New Stick Frame Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
prandall

Re: New Stick Frame Workbench

Post by prandall »

freedman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:01 pm That's interesting and a good start. You might look at using Part containers, this will allow you to do more organizing and clean up the tree.

This will be challenging once the builders have a say, I don't think I have ever meet two builders that agree on everything. :)
I definitely want to move items into the Part container. Yours is good advice. I have had difficulty changing the Icon of the Part Container and there is some Placement wrangling that I seem to not understand yet. But after a while ( no longer frustrated by it ) I will try again.

You are right about the builders, this stuff is almost art. Hopefully I can add more flexibility as I learn and grow.
3D Printing, CAD, Electronics and other errata at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/mathcodeprint
prandall

Post by prandall »

I just wanted to add to this old thread that I have recently pushed some updates. It works a little better now.

Added:
- Basic Attachment
- Walls/Structures added based on a line length.
- Reduced some code redundancy ( more to go )
- Cleaned up some Placements ( more to go )
3D Printing, CAD, Electronics and other errata at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/mathcodeprint
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

prandall wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am I just wanted to add to this old thread that I have recently pushed some updates. It works a little better now.
Thanks for keeping this great work!!
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Cafinux

Post by Cafinux »

This is cool, finally a workbench that can be developed to be useful for timber frame construction housing around the world. The reason I'm interested is I've just designed some alterations to my house. I have a pile of ideas of how what and where we could develop this, but I'm not a programmer and only write python scripts including some which are from personalizing FreeCAD. So I would love to, as long as it's not too much of a pain, try and enter into the development of this work bench.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

This is very exciting !

Good framing tools are hard to come buy.

ChiefArchitect does it extremely well but the software is not cheap and SketchUp requires many additional commercial extensions to be able to do this if you also have the already commercial license...

I agree with the steel framing suggestion!
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

prandall wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 am
When can this be added to the Addon Manager ?
Do you mind souping up the README a bit ? (See yorik's BIM workbench as a template)
Have you presented the workbench to the OSArch folks ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

Nice!
I made a similar macro, to create Steel Frames, with arbitrary number and position of windows / doors. Maybe you want to look at my code as it would be very easy to modify for Stick profiles instead of the Steel Studs I have.

Hope this helps

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26092
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:15 pm Any possible collaboration with Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro ? :)
Hope he had visited the discussion :D
hhassey wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:34 pm I made a similar macro, to create Steel Frames, with arbitrary number and position of windows / doors. Maybe you want to look at my code as it would be very easy to modify for Stick profiles instead of the Steel Studs I have.

Hope this helps

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=26092

BTW, not aware where is your code?

Thanks !