New stair tool

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Maykow

New stair tool

Post by Maykow »

I don't know if this is the ideal place for this topic, or if I should post in ‘Python scripting and macros’, but here we go.
My name is Maykow Menezes, I am a Civil Engineer specializing in structures, and I am Brazilian.
I recently started a project for a tool for modeling stairs, which was more complete than the one on the BIM bench, in order to have more options and make its use more intuitive.
I saw the need for this tool from conversations I had with the staff of the FreeCAD Brasil group on Telegram.
By combining some geometric parameters you can completely change the design of the stairs. It is possible to model with just a few clicks straight stairs, L-stairs U-stairs with two or three flights, and even spiral and curved stairs.
It is also possible to change the design of the steps, among the options are common step closed at the bottom, common step open at the bottom, hollow steps (without mirror) and stairs with pleated type steps.
I am currently implementing the modeling of the stringers and still need to implement the handrails, initially I want to implement 4 handrail models, then if necessary I will implement more models. If we calculate the possibilities of possible combinations of all parameters with a finite number of possibilities (parameters such as shape, model, type of step…) it will be possible to model more than 330 different types of stairs, 336 to be exact, for each new configuration option added to the code this number grow .
Yorik was interested in implementing my code in the WB BIM ladder tool, for me it will be an honor to have a script running on the BIM workbench.
Well, that's it for now, let there be what you think about it, or what you want implemented in the ladder tool or other WB BIM tools.
Let's make FreeCAD stronger, make it better and better.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: New stair tool

Post by thomas-neemann »

Maykow wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:38 am
this is very good news. I would like it if there was a possibility to insert any attribute into an ifc file myself.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Welcome and good to have more people contributing :D

I started learning python some time ago (still beginner) and tweaked Arch Stairs first. Recently there are quite several effort to build tools on Stairs but have no time to understand and incorporate. See if any would inspire you further :

Steel Stair Generator
RC stairs macro
Custom Path Stairs

Looking forward to your new tool !
Efried

Post by Efried »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 am
Maykow wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:38 am
this is very good news. I would like it if there was a possibility to insert any attribute into an ifc file myself.
I don't understand - attributes are exported to IFC if you change export parameters.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Efried wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 pm
For example, it is about fire protection values, thermal insulation values, maintenance intervals, etc., which should be partially adapted to existing software structures, company-wide standardization of text fields

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

BTW Maykow showing the new tool here (in portuguese): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9o1PZ ... e=youtu.be
Can't wait to see more!!

BTW about IFC attributes (this deserves another thread...) you can add custom IFC properties with the ÏFC properties" tool from the BIM workbench. I'd like at some point to tap into the FreeCAD properties themselves, allow user to add new properties and choose which one are exported to IFC
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:03 am
BTW about IFC attributes (this deserves another thread...) you can add custom IFC properties with the ÏFC properties" tool from the BIM workbench. I'd like at some point to tap into the FreeCAD properties themselves, allow user to add new properties and choose which one are exported to IFC
that's wonderful, as it means that freecad could even meet BASF's requirements.

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

thomas-neemann wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:07 am that's wonderful, as it means that freecad could even meet BASF's requirements.
I had a recent case of a body in brazil who controls projects created by other architects, engineers,... They would like to create their own property set, which they would ask project creators out there to use, and they would want to click an object in FreeCAD and have these properties appear in the properties list.

This is not hard to do, just we must find a way to mark which properties should be exported to IFC, and what to do on import
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:15 am
yes, I consider the coordination with the import side to be time-consuming. e.g. to carry out heat calculations, static calculations, mass determination, etc.

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

We could start with something like this:

"All object properties which begin with IFC (or ifc, or Ifc...) get exported to IFC. The property set is the property group name, and the property type is simply the FreeCAD property type (text, float,...)"

That's just a start of course, later on we could also do the opposite (when importing IFC files, all object IFC properties get turned into FreeCAD properties) but I'm still not sure because when common psets are used, objects get a load of "junk" properties, that would clutter a lot the properties editor.