Arch Wall and Window Do Not Move Together

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
arxerxes

Arch Wall and Window Do Not Move Together

Post by arxerxes »

I have below a situation I have been experiencing with version 0.19 (version details attached).

The wall and window/door do not move together even if the window is hosted on the wall. The wall in the attached image was created using a sketch. The window used is the default type. The situation is the same with walls created directly using the Wall tool. The situation is the same when the wall is moved by editing the constraint dimensions of the sketch (that drives the wall) or when the wall is moved using the Move tool (i.e. when wall is created using the Wall tool).

FreeCad Wall Window Relation.PNG
FreeCad Wall Window Relation.PNG (210.17 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

Is there a fix for this issue? Please let me know.

FreeCad Wall Window Relation 2 Version.PNG
FreeCad Wall Window Relation 2 Version.PNG (349.67 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Arch Wall and Window Do Not Move Together

Post by bitacovir »

arxerxes wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 am

If you search in this subforum you will find that it was already discussed and reported to the bugtracker.
https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4592
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Sorry to note there is a regression with Move with Host feature, hope it would be fixed soon :)

If you are bold enough, you may check something highly experimental here :D
arxerxes

Post by arxerxes »

bitacovir wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:40 am
arxerxes wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 am

If you search in this subforum you will find that it was already discussed and reported to the bugtracker.
https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4592
Thanks; noted. However, I noticed that its Severity is marked as Minor. IMO, this is a major issue for anyone trying to use FreeCAD for work (deeply frustrating for a learner). If I read the page correctly there isn't a fix yet for this problem (which I think is a fundamental part of Arch. workflow). Would changing the Severity to (say) Major attract more attention?
arxerxes

Post by arxerxes »

paullee wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am Sorry to note there is a regression with Move with Host feature, hope it would be fixed soon :)

If you are bold enough, you may check something highly experimental here :D
Thank you for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Is the experimental feature available in the daily build?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Personally I do not use Move with Host so not aware of the disturbance in the workflow :D

Maybe you can select all the children objects when you try to move the parent objects to achieve similar effect with Move with Host ?

As for the experimental feature, it is an external add-on, probably for someone interesting in testing and have some knowledge in manual installation.

Good luck.
arxerxes

Post by arxerxes »

paullee wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm Personally I do not use Move with Host so not aware of the disturbance in the workflow :D

Maybe you can select all the children objects when you try to move the parent objects to achieve similar effect with Move with Host ?

Good luck.
Yeah, if you are moving by selecting both window and wall using the Move tool, it works; but if the wall is moved by changing the Sketch dimensions it doesn't work (i.e. window doesn't move with it). Can you think of anything that you know of that might be of use here?
arxerxes

Post by arxerxes »

I wanted to add a little more detail of the problem. The images show that the window stays where it was first inserted on the wall even after the wall was moved by changing the sketch dimensions. It is to be noted that the three components of the window - the sketch, window frame/glass, and the hole behave differently. The Sketch, the window frame/glass and hole stays along along the plane of the original wall position. But, the point to note here is that when the window sill height is adjusted using z axis under Position input only the window frame/glass and hole moves the sketch remains in its original location on the wall plane where it was originally inserted. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Attachments
FreeCad Wall Window Relation 3a.PNG
FreeCad Wall Window Relation 3a.PNG (271.73 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
FreeCad Wall Window Relation 3b.PNG
FreeCad Wall Window Relation 3b.PNG (250.33 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

arxerxes wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:06 am ... It is to be noted that the three components of the window - the sketch, window frame/glass, and the hole behave differently. The Sketch, the window frame/glass and hole stays along along the plane of the original wall position. But, the point to note here is that when the window sill height is adjusted using z axis under Position input only the window frame/glass and hole moves the sketch remains in its original location on the wall plane where it was originally inserted. Is this how it is supposed to work?
You can post you model so other peoples may easily understand your question and may respond with with a modified model for illustration.

To my understanding, in FreeCAD, the Sketch and the Window have their own Placement. So if you modify the Placement of the Window, it does not affect the underlying Sketch the window based on. Make thing complicated, there are attributes / properties in the Window Object that change the e.g. the Width and Height of the underlying Sketch. Then the opening the Window created is calculated.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

arxerxes wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:18 pm Thanks; noted. However, I noticed that its Severity is marked as Minor. IMO, this is a major issue for anyone trying to use FreeCAD for work (deeply frustrating for a learner). If I read the page correctly there isn't a fix yet for this problem (which I think is a fundamental part of Arch. workflow). Would changing the Severity to (say) Major attract more attention?
I totally subscribe your words. It should be marked as high priority and not a minor issue. For a serious Arch worflow this a very important problem, IMHO.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)