[SOLVED] Walls like ogres, have layers… and windows

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
steelman

[SOLVED] Walls like ogres, have layers… and windows

Post by steelman »

Hi,

I built myself a very simple model of a building. Some walls (made of blocks), some windows. But these are raw walls. What about thermal insulation on the outside? What about a nice plaster on the inside? Ok, I think, how about building more walls, setting their thickness, and other properties, but then my windows will stay inside the wall.

What is the proper way, to model (and get different hatching in TechDraw maybe) different layers of walls with as little effort to keep windows as possible?
Last edited by steelman on Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sww1235

Re: Walls like ogres, have layers… and windows

Post by sww1235 »

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_MultiMaterial is the recommended way to get a multilayered wall.
steelman

Re: Walls like ogres, have layers… and windows

Post by steelman »

sww1235 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:21 pm https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_MultiMaterial is the recommended way to get a multilayered wall.
After asking in a different thread how to hide arbitrary layers of a multi-material wall I was advised to build separate wall for each material.
paullee wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:39 pm
steelman wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:30 am thought about it. This approach, however, doesn't go well with windows (each Wall layer needs its own Window, and I end up with 4-5 Windows per single opening. Am I wrong?), even though it would work for lintels, which also seem to not be fully compatible with multimaterial approach.
Windows has a host property which you can select a number of host /to punch holes on them
Which makes even more sense, when you learn from the video below, that you can build multiple walls from a single Wire (or a Sketch in my case).

phpBB [video]
Okavango

Re: [SOLVED] Walls like ogres, have layers… and windows

Post by Okavango »

Come on everyone - we need proper multilayered walls already. No one needs single-layered walls except in a concept stage which is about 10% of a standard architectural pipeline and because of FreeCAD's UI cumbersome limitations it is not even being used in that stage. I am coming from actual architectural practice - if we are really being honest to ourselves, FreeCAD will not be adopted as a real practice option without a hassle free multilayered wall with easy one - hole window procedure and easy joining with other walls. And yes - when you move a wall the window moves with it.

I know, i am not a coder and don't have the time to help in serous ways, but i have been checking this software for years now to be able to jump over with real commercial arch pipeline. Opposing all the twitter hype - it is NOT practice ready. @yorik Again, with apologies to all these people helping out with actual coding and bug reporting, a friendly advice - perhaps it is time to check the priorities...
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Okavango wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am Come on everyone - we need proper multilayered walls already. No one needs single-layered walls except in a concept stage which is about 10% of a standard architectural pipeline and because of FreeCAD's UI cumbersome limitations it is not even being used in that stage. I am coming from actual architectural practice - if we are really being honest to ourselves, FreeCAD will not be adopted as a real practice option without a hassle free multilayered wall with easy one - hole window procedure and easy joining with other walls. And yes - when you move a wall the window moves with it.

Maybe you can illustrate your ideal workflow and feature about multi-layer wall ? in a new thread ? Thanks :)
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Okavango wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am I know, i am not a coder and don't have the time to help in serous ways, but i have been checking this software for years now to be able to jump over with real commercial arch pipeline. Opposing all the twitter hype - it is NOT practice ready. @yorik Again, with apologies to all these people helping out with actual coding and bug reporting, a friendly advice - perhaps it is time to check the priorities...
Where is the hype ?!?
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)