how add custom windows in Preset library

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
geolux

how add custom windows in Preset library

Post by geolux »

Hello,
I have customize a door adding hinge, opening set, width ed more.
There is the possibility to add in Preset library my custom door or windows and make me able to use its in other wall and project?
see image
thank's
door_lib_2.jpg
door_lib_2.jpg (668.68 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: how add custom windows in Preset library

Post by bitacovir »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-library
If you read the Usage section here, there is a note about use of additional presets: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Window
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bitacovir wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 pm ...there is a note about use of additional presets: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Window
That's right. Somebody asked this question before, so I added the information to the Arch Window page.

In general, the presets that we see in the default Arch Window task panel are hard-coded in the ArchWindow.py module, so there is no "easy" way to change these. We need to create subdirectories with the structure indicated in the Arch Window page, and then the task panel will look there for more presets.

The "parts library" is actually pretty heavy, so installing it completely is not the best idea if you just want a small component. The easiest way to add a "preset" is just to draw the window in its own FreeCAD document, with appropriate names for the constraints of the sketch. Then whenever you need that window, it can be inserted into the active document (Std_Import). This is basically what the "parts library" does; it just imports objects made in a single FreeCAD file, or STEP files in certain cases.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

vocx wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 am it can be inserted into the active document (Std_Import)
Perhaps you mean Std_MergeProjects?
geolux

Post by geolux »

Than's for your help and info.
I had read of all of this, but I'm looking for a simple directly way to add a new window in the preset.
I think that is a good idea to add it in the future features
geolux

Post by geolux »

Just for understand, for future question too.
Is here the correct part of the forum where suggest a new features or a bub reporting?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Maybe we could make the Window tool look into another folder as well? This way users wouldn't need to install the whole library...
And indeed it would make the creation of new presets much simpler.
geolux

Post by geolux »

yorik wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm Maybe we could make the Window tool look into another folder as well? This way users wouldn't need to install the whole library...
And indeed it would make the creation of new presets much simpler.
Hi yorik,
yes of course, but I'm thinking to a simple "ad to library" command to use selecting a new custom window. In this case the command will save the object in the specific folder, and the new window will appear in the pre-set
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay let's go by parts ;)

With git commit bbea2dbb7 it is now possible to use .FCStd files as presets. They must be placed in FreeCADUserData/Arch/Windows or FreeCCADUserData/Arch/Doors

Then we can see about allowing to save a selected window as a preset in an elegant way...
geolux

Post by geolux »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:58 pm Okay let's go by parts ;)

With git commit bbea2dbb7 it is now possible to use .FCStd files as presets. They must be placed in FreeCADUserData/Arch/Windows or FreeCCADUserData/Arch/Doors

Then we can see about allowing to save a selected window as a preset in an elegant way...
OMG @yorik ... Thank you so much.
I'm going to see it.
GREAT