Arch WB / Different Floors (Building parts) / Support for Draft objects

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
HiFiJ

Arch WB / Different Floors (Building parts) / Support for Draft objects

Postby HiFiJ » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:26 am

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of modeling a multi-level (4 floors) building. Therefore I set up multiple buildingparts, one for every level.

I am trying now to grasp how to go on with my model, placing the lines (as a base for walls) so that I can later change the floor height.

I imagine that I need to set the "Support" property of every newly drawn line, and wonder if there is an automatic way to enable this (set support to relevant buildingpart - say ground floor - for new wires etc.)?

Or is there another recommended workflow for placing walls on different levels which can be modified later on?

Thanks very much for your hints and have a great day,

Joost

Btw.: I enabled "Set support property..." in Draft preferences and "Set 'Move with host'..." in Arch preferences, but especially the former does not seem to work as I imagined.

fc1.jpg
fc1.jpg (221.67 KiB) Viewed 710 times
OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/default)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23323 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 512d5c6141aec52b6eecc67370336a28fde862a6
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
HiFiJ

Re: Arch WB / Different Floors (Building parts) / Support for Draft objects

Postby HiFiJ » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Would I try to Map every line manually to the buildingpart/floor?

If I do it like this, it seems to work (draft lines moving when altering buildingpart z position), but I am completely clueless if that's the recommended way to do multiple floors. Seems pretty laborintensive as well...
paullee

Postby paullee » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:34 pm

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:42 am Ping
@Mod / @Kunda, perhaps move this to Draft, Arch & BIM sub-forum ?
paullee

Postby paullee » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm

HiFiJ wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm Would I try to Map every line manually to the buildingpart/floor?

If I do it like this, it seems to work (draft lines moving when altering buildingpart z position), but I am completely clueless if that's the recommended way to do multiple floors. Seems pretty laborintensive as well...

I do not use much of the 'Move with Host" " Move base" workflow, there are peoples use this workflow can provide some suggestion.

In the meantime, maybe you post your model file for ease of reference and discussion.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:26 pm

paullee wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:34 pm @Mod / @Kunda, perhaps move this to Draft, Arch & BIM sub-forum ?
Done.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
paullee

Postby paullee » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:45 am

AndrewA

Postby AndrewA » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:04 am

HiFiJ wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm Would I try to Map every line manually to the buildingpart/floor?

There are several ways to work this, depending on what you are trying to achieve, or even know at the outset. If all floors have identical features, clone/Array is probably the tool you need, then adding the different details after, the use of parametric references can then be very powerful.

However, I'm not sure if that is what you are after. The attached example has a BuildingPart:Ground with the wall height set to 0. This then means that you can set the height property in the BuildingPart and all the walls will take that.
If you then select and copy the BuildingPart:Ground in the tree it will give you a list of dependencies to copy. Untick Wire and Line, then past into the tree. It should give you another building part but based on the same wires, not copying the wires. The z position can then be set with a parametrically to the height of the BuildingPart:Ground

<<Ground>>.Height

(NB Ideally you would actually set it to

<<Ground>>.Placement.Position.z + <<Ground>>.Height

as this would then work for copying it up each floor changing <<Ground>> to the name of the floor below, unfortunaly when you try <<Ground>>.Placement it gives a message that it is unimplemented, so the Position.z maybe wrong. There may be a way round, but I have not found it, and as I have not gone over 3 levels it has not caused me problems. For now you just need to add up the heights of all the floors below.)

Again unfortunately if you do it in this order and then add windows, the windows do not move with the wall, despite having the move with host/base set. I have not found the answer to this, but currently believe it is a bug. I have got round it by parametrically setting the windows as well.
Be warned their are two more problems that I have had. If you change something, the undo is very unreliable, so I find myself saving and reverting often. Also adding windows although they only appear in the right place on the model, in the tree they appear in the equivalent wall in all the building parts you have copied.

Hopefully someone has a better way

Andrew
Attachments
MultiFloor.FCStd
(60.09 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
HiFiJ

Postby HiFiJ » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi AndrewA,
thank you very much for your detailed answer! This will surely help me and others along.
Unfortunately, I do not have sufficient time to try your workflow right now, but will surely try to follow along and get back with results here in the coming days.
Thanks again for your valuable and extensive info,

Joost
HiFiJ

Postby HiFiJ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi Andrew,

just to get back to your answer, I tried this out and followed your guide over the holidays and found you summed up the pros and cons pretty well, thanks!
With the problems regarding the window placement and such, I chose to do the floors manually now, as I only have to model around 4 levels (it's a split level building).

Thanks a lot,

Joost