Door cutting depth

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Door cutting depth

Post by Roy_043 »

IMO this decision 'tree' would make sense:
  1. Use a subtractor volume if the window contains one.
  2. Use the hole depth parameter from the settings if it is non-zero. This parameter currently does not exist.
  3. If that value is missing, or set to zero, used the boundingbox of the window to calculate the hole depth.
paullee
Veteran

Re: Door cutting depth

Post by paullee »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 am IMO this decision 'tree' would make sense:
  1. Use a subtractor volume if the window contains one.
  2. Use the hole depth parameter from the settings if it is non-zero. This parameter currently does not exist.
  3. If that value is missing, or set to zero, used the boundingbox of the window to calculate the hole depth.
Ar, you are correct, should have Subvolume, that cut Hole Depth first. But the 3rd item I think is what currently ArchWindow is using, it may produce of a hole of about 2000mm, i.e. its BoundBox z-direction, so make unnecessary hole in adjoining walls.

Further thoughts based on your item 1-2:-

Manually set
  1. Use Subvolume Object if the Window contains one
  2. Use the Hole Depth parameter from the settings if it is non-zero
  3. Become 'automatic' below, if not manually set;
Automatic
(i.e. if not manually set)
  1. If the Host object to cut is Wall, use its Width (Thickness of Wall) x2 say
    (x2 to take in consideration the base Sketch is not lying on the Wall's surface)
  2. If it is a solid, may check it Boundbox. Better still, check the Thickness in the direction of Normal to the Window's (Base)
  3. If none of the above, 'default / fallback' to 500mm hardcoded