it is good to merge - just notedin your another tutorial 'FreeCAD intro 002' that you use quite often Sketch to build wall.

Mod Edit: Added PR URL: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2614
jmplonka

Post by jmplonka »

yorik wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm ....Maybe we could talk its author into implement export too? ;)
jmplonka wrote: @jmplonka ping
you're right, Having SAT export capability would be realy cool. But is it really necessary? Aren't there other file formats that'll do the same job like STEP?
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

dimitar wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:57 am

phpBB [video]

Very nice workflow, could you complete your project? I am interested in learn more. Subscriber here.
Last edited by jtm2020hyo on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would like to see more of how it is done. At 4:45 parametricity seems lost for a while. The Chamfer shows an error.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 pm I would like to see more of how it is done. At 4:45 parametricity seems lost for a while. The Chamfer shows an error.
I think it may have something to do with the order of the elements. For example, if the parameters adjusted the shape so much that the number of edges is different than from the initial sketch, it started to fall apart.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

It's been a while since I've worked with Freecad, so I thought I can finally post the most complex thing I've done with Freecad yet - an axon section, for a competition a few years back. Freecad was perfect since the building's facade is arc-based, so one sketch with an arc drives the geometry. The diamond facade was done in Blender, then Rhino and imported into Freecad. The upper facade is a radial array. Out of the three tools - Freecad, Revit, and Rhino, the PDF output from Freecad was the best. It was, however, extremely slow. It took about 15 minutes to generate the view techdraw in order to export it. This was done in 0.18 official. I've tried opening the file in more recent versions, but it seems much has changed that I am getting some errors to generate the view in tech draw.
msedge_vEuN695kQg.png
msedge_vEuN695kQg.png (163.18 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
My colleagues definitely thought I was a bit nuts, but no other software we use regularly handles arcs so well. Rhino breaks them down completely into curves, so the only way to do parametric sweeps would be to do in grasshopper, which is readable for the creator, but not comprehensible for anyone else, usually.

For the section, I was using pretty much parts for everything.

---

It's been a while, and that I've forgotten most of what I learned, and I am starting a bit afresh. This time I am looking into using Freecad as my base BIM platform, or trying until it hurts. So far I am looking into a residential development in London, where I am laying out apartments. The idea is to have a few different types of apartments, in order to generate the buildings.
Untitled 14 1.jpg
Untitled 14 1.jpg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dimitar wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:39 pm My colleagues definitely thought I was a bit nuts, but no other software we use regularly handles arcs so well. Rhino breaks them down completely into curves, so the only way to do parametric sweeps would be to do in grasshopper, which is readable for the creator, but not comprehensible for anyone else, usually.

For the section, I was using pretty much parts for everything.

---

It's been a while, and that I've forgotten most of what I learned, and I am starting a bit afresh. This time I am looking into using Freecad as my base BIM platform, or trying until it hurts. So far I am looking into a residential development in London, where I am laying out apartments. The idea is to have a few different types of apartments, in order to generate the buildings.
Gorgous! Hard to believe FC beats others by Arc? :lol:

Hope you can share your latest development / studies here in near future. I experiment through using FC by building Villa Savoye, half-way through the Carpenter Center of Visual Art etc.

Maybe someone attempt Ronchamp in FC? :D

Any one thing missing in FC and a usable library of furnitures, equipments etc. Hope everyone can contribute a bit.