Old BIM version for 0.18

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
proghettolab

Old BIM version for 0.18

Post by proghettolab »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.16rc1
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

I uninstalled FreeCAD 0.18 to use AppImage 0.19, but when I went back to install version 0.18 I downloaded the latest BIM workbench. Unfortunately they are not compatible because the program replies "No module named draftguitools" and the workbench is not loaded. Does anyone have a BIM workbench compatible with 0.18?

Thx!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: Old BIM version for 0.18

Post by carlopav »

Ciao!
you can get from github every previous committed version, that's the good of opensource!

the version that you find here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlqe1hziwi6t8 ... a.zip?dl=0
should be ok. overwrite it to the current module and let me know!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
proghettolab

Post by proghettolab »

carlopav wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:16 am Ciao!
you can get from github every previous committed version, that's the good of opensource!

the version that you find here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlqe1hziwi6t8 ... a.zip?dl=0
should be ok. overwrite it to the current module and let me know!
Thank you but it doesn't work!
What date is the version you shared? I try to download the previous ones.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

3 june 2020, perhaps you could try an april or february one...
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

unfortunately you will have to watch out for compatibility for yourself when going to new version of fc as it is today.

if you go about it manually it should be possible though (for the pure python things).
but you have to safeguard the older versions before you start to install newer versions...

for macros it is just to copy the whole "appdata"/Macro folder, rename it to Macro_v018 or something,
when using the older fc version, just change preferences to look into the v018 folder

for the "appdata"/Mod folder, as far as I know there is no setting that allows to switch the whole folder,
but if you start by doing the same, copy the whole folder to a Mod_v018 folder you at least have the older compatible versions on your computer.
then when installing the new version of fc, go through all the add-on wb's and upgrade as needed,
then once again make a copy of the Mod folder and name it Mod_v019,

then we come to the worst part of the story, every-time you start a new session in one of the version, you will have to manually copy the correct version of the workbench to the Mod-folder.

now, all of the above is with full disclaimer and not at all tested by myself, but at least principally it should work,
the downside is that you most likely can not run multiple versions of fc at the same time with working add-ons if they require different versions (well you probably could actually if you go through the pain of renaming one of them completely, in the code, just renaming folder is not enough, so that they do not overwrite each-other)

it would be nice if the add-on folder was a user setting, that would make it easier to handle different versions of fc and add-ons.
proghettolab

Post by proghettolab »

Error is this

Code: Select all

No module named draftguitools
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 82, in Initialize
  File "/home/pmb/.FreeCAD/Mod/BIM/BimCommands.py", line 32, in <module>
    from draftguitools import gui_lines # Line tool from Draft
at the start of BimCommans.py that is this...

Code: Select all

"""This module contains FreeCAD commands for the BIM workbench"""

import os
import FreeCAD
from BimTranslateUtils import *
import ArchWindow
import DraftVecUtils
from draftguitools import gui_lines # Line tool from Draft
I tried to reinstall freecad and
freecad-python2
freecad-python3
libfreecad-python2-0.18
libfreecad-python3-0.18
but nothing!
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

The problem Is that Draft module changed in v0.19 and the BIM wb has been updated accordingly.
But no backward compatibility code was added. Our fault.
You have 2 chances: download and old version from GitHub, before the import were changed; or keep current version, and change the imports yourself by hand.

One good thing would be to release some "stabile versions of the workbench" so Major changed like that would not prevent It to be used with old FC versions, but that's not like this, and probably It won't in the future, cause i think BIM is supposed to be and experimental wb aimed to test features to be included in arch in the future.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Draft had heavy changes during 0.19 dev cycle. Draft itself is backward compatible AFAIK. This dev took place during a few month. During this period the BIM workbench was adapted acordingly. Thus if you have a FreeCAD you would need a BIM-Workbench which is just slightly newer than the FreeCAD.

But to be honest. I promise you will run into new trouble may be on other places even if you get it working and noone here will fix stuff in 0.18.

I hightly recommend you to use at least 0.19 version. The files created with whatever older version should load. If not it should be fixed in the uptodate version of FreeCAD or BIMWorkbench. This is the way we do the dev in FEM workbench. Old versions will not be fixed but any file no matter how old will load in latest FreeCAD FEM.