Arch objects semantic and geometry data

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Arch objects semantic and geometry data

Post by carlopav »

I remember there was a topic where @yorik and @moult were discussing about the possibility of separating Arch objects semantic and geometry part, but I can't find it.
In a recent discussion with @matthijskooijman, the point came out again, so I did ask myself if this still can be something to address the development (also to take into account the various paths that Arch_Wall is being developed, and wondering if we could by the way reunite them all in a single powerful yet simple object).
For example the current Arch_Wall is already a big beast, allowing a lot of flexibility, but hiding a great complexity of the code (at least to me). It can generate the wall from many different Base objects: sketches, faces, lines, solids, peculiar archSketches, single line sketches (WallTrace); and it also have an algorithm to create layers, and another to create blocks and subdivisions... that's a lot of food! also if you think that all that can be exported to IFC.

So I was thinking: could we think about a wall just as a container, and compose it with different geometry generation objects added to it depending on user needs? Something like

Code: Select all

Arch_Wall
	-> inherited semantical part (IFC Wall)
	Arch_Wall.Geometry_object =	- Simple_wall_geometry
							- Wall_from_sketch_geometry
							- Wall_from_arch_sketch_geometry
							- Wall_from_face_geometry
							- or better Profile_extrusion, Vertical Extrusion, Thin_element_extrusion, Sweep, From_solid...
In a way that every different algorithm fill the wall object with it's own properties and determines how the geometry is generated, keeping the object simple and allowing an easier extension with other methods. Perhaps if those geometry modules could be standardized, they could be reused accross different objects or can match IFC geometry description...
Each geometry object could have standard methods to generate peculiar IFC code, to calculate the wall surface, to fill IFC properties...

could this be something feasible or worth exploring? what do you think?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
paullee
Veteran

Re: Arch objects semantic and geometry data

Post by paullee »

Yes, there was some discussions about that, just forgot any conclusion or concensus then?

In fact, seems all ArchObjects can accept any underlying geometry, e.g. ArchWall would accept a complex curvilinear solid as base and 'contain' it as Wall. So it works as 'container' somehow in any rate.

Not sure I understand the issue and remember the previous discussions :D
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

So it would function in a way which is a bit similar to the Part object but with IFC related properties?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Another issue may be about Arch Stairs.

A Wall can mostly be simply abstracted as a long linear volume regardless it may be a composite of wall layers, until detailing or production of construction drawings.

ArchStairs start out has Tread, Riser, Railing on its Structure. Currently, the Shape in ArchStairs do not distinguish those part except making those parts as Compound.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

paullee wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:35 pm Another issue may be about Arch Stairs.

A Wall can mostly be simply abstracted as a long linear volume regardless it may be a composite of wall layers, until detailing or production of construction drawings.

ArchStairs start out has Tread, Riser, Railing on its Structure. Currently, the Shape in ArchStairs do not distinguish those part except making those parts as Compound.
Yes, that would perfectly fit the case
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design