[Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

[Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

Post by regis »

Hello everyone who is in this cool community, I have a few features to request that I think to make a great enhancement to Freecad.

It would be great for the “Make Compound of Several Shapes” to have at least the “material” property option. Highlighted in Yellow, but if possible to have the other options in pink aswell.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_Compound
Snipaste_2020-05-12_12-47-22.png
Snipaste_2020-05-12_12-47-22.png (19.57 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
This is useful when organizing the project for documentation to group objects and assign the grouped(combined) objects a specific manterial that can apply to all the objects inside that group. Currently the combine object only has a base option
Snipaste_2020-05-12_12-50-51.png
Snipaste_2020-05-12_12-50-51.png (329.07 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20943 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ceb23799c76df3ebfa7be4b9fe83bb62de60bc6c
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
carlopav
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

Post by carlopav »

Hey there!
You can add whatevery property you want to FC objects.
Just right click on the property panel, show all, and add property.
Of course the object will just have the property, how this property is handled by the object and by modifiers/exporters entirely depend on them...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
regis

Re: [Feature Request] Assign Material property to ‘Make Compound of Several Shapes’

Post by regis »

carlopav wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:49 pm Hey there!
You can add whatevery property you want to FC objects.
Just right click on the property panel, show all, and add property.
Of course the object will just have the property, how this property is handled by the object and by modifiers/exporters entirely depend on them...
This is good news,
but when i do the show all i don't see the add property
Snipaste_2020-05-12_14-15-58.png
Snipaste_2020-05-12_14-15-58.png (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

regis wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:17 pm but when i do the show all i don't see the add property
RMB again and find fantasy. :D
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:17 pm This is good news,
One good news and one bad probably to my understanding :)

Good news 1st - You right click around the Data Tab area of the Combo, you see the ShowAll again (Fedora 31 won't let me capture this dialog, it disappear when i do), and below are an additional list amongst which the 1st one is 'Add Property'.

Bad news - You can add properties you like e.g. Remarks, Tag ...etc. good, But there are not codes to handle them e.g. if you add Material (like those in Arch Object, the colour assigned will be used if you assign a material), whatever material you selected, nothing will change.

(fc_tofu just explain :) )
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:46 pm regis wrote: ↑Tue May 12, 2020 1:17 pm
This is good news,
One good news and one bad probably to my understanding

Good news 1st - You right click around the Data Tab area of the Combo, you see the ShowAll again (Fedora 31 won't let me capture this dialog, it disappear when i do), and below are an additional list amongst which the 1st one is 'Add Property'.

Bad news - You can add properties you like e.g. Remarks, Tag ...etc. good, But there are not codes to handle them e.g. if you add Material (like those in Arch Object, the colour assigned will be used if you assign a material), whatever material you selected, nothing will change.

(fc_tofu just explain )
NO luck fellows,
fc_tofu wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:34 pm RMB again and find fantasy.
Thanks Alice in wonderland, is it really that hard for a experienced user to find your rabbit friend? :D :lol:
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Nothing ?

When you find the dialog 'Show all' by RMB, you have only this option right?

You select it, and you got a longer list in the Properties....

Now, you RMB again as you find the dialog when show 'Show all', and you find the 'Show all' list become much longer - it includes 'add property'....

Maybe you try another object - I test it with Part Cube.

Good luck.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

regis wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:17 pm This is good news,
See the information on Actions in the Property_editor page. You need to select a property, and right click again to open the "Add property" dialog.

By the way, what you want, a compound with "Arch properties", I think could be implemented by selecting the existing compound and turning it into an Arch Component, which is the generic Arch object underneath all Arch objects.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
regis

Post by regis »

thanks a bunch guys, i see it now, it works for structure object i tested and for a part object, but it doesnt work for "make a compound of serveral shapes" or the "create simple non parametric object" in BIM WB and Part WB
regis

Post by regis »

I testing to add material property, im not too sure what i'm not doing well
Attachments
Snipaste_2020-05-12_17-20-29.png
Snipaste_2020-05-12_17-20-29.png (172.88 KiB) Viewed 1291 times