Workflow

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agima2

Workflow

Post by agima2 »

Hello Arch User!
Hello Yorik!

Yorik! Great work you are doing with Arch and Bim Workbench.

Pardon my English because I'm German and over 50 years old. In school at that time Russian was the main compulsory subject.
English I taught myself as much as possible.
This is my first question in English. This is why I use Deepl. I hope you can understand my way of expression.
In the German FreeCAD Forum there are unfortunately very few people who are familiar with the Arch/Bim Workbench.

I am currently working on a carport with one floor and a gabled roof (beam construction). This is connected to a house.
At the moment I did the whole thing first with part design and now with part. Later I want to export the whole thing to Blender.

But I think it will work with the Arch or Bim Workbench, because they were made for it.
What is the difference between Arch and Bim Workbench? Maybe you can answer this with simple words.
Is it possible to select a wooden beam with dimensions and place it exactly where you want it?
Unfortunately, I can't find any current videos about how to get started. The videos I have seen only deal with walls with doors and windows.
Everybody starts in a different way and I think they are mostly outdated or difficult to understand.
It might be useful to make some example videos about how to do this.
There is no tutorial from A-Z as I have noticed.
A new tutorial series based on the 0.19 version would be best. Start with the basics, so that even a beginner understands everything.
I think this will help a lot of german people who want to learn more about the Arch/Bim Workbench.
What do you think?

I have added a file how the whole thing should look like.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Attachments
Carport_Anbau.FCStd
(156.41 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Workflow

Post by bitacovir »

agima2 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:47 am What is the difference between Arch and Bim Workbench? Maybe you can answer this with simple words.
Is it possible to select a wooden beam with dimensions and place it exactly where you want it?
Both Workbenches are almost the same. BIM WB is experimental and focused on more advanced BIM users. Just work with Arch WB.
Yes. you can work with beams. That option is in the command Structural Element, next to the wall icon in the tool bar. You can check the arch nodule wiki for more information: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_Module
Also there is a BIM tutorial that can be a help: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Manual:BIM_modeling
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
agima2

Post by agima2 »

Thanks bitacovir !

I will have a closer look at the links again.
Let's see if I can somehow get the former into the Arch Workbench.
But maybe I have to get used to the Draft Workbench first, because as I understood it is the basis.

MfG.
qdos

Post by qdos »

Your English is perfect agima2

I'm also struggling to learn FreeCAD and I really like the BIM workspace from what I've seen in some of the online Youtube videos I've watched. Sadly there does not appear to be anything from an entry level perspective to help newcomers get to grips with these workspaces . I very much believe that this is why a lot of potential FreeCAD users turn away.

I'm a Fusion360 refugee though I'm a keen OpenSource advocate I'm determined to master (or at least get to a level where I can jump in and design something as quickly as I can in Fusion)

More tutorials at a basic level are desperately needed. FreeCAD is an amazing CAD platform I tried it several years ago but got persuaded to go the Fusion route. I'm back now and determined to stick with FreeCAD
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Two things to comment on:
1) Please always post you About onfo when asking for assistance.
2) For anything BIM related, we recommended using FreeCAD v0.19
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Welcome @qdos (1st post), and @agima2 (1st post in Arch/BIM sub-forum ?) :D

Maybe you would like to have a look at @yorik blog about FreeCAD development in addition to wiki.

Also there are a numbers of video, I can remember @regis on youtube e.g.

Then a few 'sample' models by Yorik, Church of Light by @bitacovir is a good start also I think. Have a look at Architecture 3D models created in FreeCAD on OSArch wiki

BTW @agima2, amazing model without using Arch / BIM module ! :lol: You would want to use Arch e.g. if you want to export to IFC.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

hi,
More tutorials at a basic level are desperately needed.
@qdos, care to list some things that you got stuck on.

Maybe someone will come along and do write-ups for some of those points ;)