[ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by paullee »

ABeton wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:16 pm So some observations of which you are probably also aware off. It is not very intuitive at the start, because it should have the wall command inside the workbench. Placement of objects in a mathematical way is slow also. But this is a work in progress of course, so it takes time. What matters is the principle and I think this could really work :)

Now seeing this I realise that we really need to have graphical commands inside the FreeCAD view. So if I want to move a window, to have some icons next to the window which allow me to do this. Also for walls, if the wall is clicked that the dimensions of the wall are displayed next to it and can be changed in an easy way. And so on, we need these ease of use things to make the workbench and FreeCAD in general attractive for more architects.
Thanks for the observations :)

Indeed, there are lots of things I do not know how to do, as simple as combining different workbench's command :lol:

And yes the placement of object needs some mathematics. It is minimal for ArchSketch attachment, but more for ArchObjects and Links as the latter do not have AttachmentOffset at the moment. It would be less when support is added to ArchObjects and Links - learned from @Realthundar this should had been fixed for Link sometime earlier this year. And probably less if Attaching by O-N-X (or something like that experimented in a discussion with @JQL).

And much more things to learn for GUI also !

Currently the 3 commands needs pressing 'Escape' to end, or user can initiate another command and make the interface really confusing! But I have not idea how to improve it nor the time to search for the solution :lol:

Look forward to you and all others improvement to FreeCAD and Arch/BIM/Draft WB!
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request / PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:57 am Thanks! Done some further reformatting, adding some images and icons :)
And attempt to submit PR to update ArchEquipment.py, ArchWindow.py so peoples needs not update these manually, hope @yorik would accept it :D

ArchEquipment.py first [EDIT] - PR

ArchEquipment.py
(15.89 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request / PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by paullee »

Now ArchWindow.py - PR

ArchWindow.py
(76.1 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
carlopav
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by carlopav »

@paullee0 Are you sure that adding a reference in the core to an external module is something desirable? Isn't there any other way?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by paullee »

carlopav wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 pm @paullee0 Are you sure that adding a reference in the core to an external module is something desirable? Isn't there any other way?
No sure I understand, do you mean the code in Arch should better not importing module of an external module?

Not formally trained with programming, not sure what is the good practice :) Any better idea? Thanks.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

paullee wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:08 pm do you mean the code in Arch should better not importing module of an external module?
I feel so, even if in not sure. I was just asking cause i have this doubt :)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

carlopav wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:26 pm I feel so, even if in not sure. I was just asking cause i have this doubt :)
Thanks pointing this out, maybe this would be further reviewed and commented in github :)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:47 am And attempt to submit PR to update ArchEquipment.py, ArchWindow.py so peoples needs not update these manually, hope @yorik would accept it :D

ArchEquipment.py first [EDIT] - PR
Following comments in github, revising the ArchEquipment.py, see if anybody would help to test :) Thanks!

ArchEquipment.py
(17.03 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Also attach updated ArchWindow.py

ArchWindow.py
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Further to the demonstration in discussion 'Toponamng-tolerant' Feature , the module is updated.

See anyone would like to help testing?

Python Updated
  1. Download the whole SketchArch Addon module in https://github.com/paullee0/FreeCAD_SketchArch
  2. or, replace below ArchSketchObject.py if the addon is previously installed on your system
    ArchSketchObject.py
    (78.86 KiB) Downloaded 62 times