[Discussion] A different approach to Arch modelling (Arch Assembly?)

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: [Discussion] A different approach to Arch modelling (Arch Assembly?)

Post by paullee »

I do not have windows so haven't tried TAD. But it seems TAD and particularly Topologic are inspiring.

I have been thinking ways to build Space and Wall in one go, like the concept of 'Cell Complex' in Topologic. Have some discussion in OSArch here

So the model embed and deliver the spatial order, e.g. in 'dual graph' like bubble diagram.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

paullee wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:21 pm I do not have windows so haven't tried TAD. But it seems TAD and particularly Topologic are inspiring.
Indeed they are. What fascinates me most about TAD is the idea to design spaces first and then to populate the gaps between them with walls, structures, equipments. It kinda fits my daily workflow...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

carlopav wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm Indeed they are. What fascinates me most about TAD is the idea to design spaces first and then to populate the gaps between them with walls, structures, equipments. It kinda fits my daily workflow...
In fact, I saw the video in OSArch about TAD but forgot how exatly it works, remember something about boundary. In the OSArch discussion about using Topologic in Blender by @brunopostle, he did more or less the way you describe.

I have been trying to automatic building of Wall using a Sketch as you may aware, and have been trying to build Space (Room) by each 'cell' defined in the Sketch - so as to automatic the creation of Wall and Space (Rooms) altogether. This is extremely hard to me, partially and manually done - partly covered in a discussion about Automatic Floor Area Calculation.

See if you have better idea :)
Meetlat

Post by Meetlat »

Hi Carlopav I really enjoined watching your video's and see the BIM functionality progress. Are you still developing?
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Thanks, no, i'm not developing at the Moment, but Hope to restart ASAP....
Probably not exactly on this path... We will see... :)
Anyway id like to complete those tools and to not leave them half finished...
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

Hi,

First time in a while opening latest beta version of Freecad. I like the direction of the new tools, but they seem that they are completely independent from the existing tools? E.g., it doesn't seem possible to host a wall opening with a door into an existing type of wall? Reason being is that I've found using a sketch to generate linework for walls to be the fastest, but the problem of hosted windows and walls adjusting cannot be resolved as far as i i know with the old door/wall tools.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Indeed @carlopav's development is awesome :D Especially he had used @realthunder's branch to enable variation of a window type (kind of Configuration Table probably).

I am obsessed with using Sketch to do an overall Architectural Layout though. @carlopav's focus to do a Wall Segment per object.

Hope there will be further development :D
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Thanks for testing.
dimitar wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:34 am I like the direction of the new tools, but they seem that they are completely independent from the existing tools? E.g., it doesn't seem possible to host a wall opening with a door into an existing type of wall? Reason being is that I've found using a sketch to generate linework for walls to be the fastest, but the problem of hosted windows and walls adjusting cannot be resolved as far as i i know with the old door/wall tools.

Yes, you are right, they are... this was a design decision that I had to make to make sure objects grouped into a wall segment are moved according to the wall.
Also the opening tool is a completely different object... and perhaps this was not needed... I dont' know...

For the sketch workflow (Paullee's favourite), I tried different times to merge that part of yorik's code into the new object. Unluckly it's too complicated for me and I always failed...

As soon as I'll have some time to go back to the development, perhaps it would be nice to chat a bit on the possible directions (also taking into account that at that time topologic library could be fully supported in FC).
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dimitar wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:34 am First time in a while opening latest beta version of Freecad. I like the direction of the new tools, but they seem that they are completely independent from the existing tools? E.g., it doesn't seem possible to host a wall opening with a door into an existing type of wall? Reason being is that I've found using a sketch to generate linework for walls to be the fastest, but the problem of hosted windows and walls adjusting cannot be resolved as far as i i know with the old door/wall tools.
Maybe you can share you thoughts on possible development / tools to be added / idea workflow ?

I see you have extensive experience in you youtube channel D
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

carlopav wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:27 pm As soon as I'll have some time to go back to the development, perhaps it would be nice to chat a bit on the possible directions (also taking into account that at that time topologic library could be fully supported in FC).
Looking forward to it :)
paullee wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:09 pm Maybe you can share you thoughts on possible development / tools to be added / idea workflow ?

I see you have extensive experience in you youtube channel D
The biggest challenge i still have with Freecad is the lack of usability for the super basic BIM generation that I've become accustomed to with Revit and VisualARQ (BIM plugin for Rhino):
-walls
-hosted doors/windows
-organising a file in a way that it's easy to have types of doors and windows that can continue to be developed and updated where all instance are around.

For walls, a sketch works most of the time, and much better than a few years ago. I find this to be the fastest workflow and the most parametric. There are still the occasional hiccups like this:
FreeCAD_9yIU6KiM4r.png
FreeCAD_9yIU6KiM4r.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
It is however, quite a different workflow form typical one, of just drawing walls, and being able to trim/extend, duplicate and dimension directly between the wall elements. This is where i see the work being developed great to bridge usability.

For hosted doors and windows, right now, it's a pain. I have found a way to host the lines on a line on the sketch, but it gets tricky with duplicating, hosting/subtracting.