Arch Structure with Base and Tool

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Arch Structure with Base and Tool

Post by carlopav »

Thanks for taking the time to verify this! :) (I looked at your code and it seems really clear to me, well done!)
alafr wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am However, if the Draft Move command is used to move the Part, the part's placement and the structures' placements are modified, so the total apparent movement is incorrectly doubled. A similar problem happens when I tried moving Structures inside an Arch Building Part. -> it's probably a bug in the Draft Move command?
I think this is related to "MoveWithHost" and "MoveBase" Properties. Draft move tryies to move related object... but it's something that to me we shoud get rid of at some point (but this is just my opinion).
If I drag existing Structures inside a Part, i get this already reported error
I think we have to check again after @realthunder patch on visualization related to App::Links get merged...
A Structure can be made from the shape of an App:Part (the Part is the child of the Structure), i didn't find any issue in this case.
Fantastic!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

alafr wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:01 pm Here is a screencast showing the new options StartOffset and EndOffset and the new command Multiple Structures:
Hi, testing and realise 2 things

1. Your features have not been merged ? :)

2. I just test Arch Frame and seem there are much common features there, haven't figured out exactly the usecases ...
Screenshot from 2020-04-29 03-51-06.png
Screenshot from 2020-04-29 03-51-06.png (196 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Screenshot from 2020-04-29 03-51-14.png
Screenshot from 2020-04-29 03-51-14.png (206.93 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Attachments
Modules_01.FCStd
(37.84 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
alafr

Post by alafr »

paullee wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:07 pm 1. Your features have not been merged ?
Not yet, there is still a bug with Structure Nodes that i have to fix...

paullee wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:07 pm 2. I just test Arch Frame and seem there are much common features there, haven't figured out exactly the usecases ...
I didn't know about Arch Frame. There are indeed a lot of similarities, and except the presences of nodes in the Structures, they appear to share the same usecases.
The property names are completely different (Frame Base = Structure Tool, Frame Profile = Structure Base...), i think this inconsistency is an issue in the Arch Workbench and it will be difficult to solve it without breaking existing objects.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

alafr wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 pm I didn't know about Arch Frame. There are indeed a lot of similarities, and except the presences of nodes in the Structures, they appear to share the same usecases.
The property names are completely different (Frame Base = Structure Tool, Frame Profile = Structure Base...), i think this inconsistency is an issue in the Arch Workbench and it will be difficult to solve it without breaking existing objects.
Thanks, trying to see if ArchStructure can do something like Frame, before that, hope your development will be ready and merged soon :D

@Yorik's comment on the difference between ArchStructure vs ArchFrame below -
[ Development Discussion ] - Arch Structure vs Arch Frame
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

alafr wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 pm The property names are completely different (Frame Base = Structure Tool, Frame Profile = Structure Base...), i think this inconsistency is an issue in the Arch Workbench and it will be difficult to solve it without breaking existing objects.
I may observe that those inconsistencies can and should be solved, it's not so complicated to change a property name and provide some backward compatibility code (onDocumentRestored object method can be successfully used to migrate old properties to new ones). Of course this is a delicate topic, and should be planned well...
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

alafr wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 pm Not yet, there is still a bug with Structure Nodes that i have to fix...
Hi alafr, any updates? :)