The BIM Framework and FreeCad (FC)

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
F_Rosa

The BIM Framework and FreeCad (FC)

Post by F_Rosa »

I write this text in order to contribute to the discussion about BIM and, in general, what would be the CAD resources needed to meet this concept. I would also like to raise questions about FC specifics: after all, what would be the expectations between the mentioned requirements and FC development? What is FC already capable of meeting and what features do you need or want to implement in FC to meet BIM?

It is not intended to expose here any major news about FC, taking into account the people who have worked with it since its beginning and what has already been exposed in this forum, (in this sense, the full reading of the Yorik post, for example, where he give us a very good description of BIM in FC, is practically mandatory - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17498). But it is clear that each one can bring new visions and work methods, based on the way the CF is used to develop their activity.

I understand that the development of FC does not intend to follow a path with rigid goals and deadlines set to follow, but its spirit of freedom also allows for the agreement of different work philosophies. This has allowed the discussion and exposure of ideas, expectations, needs and desires regarding FC, the very existence of channels like this forum are proof of this.

1. BIM concept

In order to collaborate on the matter, I have produced a very brief scheme of the BIM process for discussion (figure 01). From the outset, I understand that there is not a single BIM, but several according to the object to be designed, the evolution of project execution, construction or manufacturing, maintenance, operation, recycling or demolition of the built elements, whether they are a small object, machine, isolated building or even an urban complex (with infrastructure, landscaping, etc.).

Figure 01
Figure 01
Esquema BIM_ingles_R00.jpg (707.91 KiB) Viewed 5037 times

At the third line of the chart (PROJECTS 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5) is the traditional evolution of projects (before the advent of BIM). In the intermediate part (BIM 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5)), we see how the integrated models (BIM) evolve during the various stages of the entire process. Finally, in the last line (DOCS 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5), there are the various documents extracted at each stage, in general, these do not necessarily represent a novelty, only in the way they can now be produced from automated, integrated and updated way.

However, PROJECTS, unlike the traditional way, can already be linked and integrated with each other, even before they configure the corresponding BIM. Each original thematic project (eg Architecture) can already receive linked information from other projects as needed. If one of the projects and/or surveys involved changes, the others will receive these changes and will be updated. But wouldn't this already be BIM? In many usual situations I would say yes, but conceptually, not yet.

As we know, with BIM it is possible to carry out analyzes of thermal, acoustic, luminous, cost and quantitative performance, verification of conflicts and compatibility between the various design disciplines, and the compliance with technical and legislative standards. However, the reports resulting from these analyzes and verifications are information that could have originally been prepared outside of BIM, but which will be contained therein in a linked manner. Thus, we realize that each of the BIM (1 to 5) also undergoes its own evolution, before and after the analysis, verification and approval process, and somehow this must be clear and registered.

But, unlike PROJECTS, it would be interesting if BIM would be compound only with linked copies of the various issues involved, in this manner there would be no way to modify information in it, only consultation and extraction of information (DOCs). Only the project's authors could make changes in their respective works. However, for this net of linked file works, it has to work with a platform that reads the files directly, without conversions and imports/exports of different files.

DOC (from 1 to 5) are drawn exclusively from their corresponding BIM (from 1 to 5), and unlike the traditional way, they are not produced from its design discipline, in isolation and disintegrated way. This guarantees the effectiveness of the system and justifies its adoption, as the DOCs in theory already contain information analyzed, verified, reconciled and approved in an integrated manner, otherwise, this must be very well registered in some part of them (“this document is still preliminary and not approved and/or compatible”, for example).

Of course, in reality there are numerous file formats involved (text, images, spreadsheets, 2D CAD, 3D CAD, mesh CAD, solid CAD, parametric CAD, etc.), making the work practically insane, this is one of the greatest challenges to adopt BIM. I believe that in order to start an experiment with FC, it would be wise to simplify it and work with a minimum of files format1.
  • 1. Note that any format different from FC would compromise the direct linking of the files, and it would be necessary to export them to a common format such as the IFC, then they must be imported and converted to various formats of the target programs, ie exports/conversions, imports/conversions. All of this threatens the integrity of projects information, as each conversion may result in loss or change of it.
Well, that would be a very brief summary of the subject, for sure. It is open to discussions and to the different points of view and experiences of each one. On my side, I have worked with management and compatibility of large architectural and engineering projects for many years, and also I tried some experiments with FC modeling a preliminary BIM, mainly in 2016 (figures 02 and 03).

