[Discussion] A different approach to Arch modelling (Arch Assembly?)

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: [Discussion] A different approach to BIM modelling (BIM Assembly?)

Post by carlopav »

paullee wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:48 pm Yes ! Even w/o complication of App:Link, just with @abdullah's Part Geometry Extension... long story.
I was speaking about App::Link because my goal is that the wall always contain all the objects that it refer to, as real object or as Link to them. I think this helps the user to have it all clear and in-place.
1st question, how do the attribute identify when end of wall to 'join' ?
Check out the macro code, it's the method Wall.guess_join_type(obj, target)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
geolux

Post by geolux »

paullee wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:19 pm
geolux wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:38 pm Other different approach directly from a commercial BIM parametric software. Most other software woork similary. One is worth the other
The important things are:
- the walls never are merged together, they always reman an indipendet walls and you can modify it
- when a wall graft other wall, there are never a line of intersection
- when an intersection continue behond a wall, the new wall will be split in two indipendent parts
- the snap tools and guide lines are always active, in 2D or 3D drawing
@paullee
@yorik
@carlopav
@Renato
Almost, except when an intersection cut across another wall, it will not be split into independent parts :)

But more, with Sketch, one can add / edit the layout by build-in Constraints and automatically update by its Solver :D

phpBB [video]
OK, but, have you solved the independent setting of the align and width for each wall?
geolux

Post by geolux »

paullee wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 pm And Placing + Aligning a Window to Intersection of Wall

should be done with a few clicks

phpBB [video]
Well done @paullee :D
logically, this your interesting idea when integrated in FG can be added to the standard command of the windows tool? I mean that should be appropriate avoid a lot of click and setting. The dreem would be thath when I put a windows at wall all your constraint will be automatic activated.
Sorry my ignorance in programming field :roll:
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Now they work ok and they also return back to 90deg ends when emptying the joinTo fields!

update.gif
update.gif (699.79 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Attachments
wall.FCMacro
(19.27 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
geolux

Post by geolux »

I was thinking at other different approach to resolve the problem of union of multiple walls with different width or different alignment.
So, we know that the walls union work nice if they are on the same sketch but in this case we can't modific width and allignment singly. Morever, if we draw the wall on different sketchs we can modific width and allignment but at intersection we'll have displeasing lines.
But if we could able to use the constraints betwen different sketchs? Try to explain me better.
We could draw the walls - 30cm width in the sketch A and the walls - 50cm width on the sketch B. Inside of each sketch we'll use the constrains togheter the walls with the same feautures BUT we'll use just one o more constrains to connect the two groups at the specifich points; point to point, point to tangent, etc. from sketch A to sketch B

Is it too hard develop this feature? can this approac resolve the problem?

If YES you can reply this message ... if NO this message will be destroyed in 10 secons ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

geolux wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:36 pm I was thinking at other different approach to resolve the problem of union of multiple walls with different width or different alignment.
So, we know that the walls union work nice if they are on the same sketch but in this case we can't modific width and allignment singly. Morever, if we draw the wall on different sketchs we can modific width and allignment but at intersection we'll have displeasing lines.
But if we could able to use the constraints betwen different sketchs? Try to explain me better.
I am not sure if this can be done for the real programmers here. But somehow this can be done in different way.
  • Currently ArchWall already let you to alter each edges Align / Width - w/o the SketchObjectPython implementation (there are a few youtube video captures)
  • Or, You make a 'Master Sketch', so you have every constraints you need.
  • Then, the 'classic' way is to do another (dependent) Sketch(es) and only link to the edges there by Link to External Geometry as you want - this is subject to toponaming problem as you would expect
  • Another way I implemented is Link to the edges by the 'Tag' (clumsy in implementation) / Abdullah's Part Geometry Extension (not yet implemented)
  • Then you can build the Wall on this / these dependent Sketch(es)
  • The very latest idea is just let ArchWall optionally select the edges of Sketch one would like it to build on (not implemented yet)
It seems this thread raise a numbers of ideas, hope a few approach would be agreed and get implemented for betterment of the WB :D
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

paullee wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:07 pm It seems this thread raise a numbers of ideas, hope a few approach would be agreed and get implemented for betterment of the WB :D
This is the purpouse of the topic, but we have to bring it to the end!
I'm actually working on joining walls with different width, the algo is almost finished, but i still have some wrong joints related to the use of math.asin()... let's see!
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Here is my quarantine easter egg!
If everyone wants to try the macro and report back possible cases where joinings do not work, this will be appreciated! Edit: hmm quite found a lot of bugs, or bunnies? Uploaded the new macro file.
Anyway @Yorik, what do you think?

muri.gif
muri.gif (802.25 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Attachments
wall.FCMacro
(29.77 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

carlopav wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:08 pm
I realy like it. It looks like a Smart BIM modeler.
Also. It makes a lot of sense if you create this link among walls. Therefore, you can do a lot of edition in a wall (like moving or changing the thickness) and the program just update the changes to the link. That is good.
Here, take my two cents.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Thanks bitacovir,
bitacovir wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:53 pm you can do a lot of edition in a wall (like moving or changing the thickness) and the program just update the changes to the link.
Absolutely! Even if what I like more with this approach is that everything is exposed to the user: the base geometry, the openings, the windows etc... We could even add a property to associate a sketch profile of the elevation of the wall and use it to perform a boolean intersection with the base geometry to obtain a variable height wall.