Create walls from Sketch?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Create walls from Sketch?

Post by Roy_043 »

steelman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:15 pm You mean the wall is a cube 2 m by 5 m without top and bottom, right?
Well, let's be precise: the base is 2mx5m, the wall is centered and has a width of 200mm, so the overall dimensions in plan are 2.2X5.2m.
Attachments
wall-example.png
wall-example.png (30.24 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

steelman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:15 pm
Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:35 pm you are using an early V0.19 dev version that is almost 10,000 commits behind.
I am using a version that comes with my OS and I prefer to stick with it for now.
I use AppImage on Fedora, just download that latest 0.19 release or latest 0.20 weekly build and run it, no need to alter your OS provided installation.

Good luck :)
steelman

Post by steelman »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:35 pm
steelman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 am Apparently I've got the same problem
But you are using an early V0.19 dev version that is almost 10,000 commits behind.
Actually, there are only 50 commits between 0.19.1 and git commit 08c3a6b3e709 in src/Mod/Arch and I have found the porblem. It wasn't hard because I created it myself, trying to solve another one. I don't know yet how to fix both, but at least they are diagnosed. Thank you for your help.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks .hunting and fixing the bugs :)
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

paullee wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:43 am I use sketch also and trying to develop some tools to assist.

Before I could return to my pc to see your file, I guess you have 3 lines connected at 1 point in your sketch. Just do not do that.
Why?

I'd like too to use Sketcher to model the planfoor and then create the walls, but I have some trouble to have different thickness of the wall with sketch and to have loops closed; do you use different sketches or just one master sketch?

It's there any thread or official method/tutorial to design a Floorplan with Sketcher?

[EDIT] ok nevermind, I found this thread to study :D :

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=51653
Last edited by ragohix769 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

ragohix769 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:16 am
paullee wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:43 am I use sketch also and trying to develop some tools to assist.

Before I could return to my pc to see your file, I guess you have 3 lines connected at 1 point in your sketch. Just do not do that.
Why?

I'd like too to use Sketcher to model the planfoor and then create the walls, but I have some trouble to have different thinkness of the wall with sketch and to have loops closed; do you use different sketches or just one master sketch?

It's there any thread or official method/tutorial to design a Floorplan with Sketcher?

[EDIT] ok nevermind, I found this thread to study :D :

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=51653
Currently having 3 lines connected to 1 point may have unexpected ArchWall result at the moment due to the underlying mechanism.

Having different wall Thickness (and Align) for each edge / Wall Segment of a 'complex' Sketch is bit tricky. Have a look at ArchSketch + ArchWall ( Multiple Width / Individual Align ) = Building Layout Object if you want to try.

ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

paullee wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:42 pm
Currently having 3 lines connected to 1 point may have unexpected ArchWall result at the moment due to the underlying mechanism.

Having different wall Thickness (and Align) for each edge / Wall Segment of a 'complex' Sketch is bit tricky. Have a look at ArchSketch + ArchWall ( Multiple Width / Individual Align ) = Building Layout Object if you want to try.
I've seen; I'm trying too to find some solid worflow using sketches for floorplan and make then walls, but as you said it's a bit tricky (at least not solid at all).
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

ragohix769 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:17 am I've seen; I'm trying too to find some solid worflow using sketches for floorplan and make then walls, but as you said it's a bit tricky (at least not solid at all).
I get used to Sketches through building a few models, and using it extensively, with the help of a few features of an experimental add-on.

Maybe you can separately post your model and problems to see if other have a better workflow.