New Feature: Notch Connector

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Kunda1

Re: New Feature: Notch Connector

Postby Kunda1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:37 pm

yorik wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:27 pm
I think at some point it could indeed go into Part. There are a few other Python tools in Part too. The only thing I guess is that it needs to be very well compacted into its own, independent, as small as possible set of files...
Why put it in Part when it could actually serve the purpose of a wood joinery or a wood carpentry tool ? And therefore spur development in that direction...
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
vocx

Postby vocx » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:58 pm

I just remembered. One of the external workbenches where this could fit is the LCInterlocking workbench.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:08 pm

christi wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:46 pm
The Wood-Frame workbench seems to be in an early stage of development. You cannot even install it via the addon manager.

And yeah, the crosspiece tool in the LC interlocking workbench is doing nearly the same than my tool is doing, it has even more features. But I think it is not a good design practice to include the width of a cutting tool into the design. This is why I do not really like the LC interlocking workbench.
The dev/author isn't so keen on doing that, vocx
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
fc_tofu

Postby fc_tofu » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:30 pm

carlopav wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:16 pm
fc_tofu wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:31 pm
I am not familiar with boolean tools, but there are some under PartWB.
Part is a peculiar wb, It can probably be considered the core of FreeCAD. It is used all around other FreeCAD wbs to generate object shapes. It's really stable due to wmayer conservative policy. I suggest thinking about other workbenches where to insert this tool ;)
Yes, I also changed my mind.

Notch connector is not a standard boolean tool, it is designed for special craft. In PartWB, it would hardly be noticed/found.
And I also think it's not wise to expand PartWB. One of newbie's big headache is to understand relationship between the half-parametric PartWB and full-parametric PartDesignWB.I hope there is a possible future, when PartDesignWB can implement all PartWB features, PartWB could be hiden from FreeCAD UI thoroughly. Then, this headache is cured. Just kidding. :)
petit_chat_noir

Postby petit_chat_noir » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Hello,
you can put it on Wood-Frame workbench, make a pull request i'll insert your toool on it.
I think we need to centralize ideas even if they are not necessarily successful (like mine are not) to move forward.
with common ideas we can hope that someone smarter than us will make them happen :)
christi

Postby christi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pm

I am still unsure which is the best workbench for the NotchConnector. So I leave it where it is for now.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm

christi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pm
I am still unsure which is the best workbench for the NotchConnector. So I leave it where it is for now.
Why not put it in Wood-Frame ?
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:17 pm

christi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 pm
Perfect! Better to have it somewhere indeed.