Figure 02
Figure 02
Perspectiva 01.jpg (384.93 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Figure 03
Figure 03
Perspectva 02.jpg (351.3 KiB) Viewed 5037 times

2. Current Status of FC

The projects linked wich others (figure 1 – PROJECTs) already it is possible on the FC platform, either using the current workbenches or creating new ones to meet the pending disciplines. So far, I believe we can reach a good intermediate level (very generally speaking), both in 3D (stronger) and in 2D (not so much). 2D imports and exports, as well as their manipulations and elaborations, are generally more complicated than 3D ones. As for linking between projects, this has taken a big leap lately with applinks resources. It's already perfectly possible and very easy and fast to pass an original content from one file (project) to another and link them (also I tried it on a repercussive way, but I don't know if it's recommended and the only way to close a file is to choose "close everything").

In addition, through BIM with linked copies of the various files, as discussed, make us possible to perform various tasks in a lighter way. It would be nice to have a clash detection tool and automatic reporting of this issue. It would also be interesting to have some tools, or why not say an entire workbench, to verify compliance with technical and legal standards, with regard to physical aspects (such as minimum or maximum size of rooms, ventilation and lighting, natural light, etc.). Thus, a joint verification of the BIM would be carried out before extracting the approvals and execution documentation.

As for the extraction of documents (DOC 1 to 5), the FC still partially answers of it, with some potential to provide an advanced level for some items, for example, in the generation of technical and quantitative drawings and illustrative perspectives. Memorials and reports, still not so much. For this, a mechanism can be adopted that creates a linked dependency between text and CAD files within BIM. Thus, for example, a descriptive memorial of the work would be linked to the 3D file, a change in the material or its technical characteristics would reflect directly in the text and linked to the BIM.
Last edited by F_Rosa on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
F_Rosa

Re: The BIM Framework and FreeCad (FC)

Post by F_Rosa »

3. Using linked files - Vila Matilde House, 1990

In order to test some of these procedures (linked files), I chose a little residential project from the past. So, I separated some aspects of the project in different files (structure, frames, joinery, etc.) and linked them to architecture, thus forming a “PROJECT 2” (figures 04, 05 and 06). The idea was to use only FC files and see how far you can go (I have posted the complete process in
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60050).

Figure 04
Figure 04
Arquitetura_01.jpg (209.67 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Figure 05
Figure 05
Estrutura_01.jpg (190.37 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Figure 06
Figure 06
Marcenaria_01.jpg (150.06 KiB) Viewed 5026 times

Parts, BuildingParts, Groups, etc.

After several tests, I found that using a set of objects in Compounds, after creating a link of these in another file, was the most successful. Using Parts would be much more convenient and faster to link them to other files, but I couldn't use them in the architecture sections inside Techdraw. I was not able to link the BuildingParts to other files, nor the Groups, although it is possible to create links from them in the same file, they are not visible when inserted in other files. I believe it will be more practical if the building designs are done with the linked Arch Workbench parts (Building, Floor, etc.) as well. It is likely that in the future this will be corrected.

I also noticed that the links inserted in other files, in general, do not keep the final position of the objects, but their base (line to the walls, for example), so I had to position the base lines in the final positions (mainly its heights) and set the coordinates of the positions of the walls dependent on them to zero. For furniture, however, the adoption of the Equipments works well. Another way to maintain coordinates from one file to another is, when possible, to use Groups with transform links (right click, pop-up menu).

2D drawings

To generate the 2D drawings (plans, sections and elevations) I used a file with the linked copies of the projects (architecture, structure, joinery, etc.). Through this, it is possible to avoid the TechDraw's current recomputes delay when you work in the original files. To further alleviate this problem, I created a linked copies file for each drawing. If I change any element of one of the original files, these resulting files are updated immediately, just like the 2D drawings (figures 07 and 08).

