[Discussion] Splitting Draft tools into their own modules

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: [Discussion] Splitting Draft tools into their own modules

Post by vocx »

Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:17 am ...
How this is supposed to make life simpler for anyone is beyond my understanding.
That's because you aren't very smart.

What do you call an "object"? The scripted object itself is contained in draftobjects; but there is more to it, there is a make function, there is a viewprovider, there is a Gui Command, there is a task panel. These are all independent components. This is why you need centralized modules, "Draft", to import the basic resources that you need, and "DraftTools" to import the GUI resources.

This is how everything in Linux works, in case you didn't notice. The Unix philosophy from the beginning has been to divide things into smaller components so that each is specialized to perform a small task; when put together then you get a big something. FreeCAD itself follows this model, with non-GUI and GUI parts, and separate files for viewproviders and task panels (look at the code of Part or FEM); why do you think each workbench is separate? Because it's a modular structure that is very flexible for other programmers. You really need to learn more about code modularity.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

vocx wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 pm That's because you aren't very smart.
Ad hominem is a red flag. Please de-escalate. Thank you.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

vocx wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 pm What do you call an "object"?
the sort of things I put into a directory called "draftobjects".

Do you have administrator access to code acceptance into the FreeCAD main repository ? Alternatively, who in bloody hell did accept your "contributions" to this ridiculous splitting in source code ? What is the general code review process to have code accepted into FreeCAD ?

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:40 pm ping
wmayer wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:12 pm ping
yorik wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:03 am ping
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:18 pm the sort of things I put into a directory called "draftobjects".
Then there you have it. If you only need the object then you can just import from this directory. What's so difficult about it?

What is the process for getting code into the repository? Dude, are you blind? The process is exactly what you see. You make a pull request, and if it's good enough, it's accepted. Yorik, Werner, everybody has accepted my code.

Why exactly are you so salty about this? You are clearly out of your league when it comes to this code. I suggest you try learning the code before critiquing it (I even made a diagram above). This organization is fairly similar to the "core" code of FreeCAD, meaning the Part Workbench; there you can see the division into objects (Part/App/), and viewproviders, taskpanels, and commands (Part/Gui/).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

vocx wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm You are clearly out of your league when it comes to this code.
Did you hear about the recent Nobel Physics Prize ? Did you check the contributors ? Did you see some of my screen-shots ? You're right, we're not punching in the same league.

Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am
vocx wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:57 pm You aren't thinking long term.
in other circumstances I would have stopped reading here, but I'll make an exception:
I knew right-away that it was hopeless ....
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 pm You're right, we're not punching in the same league.
Did you win the Nobel Prize? Then how come you don't understand this very simple code? Because you aren't smart enough.

Do you understand the Linux kernel? Are you going to ask Linus to dumb it down for you? No. You do what everybody else does; you sit in your chair, you read the source, and you figure it out. That's free software.

Stay in your lane; if you stay at what you are good at, then you'll be successful.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

vocx wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:48 pm
Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:17 am ...
How this is supposed to make life simpler for anyone is beyond my understanding.
That's because you aren't very smart.

What do you call an "object"? The scripted object itself is contained in draftobjects; but there is more to it, there is a make function, there is a viewprovider, there is a Gui Command, there is a task panel. These are all independent components. This is why you need centralized modules, "Draft", to import the basic resources that you need, and "DraftTools" to import the GUI resources.

This is how everything in Linux works, in case you didn't notice. The Unix philosophy from the beginning has been to divide things into smaller components so that each is specialized to perform a small task; when put together then you get a big something. FreeCAD itself follows this model, with non-GUI and GUI parts, and separate files for viewproviders and task panels (look at the code of Part or FEM); why do you think each workbench is separate? Because it's a modular structure that is very flexible for other programmers. You really need to learn more about code modularity.
After some deliberation, I am banning you for two weeks for this post. You have previously been warned and temporarily banned for unacceptable behavior. Frankly, I'm irritated that I even have to explain to you that you shouldn't do this. Review the code of conduct if you need a reminder on acceptable behavior.

Although I appreciate your technical contributions here so far, you've repeatedly shown you don't think it's worth your time to play nice, and no matter how prolific you are, that kind of attitude doesn't work in a community because you will drive people away, whether by directly being rude to them, or people seeing the kind of behavior you get away with and not wanting to expose themselves to it in the future.

If you acted this way in a job, you would probably not expect to keep it. In a community of volunteers, it's even more egregious. If you continue to show yourself incapable of self-moderation, the only recourse we will have left is a permanent ban, which would be a shame, as you're clearly technically capable of contributing to the project, and very motivated to do so.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:58 pm
vocx wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:48 pm You are clearly out of your league when it comes to this code.
Did you hear about the recent Nobel Physics Prize ? Did you check the contributors ? Did you see some of my screen-shots ? You're right, we're not punching in the same league.

Zolko wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am
vocx wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:57 pm You aren't thinking long term.
in other circumstances I would have stopped reading here, but I'll make an exception:
I knew right-away that it was hopeless ....
I understand wanting to retort when someone is talking smack, but please consider being the bigger man instead of fanning the flames; if your "verbal opponent" is making themselves look bad, why stop them? We should be respectful, considerate, and forgiving, by default, and if someone else isn't willing to do the same, that's what the report and block functionalities are for. I have likewise seen a handful of posts by you that were somewhat borderline, and I had considered "officially" warning you for this exchange, but I hope this will be enough.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.