Can I move vertices, edges, or faces similar to polygonal modeling?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Moult

Can I move vertices, edges, or faces similar to polygonal modeling?

Post by Moult »

In polygonal modeling tools, such as Blender, I can select a face of a cube, and move it in any direction. Similarly, I can select any edge or vertex and do the same. As I move it, I get real-time visual feedback of exactly what is happening to my shape.

In FreeCAD, if I draw a rectangle and extrude it using the "trim / extend tool", I get a visual feedback of the extrusion. Once that extrusion is done, I can change the "Dir.Z" data to change its extrusion length, but I am not aware of any "visual" way to change the extrusion length. Is there functionality similar to what I can do in polygonal modeling tools?
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Can I move vertices, edges, or faces similar to polygonal modeling?

Post by chrisb »

Moult wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:26 am Is there functionality similar
It is not possible when editing the properties directly, but if the tool provides an edit dialog, which usually is invoked by double clicking, then you often have a checkbox "Update view" which can be enabled.
Examples can be seen in Pad and Pocket operation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Moult wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:26 am ...
In FreeCAD, if I draw a rectangle and extrude it using the "trim / extend tool", I get a visual feedback of the extrusion. ...
As far as I can tell from Draft's code, these are called "trackers". It's a type of "preview" that is drawn using pivy.coin in the scene itself. But it's not native to FreeCAD; each tool has to implement its own tracker in the way that fits them.
Is there functionality similar to what I can do in polygonal modeling tools?
This is what you are talking about: Freeform surface manipulation through interactive movement of nodes

Microelly has developed a ton of nifty features over the years; some of them are just prototypes while others become full features. The original threads are from 2017, but not much progress was made since. Now he's already looking into a node editor, which would also allow controlling such surfaces instead of picking on individual edges and faces.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:23 am
I have the same pending issue for many months, in this point, I need to request help.

... I did not find a method to edit Vertex/Edges/Faces/Mesh/Solids Objects directly after use Draft WB Downgrade, I mean something like Blender.

... maybe is there any tool to convert Objects to others like Edges Objects to Draft WB Lines? this to create editable objects.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:14 am tool to convert Objects to others like Edges Objects to Draft WB Lines?
Draft_Upgrade
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Edges can be converted to Wire with Upgrade but their XYZ vertex coordinates still can not be edited like Draft WB edit their Line Objects when I use double click, or maybe I did anything wrong?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

As the wiki advises: it can be useful to use the command multiple times.
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:55 am Draft_Upgrade

I tried, I just can use Transform or Placement, this move the entire Object, maybe I could rotate but If I wish to increase Lenght this is not useful

maybe converting this Edge/Wire Object to Draft-WB-Line/Wire-Object I could edit, but there is no way.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

you could try to use the Tweak tool of the Design456_Workbench.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

carlopav wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:26 pm
I am very impressed that SketchUp is being integrated in FreeCAD, sadly this WB just can edit Draft WB Objects. When I downgrade any object is already not possible edit anything

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: Spanish/Peru (es_PE)