Assembly 4 and Draft/Arch workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DDM

Assembly 4 and Draft/Arch workbench

Post by DDM »

Hello,

I found some problems between assembly4 and draft/arch workbench.
This is a test that follows what I found here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=44808 (an assembly turns to black when I create a structure object based on it).

I found that the problems is related to the LCS that the user creates to assembly the parts and not with the Add::Part element.

Here there are two examples:

1) A part without the LCS based of an extruded part element: there aren't problems if I create the structure element based on the part container
2) Same part with the LCS: the problems are:
- the element turns to black
- the hole becomes a square
- the "Shape2Dview" does not work and the report shows "<Part> ViewProviderExt.cpp(1324): Cannot compute Inventor representation for the shape of Unnamed#Shape2DView001"

In the example 1 the "Shape2Dview" works fine.

Have any idea?
I don't know if I have to post this topic also in the assembly subforum...

Thanks for replies,
Cheers,
Marco

FCinfo
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20655 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e8e67e8c5ebbc9f9ed9ea67aba5b891969595ece
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Attachments
2-Part_Container_with_LCS.FCStd
(28.9 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
1-Part_Container_with_LCS.PNG
1-Part_Container_with_LCS.PNG (302.21 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
1-Part_Container.PNG
1-Part_Container.PNG (292.53 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
1-Part_Container.FCStd
(29.52 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
vocx
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 and Draft/Arch workbench

Post by vocx »

DDM wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:11 pm ...
1) A part without the LCS based of an extruded part element: there aren't problems if I create the structure element based on the part container
Arch Structure was never designed to work in this way with Std_Part.

A Std_Part is supposed to be the topmost container for doing mechanical assembly, so it shouldn't be inside an Arch Structure. If anything, an Arch Structure could be inside a Std_Part.

Wrong.

Code: Select all

Arch_Structure
    |
    - Std_Part
        |
        - Solid
Maybe it works.

Code: Select all

Std_Part
    |
    - Arch_Structure
        |
        - Solid
But the most important question is, what do you want to do?

The Arch Workbench was conceived to work as its own thing. It does not need to be used with assembly workbenches. These workbenches are usually meant for mechanical design, that is, to create solid bodies, like bases, screws, gears, levers, etc., and place them following some rules, some constraints. In architecture you don't usually establish such relationships as constraints, but rather you base your work on a floor plan with defined distances between the different elements, like walls and columns. With the Draft Workbench you can create a 2D floor plan, and with the Arch Workbench you create the proper 3D objects in space.

Using Std Parts or assembly workbenches was never tested, or explicitly supported by Arch. There are some ideas of using a more assembly-like workflow in architecture, but this is not really developed at the moment. See [Discussion] A different approach to BIM modelling (BIM Assembly?)
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
DDM

Post by DDM »

Thanks @vox for reply and explanations..
But the most important question is, what do you want to do?
You are right, sorry, I didn't explain what I want to do...

My goal is to assembly structural steel parts (colums/beams, end plates, bolts) with constraints like the assembly workbenches do.
With constraints if you change the dimension of a part (i.e. the end plates of a beam) its position in the assembly doesn't change.
I found the Local Coordinate System of the assembly useful to this scope, also recently @Zolko added the fasteners to the workbench...

I tried to transform the assembly (i.e. a complete steel column) in a strcuture element to assign its properties (material, IFC type...).

I will try this...
Maybe it works.

Std_Part
|
- Arch_Structure
|
- Solid
and follow this
See [Discussion] A different approach to BIM modelling (BIM Assembly?)
Thanks, Marco
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

DDM wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 am ping
Hey Marco, also this discussion is probably of your interest: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p386777
alafr wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:01 pm ping
Alafr is doing a great job with structures for arch.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
DDM

Post by DDM »

Hey Marco, also this discussion is probably of your interest: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p386777
Thanks Carlo for the link...I missed it...

I will take a look...

Cheers, Marco
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

DDM wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 am ...
I tried to transform the assembly (i.e. a complete steel column) in a strcuture element to assign its properties (material, IFC type...).
You mean the complete assembly of the steel, with bolts and nuts, and things like that? I would find that strange. In that case, I would make a simple copy or compound of the assembly, and use that inside the Arch Structure. In any case, an Arch Structure containing a Std Part isn't the proper thing to do.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
DDM

Post by DDM »

You mean the complete assembly of the steel, with bolts and nuts, and things like that?
..yes I mean this..
I would find that strange. In that case, I would make a simple copy or compound of the assembly, and use that inside the Arch Structure. In any case, an Arch Structure containing a Std Part isn't the proper thing to do.
I usually use compounds to arrange elements, but in this way there aren't relation between single parts. If a part changes you have to move manually in the assembly, while with LCS the part remains in its position....

I found strange that a Std part without LCS of the Assembly4 can be converted correcty to a structure element, while with LCS the same element becames black and changes in shape (the hole in the example)..