Flipped dimensions in Arch drawing

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Flipped dimensions in Arch drawing

Post by yorik »

The flipped dimension issue is more complex than I thought, because once the dimension has been created, even if you give it a normal direction, there is no way to know which side of the line is "the good side" anymore... I wonder if we shouldn't introduce an "Up Vector" property...
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi Yorik,

Good to hear you are investigating. Too bad to hear it is more complex than expected. Seems like indeed you loose some information about the orientation in the creation of the dimension. Looks like the inherent problem is that a line is 1 dimensional, but when you include the label, suddenly it needs a plane of orientation again. So a dimension line is 2 dinensional.

Meanwhile I am able to cure most of the orietation problems manually. But now I run into the issue that the techdraw looks quite different from my shape2D+dimensions view. In the attached example screenshots, this is clearly visible in the 3 dimension lines on the left. In the shape2Dview the arrows are outward pointing, while in the techdraw, for some mysterious reason they are inward pointing. (as if there was too little room for the text otherwise..)
Do you have any pointers on how to solve this?
Screenshot (55).png
Screenshot (55).png (400.8 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Screenshot (54).png
Screenshot (54).png (455.96 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Kind regards,

Bert
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, the Arch view that you place in Techdraw has its own text size property, which can differ from the text size that appears in the 3D view (this is on purpose so you can use the same dimensions in several views at different scales). So normally you would just need to adjust that property.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi Yorik,

I wasn't refering to the text size. But it is the discrepancy between the arrow orrientation of the techdraw vs the archview.
Some arrows are orriented differently, and I have no idea how to control that in the techdraw view.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am Hi Yorik,

I wasn't refering to the text size. But it is the discrepancy between the arrow orrientation of the techdraw vs the archview.
Some arrows are orriented differently, and I have no idea how to control that in the techdraw view.
Just for reference, I reported this issue before: [Bug?] Horizontal dimensions in an Arch SectionPlane appear flipped when displayed in a TechDraw page
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Thanks Vocx,

So it was already a known issue. Hopefully not too hard to remedy.

Regards,

Bert
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi all,

Just checking. Has there been any progress tracking down this bug?

Regards,

Bert
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:24 am ...
Just checking. Has there been any progress tracking down this bug?
When was the last time you tried? Does it still happen with the latest version 0.19.18385? For one month Arch's developer has been on holidays having a bunch of Belgian beers. So basically no progress has been done, but the beer was good.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi Vocx,

I'm still on 0.18. How stable is the 0.19 branch atm? This weekend I was looking for any indication in the developer forum. There are some other goodies in there that I would like to use as well. But if this is fixed in 0.19 I think it is time to make the jump.

Was Jorik in Belgium? Too bad I missed him. I live in the Netherlands, about 40m from the border.
ButI assume he will stay for an other couple of months if he wants to taste a decent fraction of the available beers! (Or come back for them)

Regards,

Bert
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Opening the file attached to this post in the version specified below shows that the problem still exists. This 0.19 version seems stable enough but does have some annoying bugs. To avoid these and to 'smooth out' my learning curve I am switching back to 0.19.17651 (which is again available for download).

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18408 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6663d625a97f350c421a26a605abe6b59676b7fd
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)