[ Comments Request /PR ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by Kunda1 »

paullee wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:55 pm Thanks, would update the README then. No 3rd party dependencies, just basic usage of python :)
Great, give me a heads up when you're ready. Then I'll add the workbench to the Addon Manager ;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ Comments Request ] Intuitive Automatic Windows/Doors + Equipment Placement

Post by paullee »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 pm Great, give me a heads up when you're ready. Then I'll add the workbench to the Addon Manager ;)
Thanks, found it already stated as experimental https://github.com/paullee0/FreeCAD_Ske ... /README.md

Would further update the installation section when it could be installed via Add-on Manager.

Just this will do? Seems much simpler than I thought.

Hope it worth your effort :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Some pointers:
Populate the feedback section of the readme explaining for further discussion link to this form thread.
Add a license file and link to it from the readme
Update the install section by mentioning that the workbench is now available via the addon manager link to the add-on manager wiki page from the readme
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Good news! :D
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:05 am Some pointers:
Populate the feedback section of the readme explaining for further discussion link to this form thread.
Add a license file and link to it from the readme
Update the install section by mentioning that the workbench is now available via the addon manager link to the add-on manager wiki page from the readme
Done, please check :)

Thanks.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

paullee wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:18 pm Done, please check :)
Made some PRs. Please add some succinct bullet points regarding features of the workbench, i left you bulletpoints to fill in.
Also consider choosing some images/screencasts that you'd like to be featured on the README

Let me know if you need any help. Give me a heads up if you're done.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:11 pm Made some PRs. Please add some succinct bullet points regarding features of the workbench, i left you bulletpoints to fill in.
Also consider choosing some images/screencasts that you'd like to be featured on the README

Let me know if you need any help. Give me a heads up if you're done.

Thanks! Done some further reformatting, adding some images and icons :)

It's a good exercise to organise my thoughts indeed.

And should have some wiki on how to use the few Gui Commands.
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

Hello Paullee, I have been watching your project for some time, and wanted to test it out, but I encounterd a problem when I create the ArchSketch and try to add lines to it. This is the error:

Code: Select all

13:59:34  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Sketch Arch\ArchSketchObject.py", line 234, in execute
    self.updateSortedClustersEdgesOrder(fp)					
  File "C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Sketch Arch\ArchSketchObject.py", line 246, in updateSortedClustersEdgesOrder
    clEdgePartnerIndex, clEdgeSameIndex, clEdgeEqualIndex, clEdgePartnerIndexFlat, clEdgeSameIndexFlat, clEdgeEqualIndexFlat = getSketchSortedClEdgesOrder(fp)				
  File "C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Sketch Arch\ArchSketchObject.py", line 1168, in getSketchSortedClEdgesOrder
    if not construction:							
<class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'construction' referenced before assignment
  File "C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Sketch Arch\ArchSketchObject.py", line 234, in execute
    self.updateSortedClustersEdgesOrder(fp)					
  File "C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Sketch Arch\ArchSketchObject.py", line 246, in updateSortedClustersEdgesOrder
    clEdgePartnerIndex, clEdgeSameIndex, clEdgeEqualIndex, clEdgePartnerIndexFlat, clEdgeSameIndexFlat, clEdgeEqualIndexFlat = getSketchSortedClEdgesOrder(fp)				
  File "C:\Users\stefa\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Sketch Arch\ArchSketchObject.py", line 1168, in getSketchSortedClEdgesOrder
    if not construction:							
<class 'UnboundLocalError'>: local variable 'construction' referenced before assignment
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23463 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: adc6db8f32c17e9f67cb82aa7962d1e42ce061c6
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

ABeton wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Code: Select all

if not construction:							
Version: 0.19.23463 (Git)
I see, thanks for trying. @abdullah introduced a facadeList property for Sketch at some point and retire the construction, I thought my test in the code make it backward and forward-compatible but it seems not :)

Update your FC to at least git 23756 and test, it is my working copy and it should work.

(Before I may attempt to make it 'early_0.19-pre compatible' :) )
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

Ok I tried it with the newest build... This is some great stuff :D Being able to edit alignement and width of single walls in a sketch is perfect. I like it that the object tree is kept really simple in this way, architects should not deal with big object trees.

So some observations of which you are probably also aware off. It is not very intuitive at the start, because it should have the wall command inside the workbench. Placement of objects in a mathematical way is slow also. But this is a work in progress of course, so it takes time. What matters is the principle and I think this could really work :)

Now seeing this I realise that we really need to have graphical commands inside the FreeCAD view. So if I want to move a window, to have some icons next to the window which allow me to do this. Also for walls, if the wall is clicked that the dimensions of the wall are displayed next to it and can be changed in an easy way. And so on, we need these ease of use things to make the workbench and FreeCAD in general attractive for more architects.

I need to finish the library stuff I have been working on, and than I will go through your code to understand it better. I am still in the process of understanding what would be the best workflow for doing architecture in FreeCAD and if this i it I could help you out if you want, perhaps by creating the graphical interface(first I need to learn how to do it of course :lol: )