GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Suraj Dadral

Re: GSoC Proposal: Extended functionality of Rebar Addon

Postby Suraj Dadral » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Hello everyone,

Update:
Implement passing rebars list to BOM as per commit: https://github.com/SurajDadral/FreeCAD- ... 5400af56ec
If rebars list contains base rebar objects of rebar2, then all reinforcement objects derived from that base rebars also gets included automatically for generating BOM.

And from Gui, user can select ArchRebar objects, reinforcement objects and/or base rebars objects to include them into BOM.
If nothing is selected, then BOM will be generated for reinforcement in entire model.

To implement selecting structural element for BOM, we need to find method to find structure elements to which each rebar2 object belongs to.
@bernd or @amrit3701 may give direction regarding this.

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Postby Suraj Dadral » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:36 pm

Suraj Dadral wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:40 pm
To implement selecting structural element for BOM, we need to find method to find structure elements to which each rebar2 object belongs to.
Hello everyone,

Selecting structural element for BOM is implemented as per commit: https://github.com/SurajDadral/FreeCAD- ... 405cfbbc28

If you select structures before creating BOM, then all ArchRebar objects having that structure as host will be selected for BOM.

Limitation: You need to manually select rebar2 objects to be included in BOM as discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p405532

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Postby Suraj Dadral » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Today, me and @amrit3701 is having meeting regarding project progress. We were unable to record meeting due to network issue.
We tested following features:
  1. Fix row height when increasing font size.
  2. Rebar Addon as FreeCAD Workbench.
  3. BOM preferences page.
And this one left to discuss because of network issue:
Selecting structures and/or Rebar2 objects for generating BOM.

Suggestions by Amrit:
  1. If possible, add reset button in BOM preferences page to reset only BOM preferences. [low priority]
  2. Add padding to text in each row in BOM SVG. [low priority]
Next plan:
  1. Create documentation for Bill Of Material on FreeCAD wiki pages.
  2. As suggested by Amrit, I should now implement "Automatic Rebars Drawing" as it may take more time than other two features left (bar shape cut list, bar bending schedule).
Suggestions are always welcome. :)

Thanks,
Suraj Dadral

Postby Suraj Dadral » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Suraj Dadral wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:03 pm
Next plan:
  1. Create documentation for Bill Of Material on FreeCAD wiki pages.
Its done: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Rebar_BOM
Please have a look and let me know if any changes/improvements are required.

Suraj Dadral wrote:
2. As suggested by Amrit, I should now implement "Automatic Rebars Drawing" as it may take more time than other two features left (bar shape cut list, bar bending schedule).
Now going to start with this.

Thanks,
amrit3701

Postby amrit3701 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 am

Suraj Dadral wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm
Its done: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Rebar_BOM
Please have a look and let me know if any changes/improvements are required.
Cool :)
Suraj Dadral wrote:

Now going to start with this.
We are waiting...
bernd

Postby bernd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 am

does it mean you do not implement bar shape cut list, but go for the drawings now?

Keep the following in mind: As stated before a drawing is important but could be done manually. But without a bar shape cut list all rebar tools can not be used in real world projects.
amrit3701

Postby amrit3701 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:53 pm

bernd wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:16 am
does it mean you do not implement bar shape cut list, but go for the drawings now?
Hi @bernd,

No, both the bar shape cut list and bar bending schedule should be implemented after the automatic drawings module because it is very much similar to BOM module and Suraj already know the workflow. I think the automatic drawing module implementation will not be easy and quick. Suraj needs to understand how to find rebar position (nodes) after creating its SVG using TechDraw, which rebars visible in front/top/left views of beam and etc. So, I suggested Suraj to implement automatic drawing module because it needs research.

Keep the following in mind: As stated before a drawing is important but could be done manually. But without a bar shape cut list all rebar tools can not be used in real world projects.
Point noted!. Yes, you know the structural engineer stuff much better than me (as I come from the information technology field) and what real-world needs. :)

Thanks,
bernd

Postby bernd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:42 pm

Great. Thanks for all the informations.
Suraj Dadral

Postby Suraj Dadral » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I was exploring TechDraw workbench for generating automatic reinforcement drawing and dimensioning.
This is the point which is opposing me to use TechDraw:
We will not be able to export SVG from freecad console mode: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_ExportPageSVG

Advantages of using TechDraw will be:
1. Things will be editable even after creating drawings. And will be in sync with model.
2. I only need to write code for dimensioning, as drawing will be generated using TechDraw.

If we will be using custom functions (which maybe not preferred) for automatic drawing and dimensioning, then
1. Things can be made editable by using scripted objects.
2. I need to write functions for generating drawing along with automatic dimensioning. Writing functions for generating drawing may not be difficult, as while performing dimensioning, I need to check placement of rebars, so can use that placement for generating drawing also.

If, exporting SVG of drawing from freecad console mode is not problem at all, then I will start coding for this.
So, what is your suggestion @amrit3701 :?:

Thanks,
amrit3701

Postby amrit3701 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:38 am

Suraj Dadral wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:08 pm
Hi all,

I was exploring TechDraw workbench for generating automatic reinforcement drawing and dimensioning.
This is the point which is opposing me to use TechDraw:
We will not be able to export SVG from freecad console mode: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/TechDraw_ExportPageSVG

Advantages of using TechDraw will be:
1. Things will be editable even after creating drawings. And will be in sync with model.
2. I only need to write code for dimensioning, as drawing will be generated using TechDraw.

If we will be using custom functions (which maybe not preferred) for automatic drawing and dimensioning, then
1. Things can be made editable by using scripted objects.
2. I need to write functions for generating drawing along with automatic dimensioning. Writing functions for generating drawing may not be difficult, as while performing dimensioning, I need to check placement of rebars, so can use that placement for generating drawing also.

If, exporting SVG of drawing from freecad console mode is not problem at all, then I will start coding for this.
So, what is your suggestion @amrit3701 :?:
Hi @Suraj,

Go ahead. Use TechDraw workbench. When FreeCADGui is Up will use TechDraw_ExportPageSVG and else user need to install some python external libs to export SVG to PDF (maybe https://pypi.org/project/svglib/, https://cairosvg.org/).
Last edited by amrit3701 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.