An open source home in the BIM workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
OverkillTASF

Re: An open source home in the BIM workbench

Post by OverkillTASF »

Added the roof trusses, the ceiling drywall, and started on one of the gable ends. The gable end is going to be a real beast because of the overhang details.

Here's the left side (which will be the front of the house, really) with the sheathing removed.
Screenshot_2021-01-15_00-20-40.png
Screenshot_2021-01-15_00-20-40.png (38.31 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
The weird framing is so that the wall can be torn out and a garage door installed at some point in the future.
KevlarTiger3D

Post by KevlarTiger3D »

I read this. I have been very interested in the use as an architectural drawing tool. It was interesting to watch the house take shape.
My first steady job was using my construction training in an office was using Softplan to draw houses, so I tend to draw everything in my head in a Soft plan manner. Exercises like these are helping me rethink my processes.

About some terms:
Short studs above and below an opening = Cripples
Tall Stud next to an opening = King Stud ( a few other names around the country)
Short stud next to king stud that holds up the header = Jack (or Trimmer)
PMac

Post by PMac »

OverkillTASF wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:26 am Added the roof trusses, the ceiling drywall, and started on one of the gable ends. The gable end is going to be a real beast because of the overhang details. ...
Fantastic progress so far. Great to see the effort you're obviously applying and learning along the way. Good to see the incorporated future garage door framing with plenty of room for lateral in-plane bracing allowed at each side of the garage door.

For eaves overhangs, like cut-down rafter ends, this is how I do it. Create an XZ plane sketch for each different overhang shape. For example, a 240mm deep rafter might extend 500-600mm as an overhang past the supporting top plate, with the overhanging eaves underside part being cut away to form a stepped 90mm rafter overhang. Detail the sketch so that the rafter length and overhang lengths are separate but easily changed. Also set rake/slope angle to future proof any changes. Extrude the sketch by 45mm to form a nominally 240x45 thick rafter base object of your desired shape. Hide this base object. Clone each of your rafters (Arch/Clone the hidden base object each time, do not form one clone and try to copy) and position each rafter as required (eg at 1200mm centres/spacing) along the building length.

Hope this helps, P.
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

KevlarTiger3D wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 am About some terms:
Short studs above and below an opening = Cripples
Tall Stud next to an opening = King Stud ( a few other names around the country)
Short stud next to king stud that holds up the header = Jack (or Trimmer)
I've found that a lot of terms are regional which makes talking about this on the Internet a real PITA!

The terms you've used are the ones I'm familiar with too, though! I'd probably have better naming if I had an easy way to bulk rename objects.
PMac wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:41 pm For eaves overhangs, like cut-down rafter ends, this is how I do it.
Can you share a file with this illustrated? I've got this problem right now:
Screenshot_2021-01-24_00-10-48.png
Screenshot_2021-01-24_00-10-48.png (22.17 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
PMac

Post by PMac »

... For eaves overhangs, like cut-down rafter ends, this is how I do it. ...
... Can you share a file with this illustrated? ...

Have attached demo file with rafters as requested. The demo file is taken from a much larger personal project I've got on the go. The rafters shown only cover one half of the house - I haven't drawn the others to date.

Anyway, you'll see the rafter bases (hidden) are drawn from underlying sketches. These sketches are drawn on the XZ plane. The sketches are positioned in the XZ plane to match and sit on the top plate positions. Note that the sketches are not mapped to any part of the structure. The rafter base sketches are then extruded by the single rafter thickness (45mm) to form a specifically shaped rafter base which is correctly positioned when looking at the Front view (XZ plane). The overhangs and fine detail like birds mouth seat cuts are detailed in the sketches, including the 10 degree proof pitch.

From each of the specifically shaped rafter bases with underlying sketches, the actual rafters are individually cloned. From there each cloned rafter is positioned as required along the Y-axis. Individual cloning is tedious, but has the advantage that if I decide to change the pitch, rafter length or overhang in the future via a sketch alteration, all the clones will immediately change. The rafters in this project are nominally 2x240x45mm closely nailed together to safely cover the span and are nominally placed at 1200mm centres.

As for your other issue - bulk renaming. I breakdown all my structure objects with creative naming and place them in their respective groups. You end up with a lot of groups, but it easy to hide groups of things like internal or external walls. Within each group, I usually select the first item, making sure the last part of each item label is a number like "001". I then copy the label text of the selected item to bulk label the other group items. The number at the end will automatically increment over the item group.

Hope this helps, feel free to raise further questions.

I too am learning, having my own issues in other areas and have been watching your project closely to see how others solve issues.

Cheers Peter.
Attachments
A00150014RafterDemo001.FCStd
(152.8 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

PMac wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:14 am As for your other issue - bulk renaming. I breakdown all my structure objects with creative naming and place them in their respective groups. You end up with a lot of groups, but it easy to hide groups of things like internal or external walls. Within each group, I usually select the first item, making sure the last part of each item label is a number like "001". I then copy the label text of the selected item to bulk label the other group items. The number at the end will automatically increment over the item group.

Oh MAN. I had been selecting multiple and then right clicking to rename. Not that your post made it clearer but you were saying it is possible which implied there was another way to do it. Therefore I now know... <clears throat and prepares to speak to the search engine crawler bots>:

To bulk rename objects in FreeCad, select them, and then modify the Label attribute in the Data view. Do not right click and rename, that won't work.
PMac

Post by PMac »

OverkillTASF wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:29 am To bulk rename objects in FreeCad ...
Happy to assist.
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

I haven't gotten a chance to look at / try your rafter cut technique.

Right now I'm trying to work on some details on the roof surface.

Instead of looking at the front, left, right, or top of the roof, I need to look squarely at the surface of the roof. So that up the roof is Y, towards the ends is X, and directly through the roof is Z.

I don't know what this is called, or how to do it...
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

Ah, I think I figured it out...

To change the working plane and view to the face of an object:

1. Go to the Draft workbench.
2. In the Utilities menu, pick "Select Plane".
3. Click "Move working plane" and pick the face of the object you want to move the working plane to.
Now the X/Y/Z are aligned with that object and if you pick "center view" your view will be rotated in line with it too.
Screenshot_2021-01-30_21-33-01.png
Screenshot_2021-01-30_21-33-01.png (624.95 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
OverkillTASF

Post by OverkillTASF »

PMac, I Got a chance to look at your rafter work.

It looks like essentially you do a custom sketch of the rafter profile and extrude that. I can definitely see how that would be easier than some other methods! But if you want to make the rafter longer you have to go edit the sketch right? Man I'd love to just be able to be able to say this is a 2x4, 14' long, and the end is cut at an angle like "this".

I guess I'll need to go that route. Thanks! Sometimes knowing that other, possibly smarter people, are doing things the way you thought seemed dumb, makes you feel like maybe it wasn't such a bad idea afterall...