An open source home in the BIM workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OverkillTASF

Re: An open source home in the BIM workbench

Post by OverkillTASF »

PMac wrote: The underlying rectangle for the extrusion seems to be at 90 degrees to the actual Panel010 and is located at the rear of the house/garage we should be cutting something out of. Once re-oriented by 90 deg to be aligned to the panel, re-positioned the rectangle to the intended doorway and then reverse rotated / repositioned the extrusion by 90 degrees an actual cut seems to work on Panel010 using an extrusion and Arch Remove.
Nice. Ok just so I understand, this is your outlining of the circumstance that leads to this, right? There's not an expectation that the shape that serves as an extrusion's inspirations be moved around _with_ the extrusion, right?
PMac

Post by PMac »

OverkillTASF wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 am Nice. Ok just so I understand, this is your outlining of the circumstance that leads to this, right? There's not an expectation that the shape that serves as an extrusion's inspirations be moved around _with_ the extrusion, right?
Maybe there is such an expectation.

As you had drawn it, I attempted to make it work with the underlying door rectangle at 90 deg to the plane but failed. Nothing I did would make the cut work. The moment I rotated the door shape to lie along the plane (and subsequently corrected the extrusion), the cut as expected seemed to work.
Maybe there is a need to have a separately aligned extrusion inspiration for each extrusion plane.

Roy_043 in the previous post (and currently I agree with him having re-looked at your first post house available to download today) suggests, there is possibly some underlying issue not presently evident that stops the cut working. Like Roy says the cut isn't working.

I'm off to retest separately various panel cuts with plain rectangle inspirations for cut extrusions with the inspiration inline or at 90 deg to the intended cut panel to see what currently works. I've always placed the inspiration, with the resultant extrusion straddling the object plane where I need the cut. Maybe rightly or wrongly in that line of action.

Hope this helps.
PMac

Post by PMac »

OverkillTASF wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 am
Hi OverkillTASF,

The plot thickens. I've been idly watching telly and trying out some combinations of Inspiration (underlying rectangles), subsequent Extrusions and an Arch Remove cut on a Panel. See attached file.

I've left all the rectangular inspirations and cut extrusions visible in the file so it is easy to see the alignments and separations.. Also I tested inspirations aligned to the panel plane and at 90 degrees to the panel.

The key takeaway I've noticed is that if the underlying inspiration is separated from the extrusion, the cut fails or is misplaced. This unfortunately seems to confirm the expectation that the extrusion must follow / be coincident with the inspiration for a successful cut. Probably not the result you expected or wanted. Alternatively, I've have not experienced such issues because I've always positioned the inspiration with each extrusion.

Hope this further helps. It has certainly has increased my knowledge in this area.

Cheers. PMac
Attachments
A00120001PanelCuts001.FCStd
(37.86 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

https://gitlab.com/Tyler-2/starter-home ... home.FCStd

Now I'm having issues moving Beam077 vertically. It will become an LVL header for the garage door span, but I'm unable to move it up or down... Still running 22336.
The key takeaway I've noticed is that if the underlying inspiration is separated from the extrusion, the cut fails or is misplaced. This unfortunately seems to confirm the expectation that the extrusion must follow / be coincident with the inspiration for a successful cut. Probably not the result you expected or wanted. Alternatively, I've have not experienced such issues because I've always positioned the inspiration with each extrusion.
That's gotta be a bug! If multiple extrusions are based on / inspired by one "profile" shape, which one should the profile move around with? In any case the `Difference` tool seems to do the trick.
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

OverkillTASF wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 pm https://gitlab.com/Tyler-2/starter-home ... home.FCStd

Now I'm having issues moving Beam077 vertically. It will become an LVL header for the garage door span, but I'm unable to move it up or down... Still running 22336.
Ah, oops. I had done some parametric-stuff in the position of a window header and copied a window header to base this one off of, and forgotten. So the Z was set to a specific height based on other measurements. Resolved!
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

https://gitlab.com/Tyler-2/starter-home ... home.FCStd
Screenshot_2020-10-23_13-45-08.png
Screenshot_2020-10-23_13-45-08.png (33.97 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Last bedroom window framed, header placed (until structural engineer has better details) on four uh, cripples I guess. Note that the sole plate and all of the vertical framing/windows in that section will be removed when it comes time to convert to "garage" mode. Planning for that, while also still trying to get 4' centers for my sheathing to land on was a little frustrating...
Screenshot_2020-10-23_13-49-26.png
Screenshot_2020-10-23_13-49-26.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
Screenshot_2020-10-23_13-49-34.png
Screenshot_2020-10-23_13-49-34.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

Panic this evening... I threw together a 2-shipping container storage area that I need to get a building permit for... and I'm having an incredibly difficult time getting section views to work appropriately. I end up with items missing, weird render errors... It has me very worried that all of this work will result in something presentable... Is it folly to try to have my elevations and whatnot rendered in techdraw sheets? What stage is best for adding dimensions?
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

Added wallboard all around.
Screenshot_2021-01-04_20-25-16.png
Screenshot_2021-01-04_20-25-16.png (67.83 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Now it looks much more boring given all the work that went into framing, but that's life I guess.

At this point I'd like to draw the interior rooms just as non-structurally accurate walls. I find Inkscape is a lot easier to do this, and that's where I did my first original plan. Drawing a wall and up against another wall and then bumping it X inches down without worrying about 3d space is a better workflow when doing floor planning. But I guess I'll try to do it in the draft workbench....

Still really worried about getting the cross sections out of this that I'll need when I submit it to the planning dept...
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

Found a problem with the rear wall wallboard... went in to fix it... and also discovered that when you move a panel that has had a subtraction done on it, the volume you used for the subtraction also is moved. Which is really unexpected.... at least in this use case.
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

Added a window I forgot about, made a few small tweaks, and added some section views for the walls/windows.

Not suuuuuper happy with the flexibility of the section views... For instance I'd like to be able to cross hatch cut areas as is the convention. Not sure why the defaults make cut lines BOLD either... but with some tweaking I can get that to look basically right. Adding dimensions here is a lot harder and weirder than I expected, as is adding callout lines and labels... maybe I'm missing something.
Screenshot_2021-01-12_00-26-18.png
Screenshot_2021-01-12_00-26-18.png (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Screenshot_2021-01-12_00-25-12.png
Screenshot_2021-01-12_00-25-12.png (22.03 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Screenshot_2021-01-12_00-25-32.png
Screenshot_2021-01-12_00-25-32.png (23.49 KiB) Viewed 1308 times