An open source home in the BIM workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: An open source home in the BIM workbench

Post by Roy_043 »

OverkillTASF wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:22 am It just goes to selecting `Default Site`
I have seen this before. The problem is caused by the default site containing a 3D representation of the nested objects. The solution is to delete the site (without deleting its content of course). Alternatively you can change the Selectable property (on the View tab) of the site to false.
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 am I have seen this before. The problem is caused by the default site containing a 3D representation of the nested objects. The solution is to delete the site (without deleting its content of course). Alternatively you can change the Selectable property (on the View tab) of the site to false.
Toggling selectability off made it so the site no longer got selected, but I still couldn't select the panel from the 3d view. Your site-deletion suggestion worked, however.

I'm still unable to use the Subtract tool with an extrusion and a panel... No errors or anything in the report view. I thought this was how I did the holes previously...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

OverkillTASF wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm I thought this was how I did the holes previously...
You have used the Part_Cut tool. The Arch_Remove tool does not work with panels.
PMac

Post by PMac »

OverkillTASF wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm Your site-deletion suggestion worked, however.
That Selectable property on an Arch Site has proved to be a nasty gotcha! I too got some odd selection results after it it was toggled to False but deletion fixed the issue.
PMac

Post by PMac »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:01 pm The Arch_Remove tool does not work with panels.
I beg to differ - that's how I do it all the time - see attached file.

Draw Panel, re-orient upright and re-position to suit. Draw rectangle partially covering panel, extrude it to straddle panel. Select extrusion, Ctrl-select Panel, press Arch Remove. Voila, a cut panel!

Command that was executed from Python Command Console was
Arch.removeComponents([FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Extrude],FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Panel)
Attachments
A0090020PanelCuts001.FCStd
(11.71 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

PMac wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:06 pmI beg to differ
You are correct. The question is then: why does it fail for Panel010 in OverkillTASF's file?
PMac

Post by PMac »

OverkillTASF wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:12 pm I don't know _anything_ about garage door framing... and the left side, while it won't have a garage door _yet_, the ability to easily add one later is part of the build requirements. So I'm probably gonna leave that bit undone and see what the structural engineer has to say.
I had a squiz at DuckDuckGo re garage opening portal frames which they seem to be called.

Mr Weyerhauser (a large timber processor in the US), the International Building Code (IRC) and others seem to have some pretty good sketches and notes re these large openings.

A few quick pointers from what I read:
Max opening according to the IRC is 18'. Above that, a timber header cannot withstand the loads and tends toward lateral buckling, ie. the header bows inward or outward toward catastrophic failure. Similarly pony walls above dropped headers cause fixing headaches for downward load paths from the roof over large openings - avoid dropped headers. Attachment of header ends to the king stud(s) at each end to stop header rollover and to transfer load paths down the foundations is ultra-critical.

Continuous garage door opening headers fully extending from over the door opening over an adjacent doorway or window is frowned upon - the compression loads flip to the bottom of such a header, reducing the lateral restraint. It makes the connection from the header underside to the narrow supporting mid-wall section act like a hinge under loads. Bad news for an already heavily loaded beam! Better to have a separate header for each opening, with common centrally located ends each supported by their own king posts. Lateral restraint is then only needed for the header top edge in compression.

It is often needed to have the garage door opening with in-plane structural bracing in the walls adjacent to the left and right ends of such large openings. To do this bracing needs to be in adjacent wall sections each at least 18" wide. This at extreme opening limits of 18' necessitates a total wall length of upwards of 21'. 6" of wall at each end of a large opening will not cut it.

Plenty of design issues to contemplate there! I'm sure your structural wizard will confirm such requirements for timber portal framing, but going on the info already available out there, I'm sure you could do a credible initial design to incorporate your future garage door.
PMac

Post by PMac »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:37 pm The question is then: why does it fail for Panel010 in OverkillTASF's file?
Will have to look again later today - only quick idea is the selection order correct?

Cheers.
PMac

Post by PMac »

PMac wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:38 pm
Continuing on...

I see in the latest gitlab version of the house from OKill, there is no cut of Panel010. Looked at previous copies I had downloaded, I'll admit that I did lose track of which copy is which. Maybe some sort of versioning is required in the filename?

The underlying rectangle for the extrusion seems to be at 90 degrees to the actual Panel010 and is located at the rear of the house/garage we should be cutting something out of. Once re-oriented by 90 deg to be aligned to the panel, re-positioned the rectangle to the intended doorway and then reverse rotated / repositioned the extrusion by 90 degrees an actual cut seems to work on Panel010 using an extrusion and Arch Remove.

Cheers, PMac.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

PMac wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:29 am an actual cut seems to work on Panel010 using an extrusion and Arch Remove.
Thanks for your analysis. But this may also be a bug. In the original file the extrusion and the panel intersect. I would think that the Arc_Remove command should then work.