Create walls from Sketch?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
_cyclops_

Create walls from Sketch?

Post by _cyclops_ »

Hi,

I'm quite new to FreeCAD. I've been using it on an off for small things. Every time i learn more and every time i'm more impressed by this tool! Every update is great!

I now want to use FreeCAD to draw some details of the house we live in. I'm using the stable version of the software with the BIM workbench.

I've created a sketch, and would like to create walls from all the lines drawn. However, it only partially creates walls. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if i'm doing something wrong.
The reason i'd like to use the Sketch is that i like drawing in that. It's easy to create good constraints. The line tools in the Arch workbench are a bit more difficult IMHO (i might not be getting them right though!)

Attacheds are a picture of the Sketch, and also of how it looks in the arch workbench, and then also a pic of what happens when i try to create walls.

I'm here to learn, so feel free to tell me that i'm not doing this right!
Attachments
Sketch2.PNG
Sketch2.PNG (167.28 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Sketch1.PNG
Sketch1.PNG (183.86 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
3dwalls.PNG
3dwalls.PNG (167.98 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
_cyclops_

Re: Create walls from Sketch?

Post by _cyclops_ »

Ok, so i couldn't wait and figured out how the snap works so i've drawn draft lines using the snap tool. I've then selected a few lines and created walls.
The walls are not all the same thickness, so i've selected those groups. I've then also joined them together where possible.

Now, because i used snap, there's not always the correct measurements. What's the best way of updating this. Changing the line coordinates? This is why i like the sketches more, as you can go back to them and change them. I think you can do the same with the lines, but it's less practical - maybe i'm missing something?
How will this all impact the existing walls? I've used alignments on the walls to make them align correctly. not sure if this is the best thing to do?

What if i then make a modification. One thing that i need to do is create a bay window at the front of the house. How do i do this if i already created a wall?
Attachments
House3.FCStd
(81.75 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

_cyclops_ wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:39 pm I've created a sketch, and would like to create walls from all the lines drawn. However, it only partially creates walls. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if i'm doing something wrong.
The reason i'd like to use the Sketch is that i like drawing in that. It's easy to create good constraints. The line tools in the Arch workbench are a bit more difficult IMHO (i might not be getting them right though!)

Attacheds are a picture of the Sketch, and also of how it looks in the arch workbench, and then also a pic of what happens when i try to create walls.

I'm here to learn, so feel free to tell me that i'm not doing this right!
I use sketch also and trying to develop some tools to assist.

Before I could return to my pc to see your file, I guess you have 3 lines connected at 1 point in your sketch. Just do not do that. Will explain more when I have a gap.

Btw, if you use 0.19_pre, there should be a few bug fix and new features relevant.

Window issues later.

BTW, I use mainly Sketch to build the Villa Savoye model, in User Showcase forum, maybe not good for new user. And you can search Regis Youtube for more tutorial in the meantime.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

OK, you upload the model with Draft Line as base of Wall.

Maybe you upload you model with Sketch so peoples here can have a look.

As for windows, maybe you make a hand sketch of its appearance. It is not typical Arch Window can do right?
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

Thanks for helping!

Yes, i moved to the draft lines and started working with that. I didn't save the sketch, so i can't upload it.

I've currently setup rough sizes, but will have to resize some of the items. Because the walls are already joined, can i still just change the underlying line and will that than work? Is that the right way to do it?

I will also give 19_pre a try!

As for the bay windows, i've attached a photo. I guess that explains it :)
Attachments
BayWindow.jpg
BayWindow.jpg (223.41 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

Just tried 19._pre and did a sketch. Not exactly the same as i had, but close enough and this works.

i'd really appreciate it if somebody could still answer my previous question around the walls and editing them. I've seen that you can just change the sketch when you use that as the basis of the wall. If that's the way to go, then i'm really happy!
_cyclops_

Post by _cyclops_ »

_cyclops_ wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 pm Just tried 19._pre and did a sketch. Not exactly the same as i had, but close enough and this works.

i'd really appreciate it if somebody could still answer my previous question around the walls and editing them. I've seen that you can just change the sketch when you use that as the basis of the wall. If that's the way to go, then i'm really happy!
I've answered my own question. If you change the sketch later on, then the walls made from that sketch are updated accordingly!
steelman

Post by steelman »

Apparently I've got the same problem, which is strange because, I've created at least one wall from a sketch before without any issues. What's noteworthy is that: with Align set to Left or Right Offset can't be positive. If set above zero an error occurs:

Code: Select all

11:40:06  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Arch/ArchWall.py", line 788, in execute
    extdata = self.getExtrusionData(obj)
  File "/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Arch/ArchWall.py", line 1474, in getExtrusionData
    f = Part.Face(sh)
<class 'Part.OCCError'>: Argument list signature is incorrect.

Supported signatures:
(face)
(wire)
(face, wire)
(surface, wire)
(list_of_wires)
(wire, facemaker_class_name)
(list_of_wires, facemaker_class_name)
(surface, list_of_wires)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.15082 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: debian
Hash: d2b4ed02c8198a1b0d9117ff681e9186d3197f32
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
Attachments
sketchy_wall.FCStd
(9.52 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

steelman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 am Apparently I've got the same problem
I am not sure what the original problem is. But you are using an early V0.19 dev version that is almost 10,000 commits behind. Please upgrade first.

When I open the file and recompute the wall, everything looks fine. And I do not experience the issue with the Offset value you mention.
steelman

Post by steelman »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:35 pm
steelman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 am Apparently I've got the same problem
you are using an early V0.19 dev version that is almost 10,000 commits behind.
I am using a version that comes with my OS and I prefer to stick with it for now.
When I open the file and recompute the wall, everything looks fine.
You mean the wall is a cube 2 m by 5 m without top and bottom, right?
And I do not experience the issue with the Offset value you mention.
It's good to know it has been fixed. Thank you for verification.