Figure 07
Figure 07
VM_Planta_3,70_03_Carimbo.jpg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Figure 08
Figure 08
VM_Corte_C_carimbo.jpg (112.2 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Last edited by F_Rosa on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

4. Workflow in FC

Finally, I would like to expose a possible workflow to be adopted to reach the BIM environment working with FC (figure 09). The first column show us the conversion of the data or designs received from 2D CAD to 2D FCStd, in general from DXF to FCStd. These files would be linked to future FCStd 3D files (second column of the figure). The same procedure applies for third-party 3D CAD files. For this conversion it is preferable to work with formats that lose less information when opening them in FC, that is, starting by the types of formats such as parametric CAD (fcstd, ifc and brep), "solid" CAD (iges , igs, step, among others), “generic” CAD (dwg and dxf) or “mesh” CAD (obj, dae, stl, dxf, among others)2. In any case, it's always a good idea to experiment with one or another format to see which is the best export/import option.
  • 2. If I have made any mistakes in this classification, please correct me
Figure 09
Figure 09
Esquema_arquivos_ingles_r01_F_Rosa_2021.JPG (358.6 KiB) Viewed 4947 times

FreeCad BIM Manager Cloud or FreeCad BIM Manager Server

Once all the necessary 2D/3D conversions have been performed, we reach to what we call PROJECTS in the previous chart. From there we can assemble the BIM with linked copies of the FC files or export them to IFC format and send them to one of the existing third-party BIM managers on the cloud (or one based on FC, a FreeCad BIM Manager Cloud?) and manage and extract the necessary documents in it (last column of the figure). For more complex projects, I believe this is the most viable option for the current state of FC. In the case of small projects, BIM based on the FC format (a FreeCad BIM Manager Server) could do the job, still with the help of other applications, especially for technical drawings, spreadsheets and final realistic perspectives.

In conclusion, working with the FC can act in two main ways:

• Providing files to an external BIM platform, that is, working in one or more isolated disciplines (architecture, engineering, etc.) and exporting files to IFC and BCF (BIM Collaboration Format) - example posted in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=20;

• Acting as a BIM platform and receiving external files, with most of the different projects in native FC format and eventually receiving files in IFC and BCF.

Anyway, this would be an overview of the subject, which I would like to share and receive comments and necessary corrections from everyone, but mostly from Yorik, of course. People who already work in a BIM framework with FC could describe their experiences about it. I've been writing all this down individually, but why not let it registered in this forum and be able to share experiences and ideas and enrich them even more? I think that is the spirit, isn't it?
Last edited by F_Rosa on Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Wow! Sensational! Just read through 1st post and there are more to learn :D

The model would be very helpful to study the workflow and organisation! Can it be shared ?

This should be shared in the User Showcase and OSArch.
bitacovir wrote: Ping
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

Wow! Sensational! Just read through 1st post and there are more to learn
Thank you!

The model would be very helpful to study the workflow and organisation! Can it be shared ?
I think it will be more useful for everyone if I share a template, what you think?

This should be shared in the User Showcase and OSArch.
It will be a honor!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

F_Rosa wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:41 pm I think it will be more useful for everyone if I share a template, what you think?
Definitelty! Thanks :)

I am not aware of the building you show, would be encouraging if you show more images to show how far FC can go !
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

F_Rosa wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:41 pm
I think it will be more useful for everyone if I share a template, what you think?
Thanks for sharing such a good process idea. And yes: a template would be very very useful to deeply understade it.
Last edited by ragohix769 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

I think this is very interesting. If you can share as much files as possible it would be great. We can link it to OSArch community. Also, you could create a wiki page in the OSArch wiki to show your workflow.
https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... w_Examples

Here my workflow:
https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... D_workflow
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

I am not aware of the building you show, would be encouraging if you show more images to show how far FC can go !
Thanks for sharing such a good process idea. And yes: a template would be very very useful to deeply understade it.
Thanks for your interest and feedbak. I will prepare some material to post.

bitacovir, thanks for the guidance, I'll take a look and as I said, it will be an honor to be able to contribute.
duncan.lithgow

Post by duncan.lithgow »

It would be so great if you could share as much as possible! The more awareness we can create of FreeCAD as a feasible tool for BIM projects the more interest and development we will see.